Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW Ozric Tentacles

NEW Ozric Tentacles

from the new album of new material. I Dig it. Can't wait to get it.

I love the Ozrics, but sad to say i've reached the point where i just don't get that interested in any of their new releases, they just don't seem to be treading any new ground. When i'm in the mood i've been turning to Quantum Fantay (i'm still wowed from their Progday performance) or Hidria Spacefolk - they seem to shake things up a bit more. That last Gong album hits all the right buttons too.

I was excited, initially, because I haven't given the Ozrics much through in recent times.

If I may ask, why is this in the OT forum?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    If I may ask, why is this in the OT forum?
    Due to me spending most of my time here. an oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I love the Ozrics, but sad to say i've reached the point where i just don't get that interested in any of their new releases, they just don't seem to be treading any new ground.
    Are you kidding, I think I heard a new note they have never played before.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One sound went blorp instead of blurp.

Jon Neudorf
    Still a cool tune. Thanks for posting.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I love the Ozrics, but sad to say i've reached the point where i just don't get that interested in any of their new releases, they just don't seem to be treading any new ground. When i'm in the mood i've been turning to Quantum Fantay (i'm still wowed from their Progday performance) or Hidria Spacefolk - they seem to shake things up a bit more. That last Gong album hits all the right buttons too.
    Same for me. Without even listening to their latest effort I already know the music on it. The same formula repeated ad nauseam, too predictable and artistically stagnant. I already have 4 or 5 O.T albums (which I like) but don't think I need more of the same. And I agree about the last (yes, LAST unfortunately !) GONG album which is fantastic.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-23-2015 at 04:33 PM.

They should to let in one or two more 'composers' to complicate things.
    Ed Wynne needs someone to argue with.

This problem has happened to many great bands.

Technicians of the Space is enjoyable (if you haven't listen to many of theirs) but very predictable. They need to become a real band again (instead of a familly affair) if they want to have a future, as zeuhlmate aptly mentioned.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Excellent album. I think their last few albums have only seen them get musically stronger (doing more of a space/techno thing-- and oh, it's happy, groovable, infectious music that sounds superb on good headphones).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    They should to let in one or two more 'composers' to complicate things.
    Ed Wynne needs someone to argue with.

This problem has happened to many great bands.
    Exactly!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Excellent album. I think their last few albums have only seen them get musically stronger (doing more of a space/techno thing-- and oh, it's happy, groovable, infectious music that sounds superb on good headphones).
    +1
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Technicians of the Sacred was my first Ozric Tentacles album, and I liked it so much I bought it on vinyl. I had heard a few scattered tracks about 10 years ago or so, but they didn't do much for me. This stuff though... It's quite nice.

I can see where they might get a bit samey, and I probably don't need all of their records, but I could certainly use a few at least.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'm partial to Erpland and Waterfall Cities.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Love everything from Tantric Obstacles through Become the Other. I don't love Curious Corn, but love Waterfall Cities and Hidden Step. Hit or miss after that for me. Strangeitude, Waterfall Cities, Jurassic Shift, Hidden Step, and Arborescence are my favorites, but really all of their albums have some good tracks. And the guitar playing is always exciting and perfect for the music.

I think that the series of albums, up and including Curious Corn, are their best and most challenging works. From then on I've really struggled to get anything out of the albums that followed. With the exception of Spirals In Hyperspace that was a return to some form, the rest have been no more than a set of average "deja vu" albums. Underwhelming stuff, many times lazy, with no memorable themes or development. Sadly, they leave me cold and don't think there's any going back.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

And again

"Ozric Tentacles have announced they will release a brand new single, Humboldt Currant, this Saturday, to celebrate the Summer Solstice. The band have also announced they will release their first new album for five years, Space For Earth later this year."

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ozr...-this-saturday

Banned
    Sweet

Yay!

I only have Arborescence and a few stray tracks from other albums. I can only handle them in small doses when the mood strikes.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Cool but missing the great guitar and occasional flute that I love in OT. I also have plenty of their albums to listen to already.
    Chad

...back when XM had The Music Lab channel, they played the band a fair bit. But nothing by them ever really stuck to me. How do you folks...categorize or describe the band?

What do you all think is the best album to start with??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    ...back when XM had The Music Lab channel, they played the band a fair bit. But nothing by them ever really stuck to me. How do you folks...categorize or describe the band?

What do you all think is the best album to start with??
    I loved OzT on XM. I describe them as psychedelic techno Prog. They have Jam flavor too which is why they had fit into CM Music Lab. Their live shows at ProgDay were fun. They were popular with the Jam crowd and played venues around Maryland. I never decided what album to buy, but I want to now.