Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Jethro Tull still worth seeing?

Knopfler damn spell check

It's actually been 31 years since he ruined his voice on the Under Wraps tour. In fact, on Sunday it will be 31 years to the day since his meltdown at the L.A. Universal Amphitheatre show that brought the U.S. tour to a sorry end.

Saw him during the "Little Light Music" tour which was 93 or 94 if I remember and he was in fine voice. First time I had see Tull in a smaller venue (2000 seats) and they did not disappoint. Nowadays I'd spend my money on a good Broadway show and play Tull on my system and be happy all the way around.

You could find a hell of a lot worse things to spend your money on. Go and enjoy Ian while he's still alive and performing.

Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    Knopfler damn spell check
    Anderson's need for a softer vocal style in no way detracts from his deep respect of Mark Knopfler as a songwriter, and Martin Barre was equally impressed with MK's abilities to play guitar. Hence: Some of the finer moments from Crest Of a Knave! The second finer moments are the two channeling some ZZ Top!

Vocal problems aside, the music is good and he has a helper on vocals now.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Ian's voice is shot but as Wilcox points out, that ain't news. Still enjoyed the band last time I saw them in Boston when Procol Harum opened, but that band no longer exists.

Old Jethro Tull songs, sang by young lady, who mimes on the screen, sound very far from their original spirit. Yes, an emergency exit for Ian Anderson, to hire two singers, but I caught strong degree of nostalgia on his 'Rock Opera" show.

Was a little surprised at seeing usual bassist David Goodier doing some backing vocals when he doesn't get a mic when playing, not sure why he missed this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    JT is playing in my area in a few months. It is a small theatre and I would have to get tickets soon if I want a good seat. I have read that Anderson is on his last leg, and not worth seeing anymore. Is this true? Has anyone seen them lately?
    Saw Ian last year.. I thought it was a wonderful show.. plenty of people thought otherwise.. go figure.. having never seen Tull in their heyday (not that he wasn't touring in my area.. I just missed each time he came thru).. I was satisfied with the band he had with him.. Only downside for me was he played a bunch from his recent solo album (not exactly how it was billed..) but his renditions of Tull classics were fine.. People commented on how he had lost something with his voice.. I thought he sounded fine..

If Magma had people on a screen behind them going "Baa baa fo fa la fo bo la toe" 9/10ths of the folks on this board would declare it brilliant.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Not impressed with the current tour. Both singers are very good. That's the good news. They are both virtual singers. That's the bad news. I didn't pay $89.50 to watch a movie. Sorry, Ian, don't like your idea on this one. They should both be standing on stage. Spend your concert dollars more wisely. Go see a Steve Hackett show. Excellent!
    Virtual singers?? That's a new one, and I am definitely passing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It's actually been 31 years since he ruined his voice on the Under Wraps tour. In fact, on Sunday it will be 31 years to the day since his meltdown at the L.A. Universal Amphitheatre show that brought the U.S. tour to a sorry end.
    Can you share some details about this? I have never heard of it.

I also really enjoyed the current show.

Can you share some details about this? I have never heard of it.
    The last date of the 1984 U.S. tour was supposed to be at the Universal Amphitheater on November 23. When that one sold out, they added another show on the 22nd. At the show on the 22nd Ian's voice was in tatters and he was in a foul mood. He started haranguing the audience about smoking their "fucking marijuana" and threatened to end the show if they kept it up. "And if you don't believe me...try me!" I wasn't there, but I heard an audience tape of the show years ago. Ian seemed to leave the stage frequently, while the band carried on instrumentally. It was a mess. The next night's show (the originally scheduled one) was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I also really enjoyed the current show.
    I have no clue how many times I've seen Tull/Anderson, most probably every year since 1970, I saw the show 2 weeks ago and also enjoyed it. The less Ian sings the better, and I'd say he sang only about half the vocals in the show this time around. The musicianship is fine, the videoboard give you something to look at other than 5 ugly guys, even my wife enjoyed this year's go-round.

^

Well said!

I have read that Anderson is on his last leg, and not worth seeing anymore. Is this true?
    Yes, with everything J.T/Ian Anderson concerned, it's better to keep living in the past.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Suspended
    Ian Anderson's voice always sounded an old voice to me, even when he was quite young. He has never sounded younger than about 45. It seems an affectation adopted by many British male singers in the folk tradition. Whatever the reason for it, it's a vocal style that's less dependent on vocal purity than, say, the style of that other well known Anderson.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 12-01-2015 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Ian Anderson's voice always sounded an old voice to me, even when he was quite young. He has never sounded younger tha n about 45. It seems an affectation adopted by many British male singers in the folk tradition. Whatever the reason for it, it's a vocal style that's less dependent on vocal purity than, say, the style of that other well known Anderson.
    I agree with this. Anderson's always phrased really well. He still does.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I gave up 24 years ago on the Catfish Rising tour......

When the performance started I thought "Awww, poor chap is suffering from a cold, what a trouper for going on anyway", but after three or four songs Anderson turned to the audience to talk to them and sounded fine. As the show continued it became all too painfully obvious that the guy just couldn't deliver any more.

He just about got away with it on subsequent studio releases, but by Homo Erraticus the game was up - even with studio trickery his voice simply can't hold up.

I'm surprised how many fans kept on turning up to see the band and turning a blind eye to the obvious, even with such damning evidence as the Youtube clip from a Dutch gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOCeNxOaCd4

I appreciate he's still an artist with some creative mileage in him, but as a singer.....nah! He really should have a word with himself and check his ego in to lost luggage.

Listening to a show right now from Manchester 1977.. Ian comments on how his voice is going and not sure what the crowd in Liverpool the next night will get from him.. Throat issues go back a ways for him.. didn't realize this.. Oh and this show is incredible..

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I'm surprised how many fans kept on turning up to see the band and turning a blind eye to the obvious, even with such damning evidence as the Youtube clip from a Dutch gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOCeNxOaCd4
    Why. WHY. WHY DID I WATCH THAT?!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Anderson has just been announced at a performance hall about 45 minutes from me in April. I am debating it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    If Magma had people on a screen behind them going "Baa baa fo fa la fo bo la toe" 9/10ths of the folks on this board would declare it brilliant.
    No we wouldn't.