Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Prog albums for Autumn and Winter.

Your favorite Prog albums for Autumn and Winter.

As soon as the leaves start to change into their beautiful fall colors and the air gets nippy, I start reaching for my back catalogue of Strawbs, Tull and Fairport albums. Do you have any albums that you favor during Fall and Winter seasons?

^It seems that in my country the seasons are somehow increasingly weird Steve, but this winter I've listened to Heroes And Heroines quite a few times, up to date, I love this album. Coincidently that you mentioned Strawbs
    However I had some issues with other Strawbs works, which I don't remember them anymore right now, just that they felt too folk.
    Good holidays to you too.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 11-22-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

sourdough advocate
    Wind & Wuthering and PF's More always have an autumn feel for me. It's probably because I bought both of them during November while in high school. The cover of W&W helps as well. Nothing specific comes to mind for winter other than Ummagumma. I don't remember when I first bought it, but I always listen to Grantchester Meadows in the depths of winter while I'm longing for spring's arrival. The imagery in that tune is wonderful!
    When in doubt....

Suspended
    Winter? What's that?

Sincerely, today I listened to Cirrus Minor, my fave track off More and one of my very favourite PF tracks, funny how at times some little birds come across my apartment balconery when I spin it hahah
    Winter is the best season to sleep, and when I can't conciliate it I do sometimes put some music as an attempt. I remember the last time, it was a couple of years ago that I put some tracks by Camel. I like the band but just occasionally listen to them, not actually a fan.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 11-22-2015 at 07:05 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I always thought of Wind and Wuthering as an autumn album. The cover has that feel too.

Strawbs - Hero and the Heroine

The Cressida and Fantasy albums (especially Paint a Picture) are very evocative of the season, I find.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

In winter I use to listen to Cello music quite a lot. Hindemith, Britten, Elgar, Schostakovich, many others...
    Of prog, that's Jethro Tull two winter albums - Stormwatch and Christmas Album. Always revisit them in winter. Other choices pretty occasional.

Yes - Relayer. Released November 1974.

Yeah, I put away the summer stuff, and gravitate to more reflective stuff. Often this could be Anthony Phillips, White Willow, Advent, or an album like 'Wind and Wuthering'. This year there was a lot of Tony Banks due to the box set, especially the all-instrumental disc. Later in the season Big Big Train can work, or more Anthony Phillips. When it gets to evening 'Hatfield and the North' really does it, having a strong cloudy day into evening feel. Bo Hansson too, but 'Hatfield & The North' more than anything, their first album still one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard, with 'Rotter's Club' not far behind. Since Genesis was purposely seasonal, I'll on occasion throw on 'And Then There Were Three' in the winter, and 'Foxtrot' kind of sounds like a cloudy day album for me too.

Suspended
    For a musical background to bitterly cold weather. it's hard to beat No-man - Together We're Stranger.

Interesting question.

My particular associations tend to be with places, not seasons. For example, there's a stretch of I-5 in far northern California, just five or ten miles past the OR-CA border, that I connect with Time Of Orchids' Namesake Caution: I was listening to it once, when I drove through there, and for some reason the two are always paired in my head. Or another stretch of the same highway near Ashland OR, 20 miles or so north of there, that ties in with the first Hatfield + the North. Not every stretch of road has such an association, not every album or song does, and I don't know why or wherefore.

Although there is an autumnal feel to both of those for me, because I always used to make the drive to the Bay Area to visit my dad for Christmas, and that's the way I went.

Sigur Ros ( )
    Someone said Relayer...
    Villa Lobos...forest of the amazon
    Celia valdez ...cuban opera Ganzalo Roig (dont ask)
    Roxy Music... Flesh&blood... Avalon.
    Phil manzanera... Primitive guitars matto grosso
    The Doors
    Wire 154

Some prog in there... I want to revisit Santanas moonflower LP. Been a long time since i've given it a listen.
    Still alive and well...

A lot of Tull once the autumn weather shows up. ...And Then There Were Three is my go-to Genesis album when winter hits. Also Rush's Fly By Night, but that stems from a decades-old memory I have of walking home from my friend's house in the falling snow while listening to the cassette on my walkman.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by jot View Post
    Same here. This is the ultimate winger album for me. I listen to Alit of classical music in the winter. It always seemed more appropriate for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rather enjoy putting on The Rotter's Club during the winter. It has a certain warmth and sound to it that seem to complement autumn/winter weather.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Quote Originally Posted by jot View Post
    Yes indeed, plus Tales, GFTO and Tormato.

Genesis Wind & Wuthering is a good call, among many others like Stawbs, I'd add Renaissance, Camel's Moonmadness, Anglagard, Crimso's Islands with Formentera Lady, and Wobbler to that list of prog.

I also listen to a lot of ECM jazz around this time of year, just seems to go with the introspective change of seasons: Gateway I & II, Jan Gabarek albums, Pat Metheny Group, Barre Phillips Mountainscapes, Terje Rypdal, etc.

Anglagard-Epilog

Suspended
    Nosound is also good winter listening.

I live in the desert and it's going to peak at 80 today, so winter doesn't figure a great deal into my selections. But when it does get cold and grim, I tend to reach for heavier albums more often.

However, Frost* - 'Milliontown' has a very wintry feel overall, as does Sieges Even's 'The Art of Navigating by the Stars'.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I live in the desert and it's going to peak at 80 today, so winter doesn't figure a great deal into my selections. But when it does get cold and grim, I tend to reach for heavier albums more often.

However, Frost* - 'Milliontown' has a very wintry feel overall, as does Sieges Even's 'The Art of Navigating by the Stars'.
    No problem. What do people in Arizona and Florida listen to when the weather drops below 70 degrees?

Autumn and winter is the best time for music. For me, Wind & Wuthering of course, Camel's Snow Goose and Moonmadness, Thule's two first, Hackett's Please Don't Touch (although it's not my fave of his, but the whole album has a wintry feel to it), Kansas' Song for America (maybe because of the "on a winter's night" part ...) - and winter is also the time when I pull out my old 90's metal platters, from Darkthrone and Emperor to My Dying Bride and old school death metal Anathema (can't stand their post-transformation stuff). I also like any sound Eddie Jobson makes on cold and windy autumn/winter's days - the sound of his CS80 is always somewhat glacial. Alaska, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Autumn and winter is the best time for music. For me, Wind & Wuthering of course,

Of course!

From another thread, I'd say Alan Parson's brilliant Try Anything Once is a winter album for me. Maybe not exactly prog but sure was compared to almost everything else that came out in 1993!