Thread: Interesting Article On Overseas Bands Trying To Tour The U.S.

Interesting Article On Overseas Bands Trying To Tour The U.S.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...ional-touring/

Someone posted this on Facebook this morning. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

Interesting is an understatement. Any would-be President should take reforming this mess on as a way to curry votes. If they learn to rattle off names of bands and festivals being impacted, they'd be surprised at some of the voters they'd attract.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "I'd build a wall and deport all immigrants, but make it easier for foreign prog bands to tour the U.S."

Wouldn't this be better aspart of the other thread in the main dicussion forum?

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Interesting is an understatement. Any would-be President should take reforming this mess on as a way to curry votes. If they learn to rattle off names of bands and festivals being impacted, they'd be surprised at some of the voters they'd attract.
    Why?? most of these visting bands don't vote in the US.
    And I doubt that you being able to see XYZ from Malawi or CBA from Norway in your hometown will change your voting habits

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "I'd build a wall and deport all immigrants, but make it easier for foreign prog bands to tour the U.S."
    I take it you're voting Trump next year

JKL, of course (just kidding lots)
    Last edited by Trane; 12-06-2015 at 04:58 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Having had my own hassles with visas to enter the U.S., I can sympathise. (You do not want to know the details; they would bore you shitless.)

There are probably many barriers to foreign bands trying to tour Australia, but I never seem to hear of visa issues as being one of them. It's usually just about the cost of getting themselves and the equipment here, and the cost of travelling around once they are here.

There also seems to be an endless procession of Australian artists heading to the U.S. to crack into the big market, even before they really become big names at home. Sometimes they return home disillusioned, but the stories of disillusionment mostly centre on not getting good enough reviews or not selling enough tickets rather than visa issues. I'm not sure why that would be, orindeed whether my impression is correct. Perhaps when Australians travel abroad they go with the expectation that it's a long-term commitment, and plan accordingly. I can't imagine that the process of obtaining a U.S. visa would be any easier or quicker for an Australian act than for a European one.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Having had my own hassles with visas to enter the U.S., I can sympathise. (You do not want to know the details; they would bore you shitless.)

There are probably many barriers to foreign bands trying to tour Australia, but I never seem to hear of visa issues as being one of them. It's usually just about the cost of getting themselves and the equipment here, and the cost of travelling around once they are here.
    we're getting dangerously close to a political subjet, much frown upon on this site, but outside the adinistrative hassles and the costs linked to it, I'm also frankly opposed to getting my fingerprints and ADN stocked by the US, just so I can enter the country, even if I'd want to be an artiste and carry my message in North Am.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    ^^ Well, whether people want to turn it into a political subject or not is up to them. Notice that I was attempting to steer well clear of political argument.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Well, whether people want to turn it into a political subject or not is up to them. Notice that I was attempting to steer well clear of political argument.

I was not particularly aiming at you, since my own answer was not sterering clear from it either.

Note to self: While I'm glad you're so passionate about bands being able to play in this country, you sound like an idiot! What sleep-deprived fantasy land did THIS thinking come from?

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post