Thread: ELP back catalogue-more reissues!!!

ELP back catalogue-more reissues!!!

Surely everything's been released? Didn't Carl Palmer even say there's nothing left 'in the can'?

Reissues on the cards after master tapes, demos, videos and more included in deal
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer have signed over their back catalogue to BMG.

This includes the rights to 17 of the supergroup’s albums and brings together contracts previously split between North America and Europe, with BMG now holding rights for the world, excluding South East Asia.

Also included in the deal are master tapes, demos, alternative versions, radio sessions, videos, rare photos, memorabilia and bootlegs.

As a result, BMG are planning an extensive reissue campaign.

ELP manager Stewart Young says: “ELP and myself are looking forward to the opportunity of working with BMG. BMG shares our belief that these works should be treated with the upmost respect, with reissues which offer the kind of quality that our fans deserve.”

Peter Stack, BMG Executive Vice-President of Global Catalogue Recordings adds: “ELP have created an extraordinary body of work which helped to define progressive rock, and we are delighted that they have placed their faith in BMG.

“We will give this catalogue the respect it truly deserves and can promise some exciting times ahead for both existing and future fans of Emerson, Lake and Palmer.”

Further details will be issued in due course.

Earlier this year, ELP released the 4-disc live set Once Upon A Time: Live In South America, which presented material recorded during a pair of tours in the 1990s.

Since I didn't hear people raving about the recent "deluxe" BSS reissue, which either means it wasn't all that great OR it was but we're all "too cool" to gush, I frankly will welcome someone taking another crack at putting one out we'll all HAVE to praise.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Since I didn't hear people raving about the recent "deluxe" BSS reissue, which either means it wasn't all that great OR it was but we're all "too cool" to gush
    I think it was Door #1. I don't have a 5.1 system, so I can't judge the surround versions, but the only one of the recent ELP remixes that I've really gotten excited about myself was Trilogy, where we actually got to hear a couple of parts that didn't make the original mix (extra section in "Living Sin" and bonus version of "From the Beginning" with an alternate Moog solo). For the same reason I enjoyed the Castle Communications issue of BSS that used a couple of alternate takes, even though it was unintentional.

There is certainly more left in the can. What about the Crossing the Rubicon demo album.

Who knows how many tracks have been fleshed out. For some who have had the privilege to hear this, several of these tracks were pretty far along and ready for proper recording

Maybe Tony will stop by and comment here

How many times have these been reissued? I've lost count.

There's got to be a base of 5-10 thousand fans that don't mind buying reissues of these albums every 5 years or so... Pretty good way to fund a retirement. Lp- cassette- cd- remastered cd- dvd-audio- another lp, ....sorry guys, hope you funded your 401k cause I'm done.....probably ....

This is getting silly. I've lost count how many times the ELP catalogue has been re-issued.

That said, Sony didn't do a very good job with the catalogue. It started pretty nicely, with the remixes of the first album and Tarkus, but then it just went wrong. The ill-advised BBS box set was expensive and didn't really include anything new, except the 5.1 mix. Cheap and expensive. Trilogy WAS very good, but it wasn't marketed at all - not even on social media. It was just delayed and delayed...and then it was out. The sleevenotes by Chris Welch on the "deluxe editions" didn't offer anything new either.

Maybe BMG will do a better job with the ELP catalogue, but i doubt it. I'm sorry for being cynical, but my guess is that the next release will be "Welcome Back My Friends..." with the same old horribly edited Cal Jam and the Manticore Special video in dubious quality. Of course, if the main album is remixed, i will buy it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    This is getting silly. I've lost count how many times the ELP catalogue has been re-issued.

That said, Sony didn't do a very good job with the catalogue. It started pretty nicely, with the remixes of the first album and Tarkus, but then it just went wrong. The ill-advised BBS box set was expensive and didn't really include anything new, except the 5.1 mix. Cheap and expensive. Trilogy WAS very good, but it wasn't marketed at all - not even on social media. It was just delayed and delayed...and then it was out. The sleevenotes by Chris Welch on the "deluxe editions" didn't offer anything new either.

Maybe BMG will do a better job with the ELP catalogue, but i doubt it. I'm sorry for being cynical, but my guess is that the next release will be "Welcome Back My Friends..." with the same old horribly edited Cal Jam and the Manticore Special video in dubious quality. Of course, if the main album is remixed, i will buy it anyway.
    So I need to get the Sony Trilogy and Steve Wilson debut album then? I think the last time I completely dove in was with the Sanctuary reissues, but I've cherry picked a few since then. Mostly looking for different song versions or much improved audio.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    So I need to get the Sony Trilogy and Steve Wilson debut album then? I think the last time I completely dove in was with the Sanctuary reissues, but I've cherry picked a few since then. Mostly looking for different song versions or much improved audio.
    Well, if you like 5.1, then the answer is definitely yes.