Thread: Alternative titles for songs

Alternative titles for songs

Disco Project by Italian band Pink Project, which was their name for their mash up of Another Brick in the Wall with Alan Parsons' Mammagamma

Looking Through the Knothole in Granny's Wooden Leg - Roger Waters' own live alternative name for Echoes in 1972.

The Wizard of Aus - An alternative title for The Strangler's Nuclear Device

Randy Scouse Git by The Monkees was released in the UK with the alternate title of...Alternate Title.

Also, Pink Floyd's Echoes at one stage was known also as Return Of The Son Of Nothing. Atom Heat Mother was originally titled The Amazing Pudding. I believe Saucerful Of Secrets was originally known as The Massed Gadgets Of Hercules. Careful With That Axe Eugene had a couple different alternate titles. Of course, Dogs was originally known as You Gotta Be Crazy, and Sheep was originally titled Raving And Drooling.

The only one I know of is this Chick Corea song; three very different versions with three very different titles:

There's a jam for almost 2 and a half minutes before the tune starts:

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Nan True's Hole
    Oh, Len's Nature
    Ethanol Nurse

Song for the Bearded Lady
    Hazard Profile, Part One (this is where John comes in and explains what a great new arrangement was put together by the Softs )

Suspended
    Radiohead did a whole album (Hail To the Thief) where every song has a main title and an alternate title in brackets.

FZ:
    The Squirm (original title)
    Bowling On Charen (released)

Teenage Wasteland
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Teenage Wasteland
    or "Teenage Waistline", as it was commonly misheard.

Tubular Bells -> Opus One.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Randy Scouse Git by The Monkees was released in the UK with the alternate title of...Alternate Title.

Also, Pink Floyd's Echoes at one stage was known also as Return Of The Son Of Nothing. Atom Heat Mother was originally titled The Amazing Pudding. I believe Saucerful Of Secrets was originally known as The Massed Gadgets Of Hercules. Careful With That Axe Eugene had a couple different alternate titles. Of course, Dogs was originally known as You Gotta Be Crazy, and Sheep was originally titled Raving And Drooling.
    Cheers GG.
    The only one of those I was aware of was Return Of The Son Of Nothing as yet another alt. title for Echoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Nan True's Hole
    Oh, Len's Nature
    Ethanol Nurse

Song for the Bearded Lady
    Hazard Profile, Part One (this is where John comes in and explains what a great new arrangement was put together by the Softs )
    Who? What?

I'm completely lost on this one. If it has anything to do with jazz or fusion that is why I'm lost.

You have a serious gap in your knowledge of none of those titles are familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No gaps at all, my head is full of the musical knowledge I want to have in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    You have a serious gap in your knowledge of none of those titles are familiar.

What a pompous and arrogant thing to say about a person's musical preferences

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Who? What?

I'm completely lost on this one. If it has anything to do with jazz or fusion that is why I'm lost.
    Matching Mole and Hatfield & the North

Nucleus and Soft Machine

I figured most PEers would know.

Nucleus and Soft Machine

Yes, because of course ALL PEers (whatever those are) are huge Soft Machine, Matching Mole, Hatfield & The North, and Nucleus fans, aren't they?

They should be.

Jim Pembroke's song "Friend from the Fields" became "Marverly Skimmer" on Wigwam's Being. The band later re-recorded it under its original title for Light Ages. Also "Petty-Bourgeois" and "Maestro Mercy" from the same album were written as "Sunny Disaster" and "Goodbye Mother Earth". Finally, Pekka Pohjola later re-arranged and re-recorded the music for "Pride of the Biosphere" as "Kädet suoristavat veden" on his solo album Keesojen lehto - and with English and Swedish editions of that album, it is also known as "Hands Straighten the Water" and "Vatten står sig slätt i handen".

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Jim Pembroke's song "Friend from the Fields" became "Marverly Skimmer" on Wigwam's Being. The band later re-recorded it under its original title for Light Ages. Also "Petty-Bourgeois" and "Maestro Mercy" from the same album were written as "Sunny Disaster" and "Goodbye Mother Earth". Finally, Pekka Pohjola later re-arranged and re-recorded the music for "Pride of the Biosphere" as "Kädet suoristavat veden" on his solo album Keesojen lehto - and with English and Swedish editions of that album, it is also known as "Hands Straighten the Water" and "Vatten står sig slätt i handen".
    Also, “P.K.:s Supermarket” from Fairyport re-emerged as “Cat Boulevard” on Pekka Pohjola’s Space Waltz. Did he ever re-make “43 Seconds of Arc Per Century,” his lone compositional contribution to Made in Sweden’s Where Do We Begin?

Magma: “Kobaïa” = “Kobah”

Not quite the same thing, but the above post reminded me of it: the opening riff to “Bye Bye Sadie” by Lucifer’s Friend has its origins, hilariously, in a cheesy classical cover the band had recorded for the Europa label as the Pink Mice! Check it out!

Never cared much for Nucleus, or the Karl Jenkins era of Soft Machine.
    Last edited by Progbear; 11-28-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Hawkwind is notorious for having two or more names and versions of songs:
    "Mirror of Illusion"-->"Mask of Morning"
    "The Golden Void"--->"Void of Golden Light"
    "Wired up for Sound"---> "Earthed to the Ground"
    "Death of War"--->"Bosnia"

Also, The Great Society:
    "Didn't Think So"--->"Like a Raven"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Nucleus and Soft Machine

Thanks for explaining. I've tried in the past to like the Canterbury Sound, but I just don't. The closest I get is Caravan's Grey & Pink album and a couple of Robert Wyatt tracks, that's it I'm afraid.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Marillion's "Marbles" was originally titled "Wear Your Gun to Neverland." At least I think it was for Marbles. It was a working title. For "Somewhere Else" they were considering "God Bless America."

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What a pompous and arrogant thing to say about a person's musical preferences
    Not pompous or arrogant at all, and I really didn't mean anything detrimental against your own your musical preferences, but it's a prog site and these are cornerstone artists (Hatfields & Soft Machine), l was surprised you didn't know any of the titles.
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 12-03-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Teenage Wasteland

Actually, that's a seperate (though closely related) track the Who never released and PT only did on the huge Lifehouse box set...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Type O Negative renamed most of their songs for their (fake) live album The Origin of the Feces, e.g. "Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity" became "I Know You're [censored] Someone Else"
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."