Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Alan Parsons is Prog? Surely you jest?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I remember in the mid 70s the terms Acid Rock and Head Music were applied to Floyd and APP

the term Symphonic Rock goes back to the late 60s
    Hmmm...where I come from, the term "acid rock" referred to psychedelic bands that veered toward heavier, louder material. Certainly not Floyd or APP, who were fairly easy going sound-wise, but more like Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Vanilla Fudge and Blue Cheer in the 60s and early Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath in the 70s. But I suppose rock terms are much like Newton's Third Law, where every definition has an equal and opposite definition.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Prog brought more structure, in a classical music sense, and the imagery portrayed through sound and technology was of much higher resolution and fidelity. Not just in an audiophile sense, but the mental vision. Rock wasn't the first form of music, to attempt this, classical music was the first.
    I agree with your point about prog, as it has a stronger focus on the composition too. Other sense in favor of the prog uniqueness is its a bit recurrent descriptive form of music that pretty well suggests that visual soundscapes or mental vision you refer to, which is better suggested than by Classical music imo, since I don't consider it as descriptive as prog.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 12-12-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    No, "Psychedelic Rock" was Rock music that was believed to have been inspired by the use of LSD, Mescaline or Psilocybin. That it isn't always apparent by how the music sounds makes the classification of music as "Psychedelic" as problematic as classifying some music as "Progressive Rock," where people can't agree on a definition of it.
    No that's your obsession with drugs which is the same as the media. I listened to psychedelic done without ever having done drugs of that nature.

OK, time to bring this thread back to reality. Is, or is not, Try Anything Once one of the most brilliant post-prog albums that you have ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Make. It. Stop.
    Word!

Banned
    "Progressive Music" was a term that was used, but not as a name for a genre. It was merely a loose descriptor. (...)
    Of course it was a name of a genre. Progressive music was / is a genre of Popular music, although Prog(ressive music) often reached surprisingly artistic heights - actually very similar to jazz because, although musically different than prog, jazz is also a genre of Popular music, even born as a music for dance, but also reached the artistic heights. And as I said earlier, there were the acts that couldn't have been tagged 'progressive rock' due to the fact that they were released a bunch of great and pretty timeless progressive music albums that no contain the rock beats at all, or contain just a little but not enough to be labeled as (progressive) rock. I already mentioned that acoustic fusion band Oregon, of course way before the term "world" was invented, and Tangerine Dream as the band of progressive 'Berlin School' of electronic music, but you have also the first four (the best) albums by Mike Oldfield, 70s Vangelis' albums, 70s Brian Eno's ambient albums, 70s Egberto Gismonti's albums , 70s Eberhard Webber's albums for ECM as for example (just don't call this "jazz", please):

There are many examples of 70s prog(ressive music) which contain no rock beats.

Last edited by Svetonio; 12-13-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Of course it was a name of a genre. Progressive music was / is a genre of Popular music, although Prog(ressive music) often reached surprisingly artistic heights.
    hmm... "genre", no
    a compositional/stylistic approach to music, true
    in regard to Rock music, the first artists to take Rock music to a higher level came with the late 60s Jazz, suburban and ethnic urban artists
    that first wave of Progressive Rock music ended by the late 70s
    but at that time there was another wave of Jazz, suburban and ethnic urban artists doing different progressive things using Rock music elements albeit not as promoted by the music industry as the first wave.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    hmm... "genre", no
    a compositional/stylistic approach to music, true
    (...)
    It seems that we are talking about the same thing:

Genre (/ˈʒɒ̃rə/, /ˈʒɒnrə/ or /ˈdʒɒnrə/; from French genre [ʒɑ̃ʁ(ə)], "kind" or "sort", from Latin genus (stem gener-), Greek γένος, génos) is any category of literature, music or other forms of art or entertainment, whether written or spoken, audio or visual, based on some set of stylistic criteria.(...)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genre

Suspended
    I think most would agree that the Alan Parsons Project was progressive, at least some some of the time. That, as far as I am concerned, settles the question.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I think most would agree that the Alan Parsons Project was progressive, at least some some of the time. That, as far as I am concerned, settles the question.
    +1
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    OK, time to bring this thread back to reality. Is, or is not, Try Anything Once one of the most brilliant post-prog albums that you have ever heard?
    Not sure about the classification, it is a brilliant rock album[emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    No that's your obsession with drugs which is the same as the media. I listened to psychedelic done without ever having done drugs of that nature.
    But it's template was music made by others who were. The origination of the style is rooted in hallucinogenic drug use. The very name is a word that didn't exist until it was invented to describe that drug experience. Can artists make Psychedelic Rock without doing Psychedelic drugs? Certainly. But they are working in a style created by musicians who did.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Of course it was a name of a genre. Progressive music was / is a genre of Popular music, although Prog(ressive music) often reached surprisingly artistic heights - actually very similar to jazz because, although musically different than prog, jazz is also a genre of Popular music, even born as a music for dance, but also reached the artistic heights. And as I said earlier, there were the acts that couldn't have been tagged 'progressive rock' due to the fact that they were released a bunch of great and pretty timeless progressive music albums that no contain the rock beats at all, or contain just a little but not enough to be labeled as (progressive) rock. I already mentioned that acoustic fusion band Oregon, of course way before the term "world" was invented, and Tangerine Dream as the band of progressive 'Berlin School' of electronic music, but you have also the first four (the best) albums by Mike Oldfield, 70s Vangelis' albums, 70s Brian Eno's ambient albums, 70s Egberto Gismonti's albums , 70s Eberhard Webber's albums for ECM as for example (just don't call this "jazz", please):
    No it's not. The Meta Genres are genres like Rock, Jazz, Folk, Classical, Country, etc etc and they are refined down from those Meta points. That it was "music" was a given. To call "Progressive Music" a genre is to elevate it to the level of a Meta Genre, such as "Rock Music," "Jazz Music," etc. "Progressive" is a sub-genre tag.
    If you can upload a scan from a 70s music paper, in which the author uses "Progressive Music" in a genre sense, stating something like "the new album from Progressive Music artists The Barking Spiders is set to be released on June 23" I'll happily concede that at least somebody used the term in that fashion in the 70s, but until then, we'll agree to disagree. The examples you give are overlay added retroactively.

Banned
    But it's template was music made by others who were. The origination of the style is rooted in hallucinogenic drug use. The very name is a word that didn't exist until it was invented to describe that drug experience. Can artists make Psychedelic Rock without doing Psychedelic drugs? Certainly. But they are working in a style created by musicians who did.
    I don't care why psychedelic rock exists. That's not relevant to the psychedelic versus prog discussion.

if "progressive music" is a genre, its name is Avant Garde
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    No it's not. The Meta Genres are genres like Rock (...)
    Yes it is. Btw, you have 'Rock' as a genre of Popular music (as opposite to Classical Music) and e.g. "rock'n'roll' and (or) "hard rock" are the sub-genres of rock music in general, but you also have "Rock" as a sub-genre of rock music in general - e.g. the bands like The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience or Bruce Springsteen & E-Street Band. So you have "Pop" with all of its sub-genres, as a subgenre of Popular music in general; that's when an abbreviation gets its special meaning.

Progressive music is a genre of Popular music, or, if you like it better, Prog(ressive music) is a sub-genre of Popular music.

One of the best prog festivals in continental Europe in the seventies was the Boom Festival in former Yugoslavia, which held almost every year in the seventies, and the Festival was billed as "progressive music festival". We didn't invented that term, it was imported.

Please find some Serb, Croat or Bosniak to translate for you what she said when opening the Boom Festival 1976 - if you don't trust me, because she says literally, "the sixth festival of the progressive music is open". Indeed, not only progressive rock bands were playing, but also progressive folk and progressive fusion bands...

And as I already said, there are the great prog acts who were released some great progressive albums with just a little or without any rock beats and that's why the term progressive music existed, and, as I have just demonstrated, it was widely used back in the day.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-14-2015 at 08:12 AM.

We can have an endless back and forth, which the mods seem to hate, so I'm not going to do it. I don't think you've made a convincing case at all, so as I said earlier, we'll agree to disagree. Progressive Folk, Progressive Jazz-Rock, etc are sub-genres of Folk, Jazz, etc. Progressive is the modifier appended to the larger genre name. It is not a meta genre of it's own. The way the progressive music is being used in the example you posted is as a descriptor to tie together thematically disparately styled groups. It is not intended to be a statement on musicology, and, like your catalog dealers example, it's in an environment where economic activity is the main focus. And on that final note, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Btw, I've never even heard of the Alan Parsons Band but something tells me that I'm not missing anything.
    Acyually you haven't... I think AP changed the name from APP to APB when singer/composer Eric Woolfson and him came to part on some bitter issues about credits and composition attributions... But by that time anyone that cared for the first three albums didn't give a hoot at all.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just heard "irobot" as the background music on NPR. They only played about six seconds of it but it was cool to hear on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    No, why should I. Live is to short to spend a lot of time to think about what kind of music something is. Either I like it, or I don't and that's all that matters.
    So true... especially when talking about Alan Parsons, he always had especial ability to bring to life indeed catchy melodies, particularly his more pop stuff had me keen on ever since APP released them, never really cared if less rock than pop