Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd 1965

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Never even heard of Rado Klose!

Love that package; I'm really bummed that it's so unavailable. Ain't gonna pay what it would take on eBay though.

Boy, the words to King Bee are fun - never really listened to them closely.

Were they actually called The Pink Floyd Sound yet at this stage? I thought the six piece configuration of the band was called Sigma Six.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Were they actually called The Pink Floyd Sound yet at this stage? I thought the six piece configuration of the band was called Sigma Six.
    Sigma Six was earlier, as far back as '63. In 1965 they were alternating the names Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd Blues Band, and Tea Set.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm in.
    I'm in too - for the free download...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    on the Pink Floyd website? where???
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    on the Pink Floyd website? where???
    No, sorry - it's widely torrented. Which IMO they were asking for with such a limited vinyl-only release.

With all of our friends in Italy, I think you will see this pop up on The Godfather Records, Sirene Records or Sigma Records with the cover being beautifully reproduced. Or maybe Tachika Records from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    With all of our friends in Italy, I think you will see this pop up on The Godfather Records, Sirene Records or Sigma Records with the cover being beautifully reproduced. Or maybe Tachika Records from Japan.
    LOL - Tachika is apparently as Japanese as my Aunt Fanny!

It's interesting to hear Floyd tackle Slim Harpo's King Bee. I get why it wasn't released. The Stones had done it a year or so before, and a better version, IMHO. I think the Stones were just better at the style than Floyd. Of course, Floyd was a much better band at psych music than the Stones ever dreamed of being. Still, I enjoy hearing an embryonic Floyd tackle such material.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    It's interesting to hear Floyd tackle Slim Harpo's King Bee. I get why it wasn't released. The Stones had done it a year or so before, and a better version, IMHO. I think the Stones were just better at the style than Floyd. Of course, Floyd was a much better band at psych music than the Stones ever dreamed of being. Still, I enjoy hearing an embryonic Floyd tackle such material.

Bill
    Well, the difference there was that there were more or less natural inclinations within the Pink Floyd contingency to move outside the confines of "the pop single". You only have to listen to tracks like Astronomy Domine, Interstellar Overdrive or Saucerful Of Secrets that know these guys were on a different wavelength than what was consider "pop music" at the time.

I think said inclinations toward experimental playing and writing was also the reason why Bob Klose left the band, because he was the one guy who as genuinely into the R&B/blues thing. I think I saw an interview on some documentary about the band where he played a Bo Diddley riff and said that was basically the one thing he could contribute to the music, the but the other four were obviously moving off in a different direction, and he knew he wouldn't fit in. I think in the Nicholas Schaeffner book he's described as "incorrigibly square" in comparison to Syd's outside tendencies as a guitarist.

By contrast, The Rolling Stones sound as if they went psychedelic as a means of keeping up with trends or not being ruled "irrelevant" or "outdated" or whatever. As has been said in other threads with this matter came up, the creative element within that band I don't think were really into psychedelia and were really quite happy to return to what they did best with Jumping Jack Flash. I think the one person in The Stones who had any affinity to psychedelia or any other "far out, man" kind of musics was Brian Jones, and by 1967, Mick and Keith had long since hijacked the band away from him (in the same way that Pete Townshend hijacked The Who away from Roger Daltrey).

And it also didn't help that they were trying to produce themselves and they apparently spent more time partying during the Satanic Majesties period than they did actually trying to make a record.

Good points! However, Floyd wasn't opposed to the hit single either. Barrett was a writer with some tremendous gifts before he pissed them away. See Emily Play was a hit single in Britain, at least so they were capable of the hit song. As for the Stones, Brian was as happy as Keith that they were moving back to a more rock/blues sound after Satanic Majesties. Jones was thrilled with JJF. I think that whole period for the Stones was driven by Jagger. He's always been a trend spotter and will attempt to take a new trend and try to graft it onto the Stones framework. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. Not that Satanic Majesties doesn't have a good song or two, but it's just not what the Stones do best. Mick and Keith hijacked the band because Brian wasn't a songwriter.

But as to Floyd's '65 recordings, on Barrett's tunes you can hear where they are going. The whole approach to his tunes are much different than I'm a King Bee but you can't fault Floyd for giving that sound a try then. That was the cool thing to be playing then, partly because of the Stones' success.

Bill

Mick and Keith hijacked the band because Brian wasn't a songwriter.
    Welll, yeah, that's what I meant. Same thing with The Who, which was originally Daltrey's band, but because Townshend was the guy doing the majority of the songwriting, it more or less became Townshend's band. I think that was one of the reasons why, for so many years, there was so much animosity between the two, to the point that fisticuffs would literally break out between them (such as the infamous story of Roger knocking Pete flat on his ass during the Quadrophenia rehearsals).

Yeah, The 'Orrible 'Oo, as I heard them referred too because of all of the infighting. This almost led to Moon and Entwistle leaving and forming a group with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in 1968. Apparently, there were also several back stage altercations after shows as well. Funny, though, I was thinking to day while re-listening to the Floyd that these 1965 recordings remind, at times, of early Who.

Bill

Yeah, The 'Orrible 'Oo, as I heard them referred too because of all of the infighting. This almost led to Moon and Entwistle leaving and forming a group with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in 1968. Apparently, there were also several back stage altercations after shows as well.
    Entwistle was asked in an interview back in the 80's if he ever considered quitting the band and going solo full time, and his response was something to the effect of, "I considered quitting every other week!". There's lots of tales of fisticuffs backstage. It was often said the last place on Earth you wanted to be was The Who dressing room immediately after a gig, because they'd usually be arguing (and sometimes fighting) over who frelled up the most over the course of the evening's performance.

It's been a long time since I read it, but I read one biography on the band back in the 80's that suggested there were various combinations of people quitting or being fired from the band, then coming back a week later. Like Daltrey would get pissed, quit, then come back a few days later, because of course nobody could sing like him and he'd probably realized he'd have to go back to working in a factory without Pete, Moony, and Thunderfingers.

And yeah, Moon, Entwistle, Beck, and Page talked about forming a band, which led to the Beck's Bolero session (though it's John Paul Jones playing bass on the track, I guess because Entwistle had to drop out of the session at the last minute). I guess the band never went beyond that, for managerial/contractual reasons, but I have the impression that would have been your "New Yardbirds", ie there wouldn't have been the band we know as Led Zeppelin if those four had kept going as a unit.

I have never heard a scrap of Relics, though I remember as a very young kid (10 maybe) seeing the Relics album cover and thinking it was the coolest album cover ever! I havent run accross it in my searches for older PF. I need a physical copy - if only for the cover. I have seen it with a different cover that was obviously a step down from the original ( masks with 4 eyes that give the cover a creepy kind of head nodding feature) definitely one of the coolest covers I have ever seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I have never heard a scrap of Relics, though I remember as a very young kid (10 maybe) seeing the Relics album cover and thinking it was the coolest album cover ever! I havent run accross it in my searches for older PF. I need a physical copy - if only for the cover. I have seen it with a different cover that was obviously a step down from the original ( masks with 4 eyes that give the cover a creepy kind of head nodding feature) definitely one of the coolest covers I have ever seen before.
    Relics was one of my first albums, probably because it was cheap - £1.99 from Woolco (Woolworths). Of course, it was nothing like DSOTM/WYWH, which was my only other experience of Floyd at the time. Still got it, somewhere...

It was my first Floyd album for the same reason! The original cover was drawn by Nick Mason I recall. Not sure I still have the vinyl, I seen to have misplaced most of my Floyd vinyl. I would like to get a copy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not too interested in this juvenilia but if this means that further material will appear down the line, it's a good precedent. I recall bits of these songs turning up in that BBC documentary on Syd Barrett around 15 years ago. 'I'm A King Bee' and 'Lucy Leave' certainly did. As for the former, The 'Stones were a big influence on many bands back in those days- in Genesis, it was the Rutherford/Phillips axis early on who were the 'Stones fans.

Relics....it's OK for what it is, but a bit scattershot. I think it's a shame that it didn't round up all the other non-album tracks (from memory, 'Candy And A Current Bun', 'Apples And Oranges', 'It Would Be So Nice', 'Point Me At The Sky', 'Embryo'). It's still the only place you can easily get some of its tracks.

Relics has 2 covers
    1. the 'line drawing' of a massive 'music making machine' (this is the cover drawn by Mason)
    2. the clay head of some indigenous native with 2 sets of eyes
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Aside from Relics, there were a whole raft of UK budget albums that we built our early collections round in the mid '70's. I recall Camembert Electrique, The Faust Tapes, Pictures At An Exhibition, 24 Carat Purple, a Focus collection in a vivid yellow sleeve., a VDGG collection too Then there were the budget label samplers like the Virgin V one (I've still got that), a couple of Age of Atlantics, Track Records put out a few too.

Quality was a secondary consideration to getting a collection started, but most of these were worth the exploration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Relics and think it could be expanded as described above.

I could only imagine The Who without Daltry. I might have even liked them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Relics has 2 covers
    1. the 'line drawing' of a massive 'music making machine' (this is the cover drawn by Mason)
    2. the clay head of some indigenous native with 2 sets of eyes
    Plus at least two other covers for CD releases: the Strom Thorgerson sculpture version of the Nick Mason design, and another with a photograph of old coins.

Sadly, I have all 4 versions of "Relics", 3 on vinyl. My reasoning is that they don't all have the same songs. "Candy & a current bun" is on one, "Apples & Oranges" on another, etc.

PS: I'm better now...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like