Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bands you discovered thanks to PE

Starcastle
    Spock's Beard

Mars Hollow, Heliopolis

Countless, really. Among many others, Opeth, Big Big Train, Astra, Wobbler...the list goes on and on.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

The eons are closing
    The Spanish prog scene (e.g. GOMA, Iceberg)

Captain Beyond
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Mars Hollow, Heliopolis, Pinnacle and 3RDegree...!,

Peace,
    Alex

Yes ...billion times...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    but definitely Moth Vellum,
    Yeah, that's another one I discovered here. Quite alright I must say. Also, thanks to Geezer, Forever Changes by Love as well.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Why thank you, Mr. R. Anyone on PE who's never heard Forever Changes after all the love it's gotten here is truly missing an amazing musical journey (yeah, it IS my favorite album ever).

The easiest way for me to put it is that I didn't discover bands thanks to PE, but rather an entire pastiche of music still alive that I thought was dead, and innumerable friends (some have become very close friends) thanks to PE.

The number of bands I had never heard before my first login to PE in the fall of '06 that I now own music by (some their entire catalog up to double digit cds) probably numbers over 200 at least.
    Last edited by progeezer; 01-15-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Since the death of real FM radio, I discover most bands that are new to me by word of mouth and from PE.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Advent
    Ske
    Ciccada
    Mars Hollow
    Yugen
    Twin Age
    Echolyn
    Wobbler
    District 97
    Dissonati
    3rd Degree
    Moth Vellum
    Astra
    Future Kings of England

Wow that's a lot of my very favorite artists there! Only a few of my favorites: Big Big Train, Thieves' Kitchen, Ere G, Kotebel, Karda Estra and Anglagard I knew of before or outside of PE.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    far too many to list

Lets just say that all prog outside of Kansas, Genesis, Yes, ELP... well, save for King Crimson, Camel, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic (I was intro'd to them over at Rave Recordings). But yeah, anything significant in the world of prog in the last 10 years, I heard it here first. The featured album thread is always enlightening and entertaining.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Black Country Communion

Bloody hundreds, especially if I reckon back to r.m.p. (and a.m.p. before that). This has been an incredible resource for me, as well as a pain in the ass (specifically, where my wallet sits)...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quite a few actually, which is the thing I love most about PE. Not long after I joined at Yahoo, Progfellow sent me a Gentle Giant sampler and I got heavily into that. Then I think it was Yogibear who sent me some PFM and I got heavily into that. Before PE I had never heard of Van der Graaf Generator, Caravan or Gong and now I'm really into them. Other bands I've come to enjoy from suggestions here are Banco, Hawkwind, Porcupine Tree, Soft Machine and National Health. Dushanbe is pretty cool too.

Ozric Tenticles . Thanks PE!