Thread: Steeleye Span - Parcel vs Original Albums Series

Steeleye Span - Parcel vs Original Albums Series

Hi all!

I'm interested in discovering this band. Which of these boxed sets do you recommend? Looks like Parcel of Steeleye Span has bonus cuts, but no artwork? The Original Albums Series has the albums individually packaged which I like, but can you comment on the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hi all!

I'm interested in discovering this band. Which of these boxed sets do you recommend? Looks like Parcel of Steeleye Span has bonus cuts, but no artwork? The Original Albums Series has the albums individually packaged which I like, but can you comment on the sound?
    Neither is great in terms of artwork, and they both use the same mastering (apparently quite good). Only real difference is that Parcel has two bonus tracks-- Gaudete (single version, same as album but with no fade-in/out) and its flip, The Holly & the Ivy. Also, Parcel puts all the music on three Cd's which the other set has each individual album on a disc.

Since they're both a great bargain, you can't really go wrong-- I'd vote for Parcel for the sake of the bonus cuts (though neither is essential).

The only flaw is that neither box has the re-recorded, Ian Anderson produced version of "Thomas the Rhymer," which was the only one released in the US.

Parcel comes in a sturdy fat boy jewel case, which I much prefer to the cheapo original album series packaging. And you get a booklet with some photos and text you can actually read.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Parcel comes in a sturdy fat boy jewel case, which I much prefer to the cheapo original album series packaging. And you get a booklet with some photos and text you can actually read.
    The sound quality of Parcel is really decent- to my cloth ears, at least!

If you enjoy it, check out Another Parcel. Almost identical packaging but featuring the albums Rocket Cottage, Storm Force Ten, Live At Last, Sails of Silver & Temped & Tried, rounding off their time with Chrysalis. Not the most popular Steeleye albums but I like 'em all!

Recently got back into vinyl and picked up a bunch of old Steeleye albums.

Was surprised to find by far my favorite was their first 'Hark the village wait', which features two sublime vocalists, Maddy Prior and Gay Woods, sadly Gay isn't on any other STeeleye recordings, the duets here between she and Maddy are magic.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post

Was surprised to find by far my favorite was their first 'Hark the village wait', which features two sublime vocalists, Maddy Prior and Gay Woods, sadly Gay isn't on any other STeeleye recordings, .
    Yes she is! She rejoined in the '90s and sang with Maddy on the "Time" album, then took over entirely for Maddy on "Horkstow Grange" and "Bedlam Born"-- both very good albums despite Maddy's absence. A very overlooked period for Steeleye.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Yes she is! She rejoined in the '90s and sang with Maddy on the "Time" album, then took over entirely for Maddy on "Horkstow Grange" and "Bedlam Born"-- both very good albums despite Maddy's absence. A very overlooked period for Steeleye.
    Have to agree with this. These are great albums. If you like the band, you need to hear them.

Incidentally, Horkstow Grange is the traditional folk song that gave Steeleye Span their name!

Bonney Morhen was only on the Original Masters LP I believe. It's on the Parcel discs also. Is it enclosed on the original master series discs as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^The Rhino 'Original Album Series' sets do not tend to include bonus tracks as a rule. So probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post

Was surprised to find by far my favorite was their first 'Hark the village wait', which features two sublime vocalists, Maddy Prior and Gay Woods, sadly Gay isn't on any other STeeleye recordings, the duets here between she and Maddy are magic.
    This pre-Chrysalis era of the band was gathered on another multi-album set by Sanctuary, the 2-disc (low-priced) 'The Lark In The Morning'.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Bonney Morhen was only on the Original Masters LP I believe. It's on the Parcel discs also. Is it enclosed on the original master series discs as well?
    Come to think of it, there's another missing track: the live "Wife of Usher's Well" that was on the UK Original Masters (and frustratingly, not on the US one). Not on either of these collections.

Come to think of it, there's another missing track: the live "Wife of Usher's Well" that was on the UK Original Masters (and frustratingly, not on the US one). Not on either of these collections.
    Different from the album track on All Around My Hat, which is included in these boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Different from the album track on All Around My Hat, which is included in these boxes?
    Yes, it's a live version that was exclusive to the UK Original Masters.

Ah, thanks, I missed the word "live."

Yes, it's a live version that was exclusive to the UK Original Masters.
    There's a live version on the Parcel release - not sure if it's the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    There's a live version on the Parcel release - not sure if it's the same one.
    I have assumed it was the same, but it's been many years since I played Original Masters so couldn't swear to it.

While on the topic, it would be a pity not to extend your purchase to Another Parcel. No Steeleye collection should be without the excellent Rocket Cottage ("Fighting for Strangers" and "Sir James the Rose" are stunning), Live at Last and the very lovely Sails of Silver (poppier, but "Harvets Home" is sublime.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I have assumed it was the same, but it's been many years since I played Original Masters so couldn't swear to it.

While on the topic, it would be a pity not to extend your purchase to Another Parcel. No Steeleye collection should be without the excellent Rocket Cottage ("Fighting for Strangers" and "Sir James the Rose" are stunning), Live at Last and the very lovely Sails of Silver (poppier, but "Harvets Home" is sublime.
    And Storm Force Ten, which is love-or-hate but it's my favorite. Different lineup, different sound, but dramatic and beautiful, especially two Brecht/Weill songs which may be Maddy's best singing ever.

n terms of recent stuff, have to plug their last album (though its now two years old) Wintersmith-- A collaboration with Terry Pratchett and a concept album, bringing back some of their "heavier" 70's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    If you enjoy it, check out Another Parcel. Almost identical packaging but featuring the albums Rocket Cottage, Storm Force Ten, Live At Last, Sails of Silver & Temped & Tried, rounding off their time with Chrysalis. Not the most popular Steeleye albums but I like 'em all!
    Me too!!