Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Magma in NA - 2016

Magma in NA - 2016

noticed this on the seventhrecords website, and was wondering if anyone had heard anything...

03/16/2016
    USA CANADA TOUR UP TO APRIL 10TH - TBC

thanks!

Awesome! Anxiously awaiting tour dates...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll probably go though I'm seeing them in Sept at RIO anyway.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If nothing else, it means that people turned out for the tour earlier this year. Awesome.

If they come back to NYC, I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    If nothing else, it means that people turned out for the tour earlier this year. Awesome.

If they come back to NYC, I'm there.
    The gig in Boston was packed & both my daughters has a great time, it was the first time I'd seen them where I wasn't seated in an auditorium. It was great to see a mix of the young hipsters & grizzled proggers at a gig.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The gig in Boston was packed & both my daughters has a great time, it was the first time I'd seen them where I wasn't seated in an auditorium. It was great to see a mix of the young hipsters & grizzled proggers at a gig.
    I never saw them before last year in NYC. It was great. I saw two people in various US locales (one in Maine, one in upstate NY) later in the year wearing Magma T-shirts from the tour.

I saw a guy at ROSfest wearing a Magma shirt from that tour. I was wearing a Univers Zero shirt & gave him the kindred spirit head nod.
    Ian

Oooh, if there's Canadian dates, maybe I can finally use my passport again!

HAMATAI!!!!!!

neil

Any news about new album?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I saw a guy at ROSfest wearing a Magma shirt from that tour. I was wearing a Univers Zero shirt & gave him the kindred spirit head nod.
    LOL I usually resort to the high-pitched, ululating scream.

Cool. Hope they come closer to Pittsburgh this time. Philly shouldn't be asking too much. Ha.

At least as far South as Virginia please

I'm dreaming to hope for North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    noticed this on the seventhrecords website, and was wondering if anyone had heard anything...

03/16/2016
    USA CANADA TOUR UP TO APRIL 10TH - TBC

thanks!
    Why do I have a bad feeling the NYC show will be April 10th? (Could it be that I just spent +$200 on a David Gilmour at RCMH ticket for that night????)

I saw a guy at a NY Mets baseball game about 2 weeks after their show last spring wearing a Magma shirt. Gave him a big high five as we were both still on a high from their gig at LPR.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    At least as far South as Virginia please

I'm dreaming to hope for North Carolina
    Unlikely.

Maybe DC or Baltimore.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I pray for a better NY venue , "The French Sardine House" was the wrong place for the mighty mAGMA.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

^ ^

The band *specifically* want standing venues!

Their booker specifically told me that, when I spoke to him about possible venues in DC and Baltimore. I told him that, considering most of their fan's ages, that that was cruel and he laughed, but it's the band that wants those sort of venues....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^

Their booker specifically told me that, when I spoke to him about possible venues in DC and Baltimore. I told him that, considering most of their fan's ages, that that was cruel and he laughed, but it's the band that wants those sort of venues....
    Interesting, I wonder why that is. Maybe they feel there's a different kind of energy in the room versus a mostly seated crowd. I remember some of the people in Gong were reportedly annoyed with the sedate response they got at NEARfest, apparently because most of the crowd were seated (I wasn't, when Gong plays, I dance, end of discussion).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^

Standing is one thing, but the stage wasn't elevated enough to see them from twenty feet back.

Also, ear bleeding house volume and dangerously overcrowded.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Does anyone know if Magma are seeking additional dates? My kid goes to elementary school with the son of a big local Central NY State promoter. I could pass along some contact info to him. No idea if he would want to do Magma (he mostly does roots rock/country/indie) but it can't hurt to ask.

They are looking for established venues of about 300-450 capacity and a FIRM guarantee.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Standing is one thing, but the stage wasn't elevated enough to see them from twenty feet back.

Also, ear bleeding house volume and dangerously overcrowded.
    The show in Boston had awful acoustics. for the first 1/2 hour i could see the vibraphone being played, but couldn't hear it at all. There were also some very painful glitches. at one point stella vander literally ripped her earbuds out in pain.

As I mentioned to a number of folk (who all pretty much agreed), i would have gladly paid twice the price to see them at a venue with seats and decent sound.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    The show in Boston had awful acoustics. for the first 1/2 hour i could see the vibraphone being played, but couldn't hear it at all. There were also some very painful glitches. at one point stella vander literally ripped her earbuds out in pain.

As I mentioned to a number of folk (who all pretty much agreed), i would have gladly paid twice the price to see them at a venue with seats and decent sound.
    Those were my experiences at the Boston gig as well, still had a great time and loved it.
    Ian

I'll pass this time unless it's at a seated venue. Had a great time hearing Magma but couldn't really see them.

Quebec City show had good sightlines and sound.