Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Prog albums for Autumn and Winter.

Schnauser - Protein for Everyone
    Mats/Morgan Band - Thanks for Flying With Us

Schnauser has special significance with fall and leaves all over the road - driving across the turnpike in PA to a funeral. Funny thing though - that album makes me really happy regardless of the reason I was there. Probably because I dont get any real fall or gorgeous trees in Texas. Bleck.

Lindisfarne - Winter Song, January Song, Fog on the Tyne, Warm Feeling, Stormy Weather
    Badlands - Winter's Call
    Judus Priest - Winter, Deep Freeze and Winter Retreat
    UK - Alaska
    Rick Wakeman - White Rock
    Atomic RoOoster - Winter
    Black Sabbath - Tyr
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Jethro Tull's Songs From The Wood feels like autumn but so does Mostly Autumn.

UK's debut always feels like winter to me. Maybe it's that Alaska song...

And just because of the album cover...Wind And Wuthering.
    The Prog Corner

Just about ANYTHING from Quebec; Octobre, Contraction, Opus-5, Morse Code, Sloche, Conventum, Maneige and Harmonium's L'Heptade espec.

For the UK it might be Before a Word Is Said by Gowen-Miller-Sinclair-Tomkins, Power & the Glory by Gentle Giant or H to He by VdGG, possibly even Red Queen by Gryphon or Touch Me by The Enid, alternatively The Civil Surface by Egg or something by Bronski Beat.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by jot View Post
    Yes - Relayer. Released November 1974.
    For me it's Drama. I'm guessing I got it around the holidays and listened to it all winter - probably '83 or '84. And the snowy cover too. For whatever reasons, that album sounds like Christmas to me.

Agalloch
    flute juice

Kate Bush's (relatively) recent "50 Words for Snow" album is a lovely winter time listen.

Hostsonaten has an album for each season. I think I have a couple of them, can't remember which. Here's "Winterthrough" on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Ge...4EAD070A368BD7

Suspended
    I know a lot of people here can't stand Coldplay, but I do like some of their work, and I find the album Viva la Vida etc to have a very wintry atmosphere to it, with the exception of the title track. Songs like "Cemeteries of London", "Violet Hill" and "Death and All His Friends" sound particularly chilly.

Of course with a name like Coldplay, I suppose they should be producing music appropriate for autumn and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The Cressida and Fantasy albums (especially Paint a Picture) are very evocative of the season, I find.
    Cressida yes, but with Fantasy I find that while PaP most definitely evokes images and feels of winter, Beyond the Beyond comes across as the exact opposite; an exquisite taste of lazy summer afternoons. "Reality", "Just a Dream" and particularly closer "Church Clock" sort among the dearest summer tunes I know from this specific type of UK rock. The Quicksand album is another example of a decidedly "summery" record for me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Jethro Tull's Songs From The Wood feels like autumn but so does Mostly Autumn.
    Agreed about Songs from the Wood, particularly "Fire at Midnight", "Jack in the Green" and "Ring Out Solstice Bells". But I think Living in the Past offers even more of an autumn/winter feel with "Christmas Song", "The Witches Promise" (definitely autumn this), "Bouree" (festive ), "Wond'ring Again", etc.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch; they all seemed linked to the autumn to me. Maybe it was because Tull's tours back then invariably came through the area around Oct./Nov.

My absolute favorites are from Hostsonaten. The Fall & Winter albums are Autumnsymphony & Wintethrough. Great instrumental albums & I am not a fan of instrumental CDs. They also have Springsong & Summereve. I love this stuff. Give it a try. Well, give it a try, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith 951 ZZO View Post
    My absolute favorites are from Hostsonaten. The Fall & Winter albums are Autumnsymphony & Wintethrough. Great instrumental albums & I am not a fan of instrumental CDs. They also have Springsong & Summereve. I love this stuff. Give it a try. Well, give it a try, please.
    I love Hostsonaten. Their other albums outside of this series are excellent as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I live in Southern California, on November 22 & 23 it was 80 to 87 degrees here.

Hence; we have no seasons

Hence: we listen to whatever all year long...!

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Agalloch
    This is my choice.

Sent from my Aquaris E5 HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

And just because of the album cover...Wind And Wuthering.
    This topic comes up regularly (probably once a year!) and Wind & Wuthering is always the standout Autumn album...and I've always meant to ask...is it JUST the cover? For me, there's nothing autumnal in the music itself...indeed most of the seasonal references on the album are to summer (Afterglow, Blood on the Rooftops, Eleventh Earl...).

And Then There Were Three...is definitely a Winter album however

Suspended
    ... and Selling England is a summer album, or perhaps late spring. It isn't just the cover. There is "I Know what I Like" (on which the cover is based); Epping Foreest (I can't imagine events like that happening in the colder months in the UK); and in general to me the music just sounds warm and summery.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-26-2015 at 07:18 AM.

I forgot about this one and it's about time it came out: Enya: And Winter Came.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I know a lot of people here can't stand Coldplay, but I do like some of their work, and I find the album Viva la Vida etc to have a very wintry atmosphere to it, with the exception of the title track. Songs like "Cemeteries of London", "Violet Hill" and "Death and All His Friends" sound particularly chilly.
    I'm mixed on Coldplay. I've usually liked 2 or maybe 3 songs per album through X&Y and final bought Viva la Vida last month remembering I liked the 3 songs and it was produced by Brian Eno so curious.

I'd listen to "Lovers in Japan" while in Japan during a few autumns, so that is definitely a fall song for me. As you said, it does seem wintry overall.

Autumn:
    War of the worlds
    Trick of the tail
    W & W
    The Kick inside, lionheart, never for ever
    Songs from the Wood
    Fragile
    Meddle

Winter:
    Trespass
    The Jethro Tull crimbo album
    Sensual world
    DSOTM
    The final cut
    Red
    Acquiring the taste

UK debut has winter spirit, not only because of Alaska.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Kate Bush"s "50 Words for Snow" and a good single malt.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    For me it's Drama. I'm guessing I got it around the holidays and listened to it all winter - probably '83 or '84. And the snowy cover too. For whatever reasons, that album sounds like Christmas to me.
    And it doesn't even include "run with the fox."

Opeth: Damnation