Thread: Guitarist looking for long term collaborators

Guitarist looking for long term collaborators

Hi, I have been playing guitar for 35 years and was always a big Rush, Marillion fan, with some Yes, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater and Anathema (not the last 2 albums).
    I have written a concept album and have a lot of it in demo form but it needs real musicians to come alive.

I had a keyboard player in mind but he let me down and I know a very, very good drummer who I have helped out in the past.

I am looking for a keyboard player and bass player to get involved and make the demos real as I am looking to release the record commercially.
    I am looking at this very seriously as the start of long term projects (Porcupine Tree type of thing springs to mind)

I don't have any lyrics yet, this is more of a theme of music with some narration, so no singer required. The original War of The Worlds is a big influence on me.

If any of you guys are interested in getting involved send me a message or reply here on the thread. Ideally you would be able to record your parts at home and we use the interweb for file transfer. It would be a collaboration and you would be a member of the "band". I'm not looking to rip anybody off....

The aim is to make music that stands shoulder to shoulder with the very best bands out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Hi, I have been playing guitar for 35 years and was always a big Rush, Marillion fan, with some Yes, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater and Anathema (not the last 2 albums).
    I have written a concept album and have a lot of it in demo form but it needs real musicians to come alive.

I had a keyboard player in mind but he let me down and I know a very, very good drummer who I have helped out in the past.

I am looking for a keyboard player and bass player to get involved and make the demos real as I am looking to release the record commercially.
    I am looking at this very seriously as the start of long term projects (Porcupine Tree type of thing springs to mind)

I don't have any lyrics yet, this is more of a theme of music with some narration, so no singer required. The original War of The Worlds is a big influence on me.

If any of you guys are interested in getting involved send me a message or reply here on the thread. Ideally you would be able to record your parts at home and we use the interweb for file transfer. It would be a collaboration and you would be a member of the "band". I'm not looking to rip anybody off....

The aim is to make music that stands shoulder to shoulder with the very best bands out there.
    Would be happy to add parts if you find my odd style of keyboards and piano interesting....
    Lots to listen to here at archives... https://archive.org/search.php?query...2Baku+Llama%22 Please start with the tunes ERIS, Side two, and HAMATSA for the style that a "war of the worlds" or pink floyd fan MIGHT like. I have collaborated online before using mostly wav. Files. These songs are keyboard heavy and I don't mind if you would prefer to keep the keys a little sparser in your project. If you are after background synth-symph I can do that too. If its not your cuppa tee don't be worried about saying so... Thanks....

Rick Whitehurst
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 12-02-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    Still alive and well...

I might be into this. Can I hear something you have done so I can see if we mesh very well? I do everything, with the exception of lead guitars, my strongest skills probably being voice. I have has buddies sometimes jump in and put leads down, occasionally with good results.

You can check out some of my work at http://indiemusicworks.com/Jaug/ (hope the link works) I recently uploaded a scratch version of a song I've been working on for a few years - its 25 minutes long, temporarily named "evermore" but theres some other stuff there - I dont consider myself too much of a slouch, but the chemistry needs to work - I did an album that got picked up by Progrock back in 2008, but I havent put anything out recently, because I like recording and not dealing with labels, releases, reviews etc...

My voice has been described as Geddy Lee Morphs into Geoff Tate. I Dont know if I deserve that, but I can do a fair job with drums, bass, rythm guits - some MIDI corrected keys - I'm good with MIDI.

If you play similar to Alex Lifeson, we should probably talk. My stuff is a bit like Rush, but the leads dont always fit. - Give me a link so I can hear what you are all about.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 12-02-2015 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I might be into this. Can I hear something you have done so I can see if we mesh very well? I do everything, with the exception of lead guitars, my strongest skills probably being voice. I have has buddies sometimes jump in and put leads down, occasionally with good results.

You can check out some of my work at http://indiemusicworks.com/Jaug/ (hope the link works) I recently uploaded a scratch version of a song I've been working on for a few years - its 25 minutes long, temporarily named "evermore" but theres some other stuff there - I dont consider myself too much of a slouch, but the chemistry needs to work - I did an album that got picked up by Progrock back in 2008, but I havent put anything out recently, because I like recording and not dealing with labels, releases, reviews etc...

My voice has been described as Geddy Lee Morphs into Geoff Tate. I Dont know if I deserve that, but I can do a fair job with drums, bass, rythm guits - some MIDI corrected keys - I'm good with MIDI.

If you play similar to Alex Lifeson, we should probably talk. My stuff is a bit like Rush, but the leads dont always fit. - Give me a link so I can hear what you are all about.
    Hi Yodelgoat, wow, where to start? First up I listened to the first 6 songs on the link you put up, you are not Geddy Lee or Geoff Tate, you are you and you are very, very good.
    I really like Evermore, and Vanity is a completely different vibe with the african drums. You have real talent and great songs.

About me: Yes I can play like Alex Lifeson but I'm not him, guitar solos are my thing and are what I do best - within the context of a song. I'm a very melodic player, Steve Rothary and David Gilmour mixed with a bit of Ritchie Blackmore madness.

I have pulled all my stuff in the last few years and consider this a new start, constantly looking to improve and if the material will not compete in quality with big label output I kill it and start over. So right now I have started with nothing and am in the early stages of the new project. I will send you a link to the songs I'm working on now in the next few days, right now I have a gig coming up with a local band (I replaced the lead guitarist just for this one gig) so I have 25 songs to learn in 9 days

Cheers,
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Would be happy to add parts if you find my odd style of keyboards and piano interesting....
    Lots to listen to here at archives... https://archive.org/search.php?query...2Baku+Llama%22 Please start with the tunes ERIS, Side two, and HAMATSA for the style that a "war of the worlds" or pink floyd fan MIGHT like. I have collaborated online before using mostly wav. Files. These songs are keyboard heavy and I don't mind if you would prefer to keep the keys a little sparser in your project. If you are after background synth-symph I can do that too. If its not your cuppa tee don't be worried about saying so... Thanks....

Rick Whitehurst

Hi Rick,

I had a listen to the songs you mention and they are a bit of a mixed bag stylistically, really progressive with Jazz leanings to my ear. I liked some of the textures that are there but the overall sound isn't what I'm looking for. What is for sure is that you have talent and a very good level on the piano/keys, so I'm going to send you a link in a few days and you can hear what I am thinking of. I am sure you can add something to the project, that goes without saying, and of course you can be brutally honest with me.

Cheers,
    Nigel

Hi Yodelgoat, wow, where to start?
    About me: Yes I can play like Alex Lifeson but I'm not him, guitar solos are my thing and are what I do best - within the context of a song. I'm a very melodic player, Steve Rothary and David Gilmour mixed with a bit of Ritchie Blackmore madness.

Nigel
    Just a little peek at what you've done would be nice...

Hi Rick,

I had a listen to the songs you mention and they are a bit of a mixed bag stylistically, really progressive with Jazz leanings to my ear. I liked some of the textures that are there but the overall sound isn't what I'm looking for. What is for sure is that you have talent and a very good level on the piano/keys, so I'm going to send you a link in a few days and you can hear what I am thinking of. I am sure you can add something to the project, that goes without saying, and of course you can be brutally honest with me.

Cheers,
    Nigel
    Sure Nigel... Send a link to an unfinished project with room for keys, or a wav.file, or anything you might have.. No worries if you don't feel comfortable with my additions. For me its for fun mainly. A chance to explore and bounce ideas around a bit, nothing more. But if something were to click, then we go from there.
    Whitehur@msn.com
    Still alive and well...

I have written a concept album and have a lot of it in demo form but it needs real musicians to come alive..
    I wish I played an instrument other than guitar; but if you want some additional guitar parts (electric, acoustic, 12-string, classical) let me know.

Steve

If you're still looking, I am a bass player & play keyboards as well. I am into what you describe for sure. It would definitely be nice to hear a sample or two of some of your dabblings. Her is a link to an older project of mine. Unfortunately my musical partner & I have gone our separate ways after 30 years of playing off & on. The samples on that page were all written by me... scroll down the page for music! Thanks!
    https://www.facebook.com/Gingham-Dog-190637527654950/

JD

Oh, also an FYI... I just added a M4000D to my keyboard arsenal & am building a dual manual rig with my Hammonds. Going totally retro in that area

You can check out some of my work at http://indiemusicworks.com/Jaug/ (hope the link works) I recently uploaded a scratch version of a song I've been working on for a few years - its 25 minutes long, temporarily named "evermore" but theres some other stuff there.
    Nice music and a really good voice!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Hey hfxx thanks for the encouraging words about my voice. Its probably my best - if only good musical attribute. I still love playing the instruments (Drums, Guits bass..) but I am master of none. Songwriting is by far my favorite thing to do. Just not good enough to do it alone. I think I could be a decent contributor to a collaborative effort - and even as a decent songwriter which is why I responded, but lets face it. Texas and Prog do not necessarily peacefully co-exist. There isnt much interest in Prog music in my area.

On a side note - for years I have wanted to put together a Rush tribute band with its own originals. I would think that would work out nicely and because I'm centrally located in the US perhaps if it worked out we could play some live gigs as well. I can do Geddy far better than Geddy sings Geddy these days (I'd be able to program the Keys using MIDI). - I'm not a bad bass player either, but I havent kept up my chops to be able to cover most of what Geddy plays these days. I'd have to stop with Power windows, and even then, some of it is a little outside my comfort zone. Tom Sawyer, Camera eye, Spirit... no biggies. YYZ? um. I'll get back with ya on that.

Nigelr - why not post some of your work so some of us who have expressed interest can hear you're stuff as well. I'm sincerely hoping you didnt earn your chops in Blue Vino, but who knows...

Texas and Prog do not necessarily peacefully co-exist. There isnt much interest in Prog music in my area.
    Here either. I think I'm the only real progger in all of OK except for some of the prog metal types. Sucks!

I guess the Collab options are kind of dead...

... but lets face it. Texas and Prog do not necessarily peacefully co-exist. There isnt much interest in Prog music in my area.
    Of course there is! Why, I know of five people here in Austin that love Prog! Five whole people!
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.