Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matthew Parmenter - "All Our Yesterdays" third solo album released early 2016

Here's the title track, released (unbeknownst to me) this past Christmas on a sampler album:

http://music.badelephant.co.uk/track/all-our-yesterdays
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I just noted that pre-order information for US residents is now on-line at http://usa.badelephant.co.uk/album/all-our-yesterdays

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was listening to this album this morning, and it sounds great (only got through the first 4 tracks as I have a short commute). The song I Am A Shadow is great!

I would love to see a BD or DVD of a full Matthew Parmenter show. All we have, I think is the few tracks from the NEARfest DVD. I really hope Matthew can get something released if he's doing any live shows now. Visually, his performances are interesting, so even though he performs solo a DVD or BD would be worthwhile, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd love to hear a collaboration between him and SW.
    Replace 'SW' with someone like Kavus or Daniel O'Sullivan or Bob Drake or James Sedwards and I'm in.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So this is officially available now?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

So this is officially available now?
    As I allready own it I would say yes it is....

Sometimes people get advanced copies. I'm a digital download guy so we're usually the last ones invited to the party.

Sometimes people get advanced copies. I'm a digital download guy so we're usually the last ones invited to the party.
    Just bought in an online shop. I'm not getting to much advance copies (actually one in my whole life...)

US and Canada residents can listen to the whole thing and buy it here:

http://usa.badelephant.co.uk/album/all-our-yesterdays

Got mine from Lasers Edge almost two weeks ago!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

So I bought this off Bandcamp and...meh... Parmenter's solo career is one of diminished returns for me. Astray was a really strong album. Horror Express was good but did not get as many spins at my house. This one isn't really doing it for me. We need more Discipline material!

It has a few very strong tracks but also a couple rather odd ones, for him, so I agree, mixed bag. Plus all relatively short songs (under 6 min). Hopefully he's saving some fantastic new epics for Discipline.

I'm really enjoying the album - it's a bit of a grower. Man, could All Our Yesterdays sound more like Peter Hamill? And I like the Shakespeare lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Man, could All Our Yesterdays sound more like Peter Hamill?
    I have to say that although I can appreciate his vast legacy from Hammill (whose husic I hold sincerely dear), I had really hoped for Parmenter to move into somewhat more idiosyncratic and "self-personal" terrain by now.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I have to say that although I can appreciate his vast legacy from Hammill (whose husic I hold sincerely dear), I had really hoped for Parmenter to move into somewhat more idiosyncratic and "self-personal" terrain by now.
    I'm still getting familiar with this album, but the song I Am a Shadow seems pretty Matthew Parmenter to me, and very good. Overall though, I don't disagree with you. Maybe it's because he doesn't write and record often enough?

So I bought this off Bandcamp and...meh... Parmenter's solo career is one of diminished returns for me. Astray was a really strong album. Horror Express was good but did not get as many spins at my house. This one isn't really doing it for me. We need more Discipline material!
    I fully agree. This album starts reasonably strong for the first few songs and then it becomes rather uninspiring. It still Ok buy, but to me, it is not up to expectations I have had from MP

I haven't listened to it enough yet, but I'd agree with several others that it strikes me as a mixed bag. Some of the music is strong, but other songs haven't grabbed me yet. One problem (entirely unavoidable) is that his CD was released right around the time of Keith Emerson's death. I (and perhaps others) were distracted by that. I definitely need to return to the new album.

I noticed a link on Matthew's Facebook page to an interview in the British Prog magazine. He stated that recording of the new Discipline album was well advanced, but suggested an end of the year release. Perhaps the interview was done last autumn, in which case the album is now overdue!

All For Nothing is a magnificent song. Few other songs are very good too but there is couple disappointing ones too.

I really like "Digital" and love the toe-tapping "Stuff in the bag".

Quote Originally Posted by Joey JoJo View Post
    I really like "Digital" and love the toe-tapping "Stuff in the bag".
    Yeah, I just had another listen to Stuff in the Bag and that's a fun song for MP - a bit of a barrelhouse sound to it I think. The song after that sounded pretty good too - I forget the title, but it's got some pretty wailing guitar for an MP solo album. So it's overall quite a good album IMO, however I'm not really familiar with his two previous solo albums so I can't compare it to them. Some of the songs don't have great sound quality, that's really my only criticism. Some (like the excellent I Am A Shadow) sound quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, I just had another listen to Stuff in the Bag and that's a fun song for MP - a bit of a barrelhouse sound to it I think. The song after that sounded pretty good too - I forget the title, but it's got some pretty wailing guitar for an MP solo album. So it's overall quite a good album IMO, however I'm not really familiar with his two previous solo albums so I can't compare it to them. Some of the songs don't have great sound quality, that's really my only criticism. Some (like the excellent I Am A Shadow) sound quite good.
    Also a fan of “Stuff In The Bag”. Although it is not what he is known for, Matthew is really good at writing upbeat little ditties like this. Kind of has a similar vibe to older songs like “Faces Of The Petty” or “Mickey Mouse Man” to my ears.

Didn't listen to this third solo album yet but I think I purchased it when it was released. But anyway, on with the point of this post:

I know the first two solo albums well, which are really great (despite not being upbeat music much), and so when I heard this song below today by someone else (presumably her original song, didn't check yet) it reminded me of his solo material, especially the second album. Didn't pay attention to figuring out the lyrics she's singing but otherwise I see resemblance in the vocalist/pianist stylings.

a song sung by Commander In Chief the musician
    https://youtu.be/pnCY3UY039A?feature=shared