Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hughes / Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I might have heard a song or two from Seventh Star and I didn't care for it.
    I am not sure if I have ever heard the whole album or not. Hughes was at the height of his substance abuse problems during that recording and was a real mess according to his book. He was unable physically to do a tour for the album and went into rehab shortly afterwards.

Wow, haven't thought about this album in forever. Good stuff, with some really nice guitar playing on it. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I might have heard a song or two from Seventh Star and I didn't care for it.
    I was commenting on "Fused". Judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    And I bought it because of Pat Thrall who I knew of from a '70s San Francisco rock/funk/prog band called Automatic Man, which was founded by original Santana drummer, Michael Shrieve. I don't remember much about the Hughes/Thrall album except that I found it a bit disappointing at the time (and I'd be willing to hear it again, but it's gone with the rest of my vinyl collection). I consider Thrall to be one of the most criminally underrated rock guitar players. I still love this solo from the first of Automatic Man's two albums:

This album STILL gets a lot of play time, far more than the second album, visitors, that shrive isn't playing on. I too think Thrall is criminally overlooked. I came into his work on Stomu Yamashtas Go series. Great player. I would go to a show like this just to see him.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    This album STILL gets a lot of play time, far more than the second album, visitors, that shrive isn't playing on. I too think Thrall is criminally overlooked. I came into his work on Stomu Yamashtas Go series. Great player. I would go to a show like this just to see him.
    Yeah, the first album was better, even though the second was a better production/recording.

I actually did hear Pat live, with Frank Stallone (Sylvester's brother), of all people! It was the mid '80s, I was living in L.A. and one of my few friends that had also migrated from Chicago was playing bass with Frank... and Pat was the guitar player. The music wasn't great, but Pat still played his ass off, and I'm glad I got to hear him live. Great guitar player! I hear that these days, he mostly works as a producer and studio engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yeah, the first album was better, even though the second was a better production/recording.

I actually did hear Pat live, with Frank Stallone (Sylvester's brother), of all people! It was the mid '80s, I was living in L.A. and one of my few friends that had also migrated from Chicago was playing bass with Frank... and Pat was the guitar player. The music wasn't great, but Pat still played his ass off, and I'm glad I got to hear him live. Great guitar player! I hear that these days, he mostly works as a producer and studio engineer.
    Was your friend the bassist in Frank Stallone's band in Staying Alive?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Was your friend the bassist in Frank Stallone's band in Staying Alive?
    I'm not sure, I'll have to ask him (he eventually moved back to Chicago, like me; it just took him longer to get fed up with L.A.). But I'd be surprised; those were the days of studio players playing on a "solo" artist's album and the road rats touring it. Come to think of it, that hasn't changed much.

haohaohao2
    Red...
    Tiny Tanks