Thread: Allman Bros Idlewild South to be released in 5.1 12/4

Allman Bros Idlewild South to be released in 5.1 12/4

Universal Music Enterprises will release three separate, remastered editions of Idlewild South on Mercury Records, a single-CD version; a two-CD Deluxe Edition, which adds 12 tracks a combination of outtakes, live and studio cuts, and a three-CD and Blu-Ray Super Deluxe iteration with 14 added tracks which also includes the entire album (plus four additional outtakes, alternate takes or mixes) in Blu-Ray Pure Audio in 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround & Stereo.
    The additional tracks include session outtakes of "Statesboro Blues" and "One More Ride," an alternate take of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," an alternative mix of "Midnight Rider" and a mono single version of "Revival (Love Is Everywhere)." There are also nine tracks from the 1970 Live at Ludlow Garage album, remastered for the first time since 1990, including the previously unreleased song "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" now making this concert recording complete for the first time.
    Idlewild South has since gone on to become one of the Allman Brothers Band's most iconic releases. Rolling Stone named it one of the "40 Most Groundbreaking Albums of All Time" in 2014: "The Allman Brothers transmogrified from mere blues-rockers to an assemblage creating an entirely new kind of Southern music." Allmusic's Bruce Eder called it "the best studio album in the group's history, electric blues with an acoustic texture, virtuoso lead, slide and organ playing, and a killer selection of songs."
    Track listing for the three separate editions:
    Remastered CD:
    1. Revival
    2. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
    3. Midnight Rider
    4. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
    5. Hoochie Coochie Man
    6. Please Call Home
    7. Leave My Blues at Home
    Deluxe Edition:
    Disc One:
    1. Revival
    3. Midnight Rider
    5. Hoochie Coochie Man
    6. Please Call Home
    Additional Material:
    8. Statesboro Blues (Session Outtake) Previously Unreleased New Mix
    9. One More Ride (Session Outtake) Previously Unreleased New Mix
    10. Midnight Rider (Alternate Mix) Previously Unreleased
    11. Dreams (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    12. Statesboro Blues (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    13. Trouble No More (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    14. Dimples (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    15. Every Hungry Woman (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    Disc Two:
    1. I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    2. Hoochie Coochie Man (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    3. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970) Previously Unreleased
    4. Mountain Jam (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    Super Deluxe Edition:
    Disc One:
    1. Revival
    3. Midnight Rider
    5. Hoochie Coochie Man
    6. Please Call Home
    Additional Material:
    8. Statesboro Blues (Session Outtake) Previously Unreleased New Mix
    9. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (Alternate Take) Previously Unreleased
    10. One More Ride (Session Outtake) Previously Unreleased New Mix
    11. Midnight Rider (Alternate Mix) Previously Unreleased
    12. Revival (Love Is Everywhere) (Mono Single Version)
    Disc Two:
    1. Dreams (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    2. Statesboro Blues (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    3. Trouble No More (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    4. Dimples (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    5. Every Hungry Woman (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    6. I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    7. Hoochie Coochie Man (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    Disc Three:
    1. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970) Previously Unreleased
    2. Mountain Jam (Live at Ludlow Garage 1970)
    Blu-Ray Pure Audio, 5.1 (96kHz 24-bit Surround & Stereo)
    1. Revival
    3. Midnight Rider
    4. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
    5. Hoochie Coochie Man
    6. Please Call Home
    7. Leave My Blues At Home
    8. Statesboro Blues (Session Outtake)
    9. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (Alternate Take)
    10. One More Ride (Session Outtake)
    11. Midnight Rider (Alternate Mix)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300176615.html
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

My favourite of their studio albums. I'm in.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

My favorite of their studio albums too.
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

I'm in for the blu-ray!

Great album.

I picked up the 2 disc version because I never had the Ludlow Garage recording. The alternate version of Midnight Rider is very interesting.

This was the first ABB album I listened to, at about the same time I started playing bass. Berry is still a huge influence on me. I am still playing in an Allman Bros. tribute band.
    I already have Ludlow Garage. I'm always glad to see more ABB releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    My favourite of their studio albums.
    Think I prefer the debut just a tiny tad over this, although IS contains my fave two ABB tunes, "Elizabeth Reed" and "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

While on the subject I listened to Brothers and Sisters yesterday for the first time in ages. A very solid piece of work, although in terms of post Duane material (i.e. most of it!) I think my favourite studio albums is Seven Turns. That's a great album IMO.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    This was the first ABB album I listened to, at about the same time I started playing bass. Berry is still a huge influence on me. I am still playing in an Allman Bros. tribute band.
    I already have Ludlow Garage. I'm always glad to see more ABB releases.
    That is cool that you are playing in an ABB tribute band. There is one here in the Pa area called "Live At The Fillmore". They are quite good. I have seen them.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My favourite post Duane album is Hittin` the Note.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    That is cool that you are playing in an ABB tribute band. There is one here in the Pa area called "Live At The Fillmore". They are quite good. I have seen them.
    I am familiar with them, among others. Great to see these bands keeping the spirit alive. We just recently got a 20 year old guitarist, who is still working on the repertoire.
    This is us at our last gig. We were called The Allman Step Brothers. One of the ABB lawyers in LA said "Allman" is trademarked and we had to change the name. We are now Idlewild West. There is an Idlewild South as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-XgoXqBZM

I picked the 2cd version up around Xmas...while shopping for presents for my Mom!
    I have since gotten a full blown Allman Bros Band addiction!
    I picked up the two cd Brothers & Sisters and almost all the studio albums(Already had a bunch) except Reach for the Sky & Brothers Of The Road. As much as I like Doobie Brothers, I don't like when Allman Brothers sound like them!
    I've picked up or ordered a lot of live stuff in the last couple days...because you can never have too much live ABB...?

I'm most excited for the 40th anniversary DVD because they play the first two albums all the way through. I watched part of it on youtube, and am wondering why people are so down on the video and sound, because they both seem really good to me...and that was on youtube! Maybe the dvd will change my mind, but I don't see how the best two studio albums being played back to back would be bad in any way!
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Speaking of post Duane albums, Brothers and Sisters is an excellent album. We play Come and Go Blues, Jelly Jelly, Jessica and Southbound.
    I like all the Arista albums with Dangerous Dan Toler and David Goldflies on the Alembic bass.
    I love Shades of Two Worlds from the early 90s as well.

It saddens me to say that I hear Gregg's voice deteriorating rapidly over the last 6 or 7 years. His voice was one of my favorite rock voices of all time. I'll hand it to him that he goes out there and gives it all he has still at his age though.

I think Seven Turns, Shades of Two Worlds and Where it All Began are great albums. Hittin' the Note is also a great album but I've come to miss Dickey's influence on it. It's more just bluesy like a Gov't Mule album. The Allman brothers always had such a great combination of blues, country, rock and jazz permeating their music and it's missing on Hittin the Note albeit it being a great album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the Warren/Derek version the ABB, but you're right about the loss of Dickey's influence. Besides his country and jazz influences, he could cool things down and strip it back to the melody, whereas Derek and Warren always tended to go full-bore all the time. I found it a bit wearing by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I enjoyed the Warren/Derek version the ABB, but you're right about the loss of Dickey's influence. Besides his country and jazz influences, he could cool things down and strip it back to the melody, whereas Derek and Warren always tended to go full-bore all the time. I found it a bit wearing by comparison.
    I was listening to Whipping Post, Filmore East, a few days ago, and after all these years, there is no comparison to Duane's emotion grabbing leads here. Duane studied the original blues guitar players and didn't get the Blues by assimilation from country and bluegrass like other southern rock artists. Combine that with the symphonic like slide from Dickey, and Whipping Post captures the that being whipped feeling. Warren is good, but Duane was and is the real shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I was listening to Whipping Post, Filmore East, a few days ago, and after all these years, there is no comparison to Duane's emotion grabbing leads here. Duane studied the original blues guitar players and didn't get the Blues by assimilation from country and bluegrass like other southern rock artists. Combine that with the symphonic like slide from Dickey, and Whipping Post captures the that being whipped feeling. Warren is good, but Duane was and is the real shit.
    Whipping Post morphed over the years with the different guitarists involved. The original and still the best was the Filmore shows maybe for nothing else than it was written for these guys to perform. The Filmore just rocks and is so haunting in a certain way.