Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Fripp not amused in Toronto

He's a miserable git! Making the majority suffer for the behavour of a minority!

I will never again buy a RF product based on principle!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    FB:Jakko M Jakszyk
    Excessive photography and filming. In spite of being politely asked, in spite of being told by crew and security during the first encore, in spite of Robert and others pointing at offenders during said encore. As my Tech John pointed out 'some people still park in disabled bays, like the rules somehow don't apply to them' Shame. They spoilt the evening for everyone else.

Exactly. It's not Fripp "ruining the show," it's the rude, inconsiderate, entitled assholes ruining it.

As for "today's realities," why should Fripp/Crimson/anybody else conform to anybody's expectations? Isn't that kinda what progressive rock is all about? Defying people's expectations? You want to take pictures at a concert, don't pay a bunch of money to go to a concert where they repeatedly and firmly (but politely) ask you not to take pictures.

If you pay for something, responsibilities go both ways. You know what your responsibilities are: adhere to them. If your reality is that you shouldn't have to fulfill your responsibilities, then kindly fuck off.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    FB:Jakko M Jakszyk
    Excessive photography and filming. In spite of being politely asked, in spite of being told by crew and security during the first encore, in spite of Robert and others pointing at offenders during said encore. As my Tech John pointed out 'some people still park in disabled bays, like the rules somehow don't apply to them' Shame. They spoilt the evening for everyone else.
    Fripp spoilt it IMHO! Most attendees would have spent there hard earnt cash, taken time off work to attend etc but he couldn't see beyond the idiocrosity of a few idiots! If everybody reacted in such a manner touring wouldn't exist! It happens, get over it Mr. Miserable Fripp and stop acting like a spoilt brat!

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Ugh. How hard is to NOT take a picture? Regardless of whether or not you understand or agree with a policy, if someone repeatedly asks you please, don't do this .. and you do it anyway ... WHY.
    How hard is it not to clap and hoot and howl after every name is announced at graduation.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Both Facelift and Nogbad make good points, but I side with Facelift here. Yes, any Crimson fan should know this by now, and yes, it's beyond rude, but what about those who abide by the request? Why do you short them a full performance? They paid their money, and traveled however far they had to travel to see a show, not a crotchety old man who can't deal with today's audiences throw a hissy fit and walk off-stage.
    Yep, he should boot the offender, not punish the audience. Too bad he has such disregard for the overwhelming majority of his fans.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've clearly understood, since first seeing Fripp around 1980, don't take photos. Why is that hard for middle aged concert goers to understand? It's a common contract - just live with it. Too bad the audience missed that final song, it was amazing in Albany last year.

They where pointing cameras for f'#^k sake, not guns! HIS behaviour was a disgrace and disrespectful to the majority! I'm done with Fripp!

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 11-20-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    They where pointing cameras for f'#^k sake, not guns! HIS behaviour was a disgrace and disrespectful to the majority! I'm done with Fripp!

What next Rufus?

Robert Fripp ruined photography?!?!?

-=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Phones have made photography at concerts worse than ever. Why the hell is anyone taking cell phone footage from 50 feet away anyway? Just watch the damn show!

I read something about the Toronto show that said people were banging in and out of the side doors throughout the show, yapping away constantly. Why are you even there??? Go waste your excessive money elsewhere. Why spend that much on a ticket to hang out?
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He's a miserable git! Making the majority suffer for the behavour of a minority!

I will never again buy a RF product based on principle!
    Fripp spoilt it IMHO! Most attendees would have spent there hard earnt cash, taken time off work to attend etc but he couldn't see beyond the idiocrosity of a few idiots! If everybody reacted in such a manner touring wouldn't exist! It happens, get over it Mr. Miserable Fripp and stop acting like a spoilt brat!
    We get it, you're done with Fripp.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post

Sorry but the usual tired argument about he should deal with it is bullshit. The recording they played before the show is polite and explains why they're asking not to take pictures but the dickheads go ahead and do it anyway.
    Hell yes. Deal with it? Fripp cares and feels "stabbed in the heart" not just for himself, but for the "audients" too, according to his explanation. People being idiots and then saying "deal with it" are the "divas"

How difficult is it not to take pictures? Are they bored? I was at the first night at Edinburgh, people were more interested in the music than taking pictures for their Facebook page or Twitter feed or...what, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    How difficult is it not to take pictures? Are they bored? I was at the first night at Edinburgh, people were more interested in the music than taking pictures for their Facebook page or Twitter feed or...what, exactly?
    It seems to be typical of the general concertgoing public. And the talking throughout a concert -- last year I saw Steely Dan, and the couple sitting behind us kept talking throughout the whole show. Why even bother going to a concert if you're not going to pay attention to the music being played?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    iphone knobheads.
    I liked the rest of what you said, but thanks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I saw Steely Dan
    Rufus is Done with Fripp, and you're Through with Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Rufus is Done with Fripp, and you're Through with Buzz.
    And why shouldn't I be? He takes all my money!

The audience is self-centered, and Fripp is ridiculous. They probably deserve each other.

Rufus ruined Fripp

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It seems to be typical of the general concertgoing public. And the talking throughout a concert -- last year I saw Steely Dan, and the couple sitting behind us kept talking throughout the whole show. Why even bother going to a concert if you're not going to pay attention to the music being played?
    I've been saying that for 15 years now. If you really need to talk, why don't go down to the local pub?! You can divert all that money you would otherwise spend on a ticket, to getting splashed.

It's pretty fucking simple.

If you don't respect an artist don't fucking go to their concerts.

Why should artists perform in front of people who actively disrespect them?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Exactly. It's not Fripp "ruining the show," it's the rude, inconsiderate, entitled assholes ruining it.

As for "today's realities," why should Fripp/Crimson/anybody else conform to anybody's expectations? Isn't that kinda what progressive rock
    LOL "I am not an asshole! I'm PROG!"

It's just a reality that today people are going to be rolling video at some point during the show. The performers need to deal with it and move on.

It used to be considered rude for people to take cell calls in the presence of others unless it was really important. Now it's not. Customs change. I realize that Fripp being old enough to pre-date phones in general probably contributes to his out-of-touch expectations of modern audiences and their technology, but it's not something that is going to change. KC plays venues large enough where there will always be some people who are going to turn the cameras on, and with each passing year, will be more and more. Nothing Fripp rants about will change this. Rightly or wrongly, that's just the way it's going to be and if he really hates it that much, then he should retire from live performance. Certainly, the solution of petulantly storming off the stage and punishing the 95% of the people who are not doing anything against his wishes is a remedy grossly out of proportion to the offense (which didn't actually cause him any harm in the least).

When did it become a "custom" to ignore polite requests and act like you are the only person in the world that matters? There's a difference between a custom and rude behaviour.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Sad that we still have assholes that disrespect and make the experience bad for everyone. I embrace the KC photo policy 100%. I've always been attentive to the musicians and the music they are performing. I can't stand people constantly talking, yelling, blocking people's views with cell phones and texting during a concert. Leave the screams and whistles for the songs after they end. I mean why did these people come to a live show in the first place? At the last Porcupine Tree show here in 2010, my friend and I observed an idiot in the row in front of us that spent the entire concert with his head down texting. Why did he even come to the show? Human race...Ugh!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.