Gentle Giant - Knots
    Mr. Sirius - All The Fallen People
    Mr. Sirius - Nile For a While
    Thieves' Kitchen - The Scientists Wife
    Advent - The Silent Sentinel
    Brian Wilson - Child is the Father of the Man
    Yes - To Be Over
    Arti & Mestieri - Aria Pesante

Lots of others too, such as songs by Thinking Plague, Underground Railroad, Big Big Train, Jethro Tull, ELP, etc...
    Ay, how did I neglect 'Mumps' (esp. when I had 'Homerton')?, perhaps the greatest (in my mind) piece of music ever written! (well along with a few others?)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [69 actually.]

Except the DP track you mentioned which is actually from 68.
    Okay I'll replace it with another track from 69

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

7) "Marathon" - Kayo Dot
    Listening to this right now for the first time…intense stuff.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post

Now you just skipped up a year. I suppose you are going by the recording date though. Either way you are obviously being a smartass especially considering it's not even prog.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Listening to this right now for the first time…intense stuff.
    I love that tune; it's a good introduction to Toby Driver's cognitive-emotional manner of expressing auditive visions as well. That barren and deserted landscape of the opening swelling into flame, then emannating bird's view perspective and finally just... Drifting in and out of blissful oblivion. Absolutely gorgeous and completely transcendent and multi-dimensional. Kayo are everything for the current day that Krimso were for the day back then, and then some - artistically and musically.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Now you just skipped up a year. I suppose you are going by the recording date though. Either way you are obviously being a smartass especially considering it's not even prog.
    As far as I was concerned, I only heard Book of Taliesyn in 1969, not in '68, RYM says it was recorded in October '68. but released in Oct '69. That's why I chose all the tracks released in '69 in my first list. As for Black Sabbath, it wasn't a 3 min pop song and sounded as progressive as DP in Rock's Child in Time which was sharing the turntable with Sabbath. Was Iron Butterfly's Ball progressive or heavy rock, was Disciple progressive or new wave?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I'm just gonna list the two greatest IMHO

Yes - Close to the Edge
    Genesis - Supper's Ready
    Done!

Any list that does NOT have Supper's Ready on it, the song which encompasses EVERY element of what people who actually understand the true & original definition of Prog music, is a useless list..

Otherwise, it is just "somebody's" 15 favorite prog tunes and NOT the best of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Done! Any list that does NOT have Supper's Ready on it, the song which encompasses EVERY element of what people who actually understand the true & original definition of Prog music, is a useless list.
    Now please give us all that true and original definition, will you? Pleeeethe?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post

BS is from 1970 actually.

Now please give us all that true and original definition, will you? Pleeeethe?

I only like parts of "Supper's Ready." I figure there's a reason why Genesis didn't do any more epics after that.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

I only like parts of "Supper's Ready." I figure there's a reason why Genesis didn't do any more epics after that.
    I know the term "epic" is rather nebulous, but I think Cinema Show, Domino Pts 1 & 2, and parts of Duke approach "epic" status. Perhaps you mean they did not do any more long songs that were subdivided, with the individual sections having titles.

Whether something appears on the track listing as one long epic track or half a dozen short ones is largely at the whim of the artist. For example many of the songs on The Lamb segue into one another, and on one level it can be listened to as a small number of long epic tracks, each with identifiable sections in the manner of Supper's Ready.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I know the term "epic" is rather nebulous
    I was referring to single tracks that are listed as being 18 or more minutes. Segues and suites (with separate track listings) are not what I was talking about. "Cinema Show" is 11:04. In my mind there's a difference between a long-ish track and an epic (and Genesis had lots of the former).

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I was referring to single tracks that are listed as being 18 or more minutes.
    The board of collective Prog councils TM decided at the 2011 joint meeting of the Prog committee core sympozia in the honourable town of Nosbark (pop. 157, alt. 156 when local barowner Jerry Fritzwepper leaves to see his sick mum in neighbouring town Dickock every third weekend), Arkansas, that the mandatory standard of the Prog epic was 15 mins or more.

The board of collective Prog councils TM decided at the 2011 joint meeting of the Prog committee core sympozia in the honourable town of Nobark, Arkansas, that the mandatory standard of the Prog epic was 15 mins or more.
    15:31 to be precise, as that is the length of "Awaken", the last acceptable epic created in the history of music.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

The board of collective Prog councils TM decided at the 2011 joint meeting of the Prog committee core sympozia in the honourable town of Nosbark (pop. 157, alt. 156 when local barowner Jerry Fritzwepper leaves to see his sick mum in neighbouring town Dickock every third weekend), Arkansas, that the mandatory standard of the Prog epic was 15 mins or more.
    Well, that settles it!