Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Fripp not amused in Toronto

Mr Fripp not amused in Toronto

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm

A Message From Toronto
    :: Posted by Sid Smith on Fri., Nov 20, 2015
    This just in from Robert in Toronto.

The band went onstage at 20.15 in good spirits. Mel played beautifully over the Eb major / Cm Soundscape. Into Larks’ I and onwards.

My experience was of pouring wine into a cup with a hole in it. Once upon a time, I would have attributed this feeling-experience to the presence of bootlegging. Several times the thought flew by: you only need one prick in a balloon.

The energy of a performance contains and embraces those within it, performers and audients. When the energy encircles and holds the event, the performance develops intensity, shifts gear, and becomes a qualitatively different undertaking: it takes off and flies away into a different world. When we are carried with it, sometimes a performance can be transformational: even, redirect the course of lives. A requirement of players and listeners is to remain engaged and present, hopefully with goodwill, to the extent that all can bring to bear. Tonight, strangely, nothing took off IMO; a first for this KC.

Persistent camera persons persisted, despite rounds of applause for the Revised Photo Policy announcement before the show, continuing into the encores.

The Guitarist Stage Left also persisted. Until finally, having been slapped around the face and stabbed in the heart too many times (this is how I experience violation in performance), it was not possible to honourably continue. Robert left the stage, followed shortly by the other Crims. The show finished, a result of ongoing photographic abuse.

The revised KC photo policy is a fair and reasonable way of engaging with those who hand over their hard-earned pay and feel the need to take a picture of the band. To photograph outside those parameters is at least rude, and discourteous to other audients and the players. At a certain point, given the intentionality that gives rise to an act, proscribed acts become aggressive; even close to an expression of ill will. This is what I felt tonight.

A report on tonight’s performance, presented from a viewpoint of playing in public for over 56 years.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was at the show (Thursday) I do respect Robert Fripp's policy.... although I thought what was more annoying was the excessive amount of people constantly walking up and down the aisle. Albeit, most likely for piss breaks. To me that was more annoying.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progknocker View Post
    I was at the show (Thursday) I do respect Robert Fripp's policy.... although I thought what was more annoying was the excessive amount of people constantly walking up and down the aisle. Albeit, most likely for piss breaks. To me that was more annoying.
    The Crimso fans' prostates are not getting any smaller.

Ugh. How hard is to NOT take a picture? Regardless of whether or not you understand or agree with a policy, if someone repeatedly asks you please, don't do this .. and you do it anyway ... WHY.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Ugh. How hard is to NOT take a picture? Regardless of whether or not you understand or agree with a policy, if someone repeatedly asks you please, don't do this .. and you do it anyway ... WHY.
    That's as rhetorical a question as any other.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The weird thing is that this "revised policy" business means (AIUI) that you are now allowed to take photos at King Crimson concerts, but only at the end of the show. So Fripp has given an inch, and it sounds like the audience has reacted by taking a mile.

Fripp isn't happy unless he's unhappy.

I was at the Monday show in Montreal and saw no picture taking until Tony picked up his camera. All worked as it should. It was great not to have to be distracted by iphone knobheads. Also, the show had a policy re returning from a pee break - ypu had to wait until a break in the mosic, just like a classical recital. Great policy. Should be universal. Will be in the TO show tonight - hope there is not the problem of last night. Tools.

If Fripp can't accept the realities of being a performer in this day and age, he should probably just quit - although I suspect that Dave has it right: he probably just likes having something to be angry about. Hey, if it spurs him to create some more awesome dark aggressive music, then I say keep those smart-phones smarting!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fripp being Fripp, the audience should know by now what is expected of them, basic civility. If you can't stick to the rules don't go to the show. I wonder how many of the knobheads were disappointed in Fripp leaving the stage and how many were called out on it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I saw Robert do his Soundscapes thing at the Iron Horse here in town many moons (10 years?) ago. On that evening he walked off the stage for half an hour after some reprobate snapped a picture. He refused to return until the surrender of said camera.

I was among the fortunate few a couple of years back who got to experience Fripp's Orchestra of Crafty Guitarists or whatever the 70+ acoustic guitar ensemble was called, in neighboring Hadley MA in a beautiful church sanctuary. Not a picture taken, nary a whisper...the music punctuated only by the sounds of crickets outside. A transcendental experience.

In Bruford's book:
    ”... a neat-looking man with round spectacles staring at the floor, disengaged, disagreeable, and unwilling to please.
    On a good night the seated man appeared unhappy about something, and on a bad night unhappy about everything."

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    What a diva
    Quite.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The first couple of days on Cruise to the Edge there were WAY too many smartphones held aloft, as well as some on selfie sticks - most annoying. I was glad to see the cameras taper off after a couple of days, but overall still way too much.

So, how early did Fripp walk offstage? I'd have been pretty bummed, but yeah, more annoyed at those who couldn't keep it in their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    If Fripp can't accept the realities of being a performer in this day and age, he should probably just quit - although I suspect that Dave has it right: he probably just likes having something to be angry about. Hey, if it spurs him to create some more awesome dark aggressive music, then I say keep those smart-phones smarting!
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Fripp being Fripp, the audience should know by now what is expected of them, basic civility. If you can't stick to the rules don't go to the show. I wonder how many of the knobheads were disappointed in Fripp leaving the stage and how many were called out on it.
    Both Facelift and Nogbad make good points, but I side with Facelift here. Yes, any Crimson fan should know this by now, and yes, it's beyond rude, but what about those who abide by the request? Why do you short them a full performance? They paid their money, and traveled however far they had to travel to see a show, not a crotchety old man who can't deal with today's audiences throw a hissy fit and walk off-stage.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That's Toronto for ya! The people were more into taking selfies of themselves with the band in the background than paying attention to the show they paid to see! At least no beer was spilled on any babies!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I saw Fripp doing soundscapes back in the late 70's and he was very engaged with his audience, though no cameras were allowed back then either I believe...this is when he went on tour with himself and 2 tape recorders. Possibly these were better band mates for him.

I saw him in recent years at Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis, again doing his solo soundscapes/ frippertronics. Apparently his equipment did not arrive on time, thus he came out and did a Q and A session for about 45 minutes. Quite boring. When finally the equipment did arrive he noodled out his Soundscapes, not even once taking off with any of the fervor that we know he is capable of. He played for probably another 45 minutes got up and left. No encore, no after-show meetings, done.... what a waste.
    Never again.

I respect the No photo policy at the KC shows, though it is ironic Tony takes pictures of the band and audience, but the crowd is not allowed to reciprocate.But if it says no cameras, you should respect that. Though I'm not sure why some sort of warning wasn't given after he noticed the first violators. He is correct, it is our hard earned money that supports him and all music artists...and tickets are not cheap! He should in turn respect that many people that did not violate the policy got somewhat screwed because of a few. We pay your salary Mr Fripp! Get over it, you are not starving, you've made significant money, start acting like you appreciate what the "audience" has done for you. And honestly if people would like to take a picture with a non-flash camera and have a visual memory of the evening...I'm not sure what is wrong with that? Its not like people are making millions off of pictures of KC. In his state of mind, I don't know how anything would distract him...he is likely more distracting to the rest of the band when he is personally upset and why it possibly did not gel that night. I don't take pictures when a band asks not to, but really don't understand the mindset either.
    Last edited by Proghound; 11-20-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So, how early did Fripp walk offstage? I'd have been pretty bummed, but yeah, more annoyed at those who couldn't keep it in their pants.
    They played Court as the encore and presumably would have followed with 21stCSM but stopped after Court.

Sorry but the usual tired argument about he should deal with it is bullshit. The recording they played before the show is polite and explains why they're asking not to take pictures but the dickheads go ahead and do it anyway.

This is nothing new for Fripp. When I saw KC in the late eighties, people in the audience were yelling for older KC songs, like Schizoid Man, that KC wasn't playing at the time. Fripp said something to the effect that Greg Lake as playing old KC songs and the audience should go see him perform in England. The concert I was at was in Connecticut in the USA! So, the audience started demanding airfare from Fripp! Poor devil.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 11-20-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Rushed post.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Sorry but the usual tired argument about he should deal with it is bullshit. The recording they played before the show is polite and explains why they're asking not to take pictures but the dickheads go ahead and do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    though it is ironic Tony takes pictures of the band and audience, but the crowd is not allowed to reciprocate.
    Pay attention please. The revised policy referred several times in this thread: when Tony's camera comes out, so can the audience's.

I have a hard time going to concerts anymore myself given how inconsiderate people have become.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    They played Court as the encore and presumably would have followed with 21stCSM but stopped after Court.
    If it was only the second encore they cut then I think the fans got off lightly given previous walk-offs, Fripp must have mellowed.

I've seen him solo doing Soundscapes where the lighting was up, he did a Q&A and seemed very chatty (for Fripp), I personally think he gets into a particular mindset for Crimson gigs.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've seen him solo doing Soundscapes where the lighting was up, he did a Q&A and seemed very chatty (for Fripp), I personally think he gets into a particular mindset for Crimson gigs.
    I caught him on the 1983 "lecture" tour--which was actually Frippertronics and a Q&A session--and he actually hung out afterwards, mingling and chatting with the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Pay attention please. The revised policy referred several times in this thread: when Tony's camera comes out, so can the audience's.
    Sorry I did not read that carefully, when I saw KC last year there was a no camera policy throughout the entire show, and Tony still snapped a few shots. But again, I supported the policy, and I do hate it when people take advantage of a situation and are more of a distraction to the audience then the band sometimes. Though, I do not appreciate Fripp making the decision for me of how I should absorb his show, I must say easing the policy and letting people take pictures at the end seems like a fair trade off, and it absolutely makes no sense why people can't respect that. Aside from Fripp, I have seen this asked at Steven Wilson, and Eddie Jobson(UK)...interesting group!