Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: * Black Star Bowie *

Also reminds me of earlier Scott Walker, circa Tilt or Climate of Hunter. And I believe Bowie's a big fan of Scott as well as of Hamill/VDGG - you can certainly hear a similarity in his delivery. In a way, Scott is what Bowie might have been if he had really disliked being a pop star, and ran away from that even as he stayed with music.

Very "Scott Walkerish"
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Just saw it. It's a "grower." Not sure I'm interested in buying the album but I've been meaning to start a Bowie collection for years. All I have is a "Best Of Bowie" CD. David's one of those artists that I'm not sure if I really wanna get into heavily or just be satisfied with a compilation. I think if I buy some proper David Bowie albums I'll get everything from Space Oddity through the Ziggy era. Gotta admit I really like the songs "Let's Dance" and "Fame."

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just saw it. It's a "grower." Not sure I'm interested in buying the album but I've been meaning to start a Bowie collection for years. All I have is a "Best Of Bowie" CD. David's one of those artists that I'm not sure if I really wanna get into heavily or just be satisfied with a compilation. I think if I buy some proper David Bowie albums I'll get everything from Space Oddity through the Ziggy era. Gotta admit I really like the songs "Let's Dance" and "Fame."
    I have them all and return to his discography on a regulag basis. He covers so many styles and moods it's really quite remarkable. Space Oddity thru Ziggy is certainly a great place to start. I say go for it!

Jon

As I wrote on another post, I quit following David Bowie's works in the early 80s, but this brand new song of his is fucking amazing. Full of space prog elements, with a hint of early Scott Walker as Baribrotzer commented. If only the forthcoming album is on an equal level...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I checked it out, first impression was at least it was more tuneful than 'Sue' was which was a bit of a directionless noodle IMHO. Am more optimistic about the new album now.

Bowie has never hidden the fact Scott Walker influenced him. He covered 'Nite Flights' 20 odd years ago, and has done other songs influenced by Walker in his later output- 'The Motel', 'Heat' etc. I'd say 'The Electrician' from that same album Nite Flights is key here- Brian Eno has said in many interviews that he and Bowie heard Walker's songs on that when it came out and were blown away.

Bowie was involved with the 30th Century Man documentary on Walker (which I didn't really care for much, but hey), also appearing in it.

Still alive and well...

Brilliant song. Strange video, but that is what one comes to expect from the chameleon that is Mr. Bowie. I hear a lot of jazz elements in this song. The drums at the beginning of the song sounds like it comes right off an Ornette Coleman CD called Virgin Beauty (referring to the recorded sound and style of the drums). If this is representative of what the new CD will be, then this will set the bar rather high for 2016.

Mr. Bowie has always been an artist I check out. I am not a fan of all of his styles, but the thing about Mr. Bowie is he is forever changing, forever evolving (if you will) and for ever (dare I say it) progressing. So if you do not like one incarnation of Mr. Bowie, just wait until the next one. He's never been comfortable in his own skin, or with being slotted into a specific genre or style. He is a chameleon, and one very progressive musician.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    As I wrote on another post, I quit following David Bowie's works in the early 80s.
    You've missed a few good ones, then. Heathen is a very good album, and "Bring Me the Disco King" from the follow-up, Reality, is probably a top five Bowie tune for me.

You've missed a fair bit of dross, too, but nothing that's absolutely awful.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^Don't forget Outside and Earthling as well.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Banned
    Some other worldly stuff here. Major Tom is fried🌀

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Some other worldly stuff here. Major Tom is fried��
    Firth,
    It's weird as hell this new track, I love it, think it's brilliant, I really do, just shocked still really, speechless not quite sure what to make of that. It's less weird tho', if you listen and don't watch the video

Banned

* Black Star Bowie

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    Firth,
    It's weird as hell this new track, I love it, think it's brilliant, I really do, just shocked still really, speechless not quite sure what to make of that. It's less weird tho', if you listen and don't watch the video
    Just to be clear, it's good weird and the acoustical environment created, sounded great on my main stereo. Loving my new Apple TV, surf the web on my IPhone, Airplay the audio/video to the main TV and large system.
    Last edited by Firth; 11-21-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Bowie has always made strange videos. IMHO his 1979-80 ones are the greatest ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    Firth,
    Dissecting the lyrics was a little disturbing. ormens story was about refusal of converting to christianity, resulting in a torturous death... The mirror being the opposite... Becoming a serpent longship of some sort. Day of execution the women kneel and smile (I assume the men all killed and women slaved) quakers or four square church and others do the jiggy dance... Possessed by spirits. bowie psychically leading the proceedings from the triangular shaped attic.... Jesus as a straw man... Replaced by satan after he rose a meter. Satanists turning christianity upside down...The black book... The bible, the star, pieces of the star.. saturnalla, kabbala. And of course the blackstar, the suns opposite... Lucifer... Niburu...Whatever. Either its mumbo jumbo or there is purpose to this... Who knows.... Scary stuff.

Iam or I am is God or His God or he is god... Dunno.

Jeweled skulls . Little bit of mystery and prolly not a good headspace to be in.

Thats all I got but I'm sure there is more to it symbolically. Rabbit hole, proceed with caution... Bowie is no stranger to occult stuff. After all he's the man who sold the world
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 11-21-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Interesting song. The video is... bizarre, but also interesting.

It's funny where the inspiration for the jerky dancing came from actually. I read an interview with the director and he said Bowie got it from old Popeye cartoons (or cartoons from that era), the way that the characters were animated back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Some other worldly stuff here. Major Tom is fried🌀
    Yep. What a weird video. So they find this alien astronaut and make some weird cult around it. Bizarre. I think I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I say go for it!

Jon
    I will, but first I need to buy an Anthrax album.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Interesting song. The video is... bizarre, but also interesting.

It's funny where the inspiration for the jerky dancing came from actually. I read an interview with the director and he said Bowie got it from old Popeye cartoons (or cartoons from that era), the way that the characters were animated back then.
    I dont believe the director for a second. Or maybe Popeye got it from those churches too?
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I dont believe the director for a second. Or maybe Popeye got it from those churches too?
    Believe whatever you want. Seems you already have your mind made up about it anyway.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Did not mean to offend...It does look like those old Popeye cartoons a bit. And I'm sure he said that... The video just seems like pretty dark stuff to me. Maybe its a spoof on the occult?
    Still alive and well...

This just blows me away. Brilliant.

I couldn't say for sure what Bowie's intended meaning is, but on one watch/listen, it seemed to me it was the third part of a trilogy: A Space Oddity, Ashes To Ashes, Black Star.

Even if I'm way off base, I still love it. It kept me riveted for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Did not mean to offend...It does look like those old Popeye cartoons a bit. And I'm sure he said that... The video just seems like pretty dark stuff to me. Maybe its a spoof on the occult?
    My response was more heated than the situation called for. I'm sorry.

The video is definitely dark, you're right. I'm not sure what it's meaning is, or how much of it is just weirdness for sake of being weird -- or how much it has to do with the song itself. Thought provoking at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    This just blows me away. Brilliant.

I couldn't say for sure what Bowie's intended meaning is, but on one watch/listen, it seemed to me it was the third part of a trilogy: A Space Oddity, Ashes To Ashes, Black Star.

Even if I'm way off base, I still love it. It kept me riveted for 10 minutes.
    I like the idea of it being connected to Major Tom.