Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas / Holiday Season Music - Several Threads Merged

The eons are closing
    Didn't read whole thread, but Scott Weiland's Xmas disc from 2011 is now a standard in Casa MudShark.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Two of my favorite Christmas tunes come from Tull. Ian Anderson had a knack for writing socially astute Christmas carols:

I just posted this in one of the many Tull threads going on the main board, but since its specifically a Christmas album, worth reposting here because I love it:

Thanks to your recs gentlemen[in the Tull thread], I finally tracked down a reasonably priced version of this great Tull Christmas album, the 2 CD one with the live church concert, and have been playing it to death for the past week. Fantastic stuff. Just what I thought it would sound like and what an Olde English Christmas Album should sound like. And yes, Weathercock, both studio and the live version at St. Bride's Church is stellar, and I really like Barre's Winter Snowscape. That live concert recording is really nice and crisp.

As someone who was more of a 70s era casual Tull fan who really hadn't bought anything new since about the Broadsword time period until diving into some of these Wilson box set versions recently (including Songs From the Wood--wow!), I don't think I was even aware that Tull had done a complete Christmas album, and I certainly never ran across it all these years perusing record shop bins. After rotating the same ol same old as far as Christmas albums for years, this Tull one is going to take centerstage this Christmas season! Very nice.

by the way, there is a CD/DVD version which is different than the 2 CD version with the live St.Bride's Church concert, and as far as I can glean the DVD really has nothing much to do with the Christmas album and is very short, maybe 3 tracks?. In comparing the two, the 2 CD version is clearly the one to get.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    by the way, there is a CD/DVD version which is different than the 2 CD version with the live St.Bride's Church concert, and as far as I can glean the DVD really has nothing much to do with the Christmas album and is very short, maybe 3 tracks?. In comparing the two, the 2 CD version is clearly the one to get.
    Yeah, the DVD with that version is just a handful of cuts from the Living With The Past DVD. If I recall, it was just a bit of extra promo at the time. I agree with you about the 2-CD version, it's my favourite Christmas album ever!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, the DVD with that version is just a handful of cuts from the Living With The Past DVD. If I recall, it was just a bit of extra promo at the time. I agree with you about the 2-CD version, it's my favourite Christmas album ever!
    Considering that Ian is not exactly "all in" on the whole Christian celebration of Christmas aspect, and makes his thoughts on this clear in the liner notes (taking more of an all religion cultural view of the holiday), its amazing how reverential and "traditional" that St.Brides Church concert is, and somewhat ironic how identified he is with this Christmas music.

Considering that Ian is not exactly "all in" on the whole Christian celebration of Christmas aspect, and makes his thoughts on this clear in the liner notes (taking more of an all religion cultural view of the holiday), its amazing how reverential and "traditional" that St.Brides Church concert is, and somewhat ironic how identified he is with this Christmas music.
    Plus another person not "all in" on Christian celebrations, Greg Lake, seen here. https://youtu.be/U6-PAKOt7sM

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
    Laura

One of my favorite lines from the Jethro Tull Christmas album comes from "First Snow on Brooklyn"

"And the snow covers my footprints, deep regrets and heavy heartbeats."

The older I get the more I understand it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Another Christmas song to raise money for an animal charity, this time featuring Colin Tench of the fantastic Colin Tench Project (check out their new album featuring Pete Jones - the full album just came out on Bandcamp today!), and other prog musicians I'm not familiar with but friends of his. There's one new Christmas song called Wake Up which is a lot of fun, then previously released songs by each member:

https://tierhilfe-sauerland.bandcamp.com/album/wake-up

Well worth the minimum five Euro asking price - for the animals!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The Players' Christmas album

I had never heard of this before. I was intrigued by the samples and decided to look for it but to my surprise I went into a thrift store the other day and it was in there for 50 cents and looks brand new. Nice take on Christmas classics. Thanks for posting this.

Amongst my favourite:
    Arvo Pärt, Te Deum, and Shawn Colvin, Holiday Songs and Lullabies. One, a choral work based on sacred texts; the other, one of the gentlest, most lovely holiday-based album I can play all year around.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

My wife always said it would be really nice to hear and see and choir perform carols in a church in England. Well the next best thing I guess would be a broadcast from the BBC. Here's a broadcast from the Chapel of King’s College, Cambridge on Bigozine2 which I edited out the lessons and kept the carols myself. Wish I had this Christmas Eve. Oh well, I have it now for next year.

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=3851

Following PE posts has led me to this "weird music" Christmas-themed compilation. Some nice stuff. It's officially time to talk about Christmas prog, and even Christmas music that isn't prog! But this is prog. I can see enjoying some Bailey's while listening to this on a snowy night...

https://lorecordings.bandcamp.com/al...feeling-loaf14

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This is a great disk, one of my favorites.

For those in a nostalgic mood there's John Klein Christmas Spectacular.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Sou...rds=john+klein

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Video unavailable in your country.......USA
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Disc 1 Advent/Christmas

Well, the best Christmas album is the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, of course.
    It really invokes a calm youthful mood.

This also lights up my Christmas season

GOOD LORD! IQ can sure make you Dread "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town."
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Still one of the greatest Christmas tunes of all time, and I think it hits nearer to home than many folks would like. Happy f*ckin' Holidays!

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Still one of the greatest Christmas tunes of all time, and I think it hits nearer to home than many folks would like. Happy f*ckin' Holidays!

'tis a classic! As someone who grew up in Manhattan in the 70s, I can appreciate it. I once had a really nice conversation with Elvis Costello and Kate O'Riordan in Central Park.

I like this German version, with Nina Hagen