Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72

Thread: NEW Ozric Tentacles

  1. #51
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Yep pretty sure that's old info. They did split up and Ed moved back to the UK, now living in Scotland so I'm not sure who's part of the band anymore. Will have to wait and see. I think his last solo album was probably meant to be an Ozric album but the name was in dispute with the divorce stuff. Presumably now that's all been worked out.
    So they did split up? If so I assume she did not relocate with him, which means anything going forward will be done via virtual collaborations. I know Silas is their kid, so he could be in either place. But the drummer was based in the states as I recall.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    704
    Wiki and other sources list her as still in the band, but I just checked Discogs and they have her name crossed out. The only remaining members as of the latest single release of "Humboldt Currant" according to Discogs are Ed Wynne, Balázs Szende and Silas Wynne.

  3. #53
    Ed and Brandi definitely split up. Ed has a new gf. Also, don't think Silas is Brandi's kid.

    I love most of everything from Pungent Effulgent through Hidden Step. Also, Tantric Obstacles from the 80s cassette era is pretty strong and a standout to me.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    So they did split up? If so I assume she did not relocate with him, which means anything going forward will be done via virtual collaborations. I know Silas is their kid, so he could be in either place. But the drummer was based in the states as I recall.
    No Brandi is not Silas' mom. Too young for that.

  5. #55
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,112
    If you can't get enough check out the Ozric Family (ex and current members) bands like:

    Nodens Ictus, Dream Machine, Silas Neptune, ZubZub, Eat Static (and some I forgot about)

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    700
    I like the classics, like most people...Erpland especially. However, I also really like the newer release The Floor is too Far Away. Great stuff.

    neil

  7. #57
    I believe that currently in the band is Ed and Ed and more Ed... And probably Silas on some bleeps...

    Their last output since their relocation was pretty underwhelming. Being among the ones that followed them since their early cassette days, I have no high hopes for their new album. The spark of the old festival days (integral part of their sound) is long, long dead and buried...
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I believe that currently in the band is Ed and Ed and more Ed... And probably Silas on some bleeps...

    Their last output since their relocation was pretty underwhelming. Being among the ones that followed them since their early cassette days, I have no high hopes for their new album. The spark of the old festival days (integral part of their sound) is long, long dead and buried...
    But, did you watch and listen to the "Humboldt Currant" video in post #48 above? If that's the new Ed, Ed and more Ed - it sounds pretty promising to me. Somewhat like an electronic, spacey jungle thing (that piques my interest).

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    But, did you watch and listen to the "Humboldt Currant" video in post #48 above? If that's the new Ed, Ed and more Ed - it sounds pretty promising to me. Somewhat like an electronic, spacey jungle thing (that piques my interest).
    I can perfectly understand your point of view and it is a pleasant piece, that stylistically could have its place in an album like Become the Other f.e. However, it leaves me cold without the scene/commumity concept behind the whole thing. Because, stylistically they overplayed it all these years. It is like AC-DC or Motorhead; you know exactly what to expect and they don't surprise at all. Their problem is that it is progressive/spacerock what they're after and not a three riff headbanging affair. They should have called it quits during the mid 00s in my opinion.
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  10. #60
    Member Ozricale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I can perfectly understand your point of view and it is a pleasant piece, that stylistically could have its place in an album like Become the Other f.e. However, it leaves me cold without the scene/commumity concept behind the whole thing. Because, stylistically they overplayed it all these years. It is like AC-DC or Motorhead; you know exactly what to expect and they don't surprise at all. Their problem is that it is progressive/spacerock what they're after and not a three riff headbanging affair. They should have called it quits during the mid 00s in my opinion.
    Ridiculous. I completely disagree. The last few albums have been excellent.

  11. #61
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozricale View Post
    Ridiculous. I completely disagree. The last few albums have been excellent.
    To paraphrase Dr. Strangelove...

    Disagreements? Gentlemen, don't you know this is a prog forum?!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  12. #62
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    7,110
    I remember a blurb in Ken Golden's catalog back in the mid or late 90s, which to paraphrase, said something like the Ozrics keep making the same album over and over again. He was right, and I think Spyros was making the same point.

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I can perfectly understand your point of view and it is a pleasant piece, that stylistically could have its place in an album like Become the Other f.e. However, it leaves me cold without the scene/commumity concept behind the whole thing. Because, stylistically they overplayed it all these years. It is like AC-DC or Motorhead; you know exactly what to expect and they don't surprise at all. Their problem is that it is progressive/spacerock what they're after and not a three riff headbanging affair. They should have called it quits during the mid 00s in my opinion.
    I'm sorry you feel that way about their later music. Technicians of the Sacred was actually my gateway into the Ozrics' music, and I love that one. The incorporation of world music elements, and sometimes even bits that come close to jazz fusion, is something that I enjoy.

    Since then, I've gone back and collected Erpland, The Floor's Too Far Away, and some others from different time periods. There's not a whole lot of diversity to their sound and I can understand why that might get old for certain folks, but for some people (myself included) that's okay. When I pick up an Ozric Tentacles album, I generally know what I'm going to get -- and that's why I go for it.

    Spirals in Hyperspace might be my overall favorite though. Still need to check out Waterfall Cities, after seeing battema's recommendation.

  14. #64
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I remember a blurb in Ken Golden's catalog back in the mid or late 90s, which to paraphrase, said something like the Ozrics keep making the same album over and over again. He was right, and I think Spyros was making the same point.
    He may have been quoting Steven Wilson, who said that in his Progression interview back then. Rather, his wording was "[the Ozrics] have one composition."

    Which I thought was really harsh.

  15. #65
    Ed has a newer solo release that's very good.
    And Silas is now working with a woman under the name Silas & Saski. They did a Facebook Live over the weekend that I enjoyed.

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    He may have been quoting Steven Wilson, who said that in his Progression interview back then. Rather, his wording was "[the Ozrics] have one composition."

    Which I thought was really harsh.
    I'm with the pro-Ozric group on this one, in that I don't think that they make or compose the same (or one) music over and over again. The difference between 1989's "Pungent Effulgent" and 1997's "Curious Corn" is heard in a marked change in texture, more smooth and flowing and less raw. New players were added who had completely different approaches in their playing, including Zia Geelani (Bass), Rad (Conrad Prince) on drums and Seaweed on synth. The cut "Afroclonk" on Curious Corn is considered one of their best songs ever, it's hard to argue with that assessment. From what I can discern, their works over the past decade have found them in much more of an electronic groove which, from what I have been able to hear and read in reviews, is a real positive in the evolution of their sound.

    I think that listeners who aren't that attuned to their music tend to think that it all sounds like a rehash of what they did before. However, if you fall for their stuff at first listen like I did, you can hear something new in every release and marvel at their ability to pull it off over such an extended time frame.

  17. #67
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I think that listeners who aren't that attuned to their music tend to think that it all sounds like a rehash of what they did before. However, if you fall for their stuff at first listen like I did, you can hear something new in every release and marvel at their ability to pull it off over such an extended time frame.
    Affirmative. Just pop in one of the live albums, like Underslunky or Sunrise Festival, and you can hear the difference between live and studio. So much energy.

  18. #68
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    7,110
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    He may have been quoting Steven Wilson, who said that in his Progression interview back then. Rather, his wording was "[the Ozrics] have one composition."
    That's not the way I remember it. I recall it as Ken giving his own opinion, but he's on PE and if he feels like chiming in, he can.

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    There's not a whole lot of diversity to their sound and I can understand why that might get old for certain folks, but for some people (myself included) that's okay. When I pick up an Ozric Tentacles album, I generally know what I'm going to get -- and that's why I go for it.
    Let's say that for 5-6 albums this approach is acceptable. But for over 20 (including the cassettes) and going on for 36 years, it's too much demanding my interest...


    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Spirals in Hyperspace might be my overall favorite though. Still need to check out Waterfall Cities, after seeing battema's recommendation.
    I acknowledge that it was a surprisingly good album and slightly different from what we used to get on the annual diet from them. By being more nervous and embracing the harsher part of EDM (that was predominant in its time), it offered something fresh. But the band is off on that album and I personally consider it rather as an Ed Wynne solo affair than a proper Ozric's album (only "Oakum" was a whole band thing, if I remember well). That album has been my personal exit point, because I sensed the end of all things Ozricy there and to my ears what followed was more a shadow of the past than a step forward. Pleasantly wallpaper-ish to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Let's say that for 5-6 albums this approach is acceptable. But for over 20 (including the cassettes) and going on for 36 years, it's too much demanding my interest...
    Well I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not going to twist your arm and make you listen to them.

  21. #71
    Member Ozricale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I'm with the pro-Ozric group on this one, in that I don't think that they make or compose the same (or one) music over and over again. The difference between 1989's "Pungent Effulgent" and 1997's "Curious Corn" is heard in a marked change in texture, more smooth and flowing and less raw. New players were added who had completely different approaches in their playing, including Zia Geelani (Bass), Rad (Conrad Prince) on drums and Seaweed on synth. The cut "Afroclonk" on Curious Corn is considered one of their best songs ever, it's hard to argue with that assessment. From what I can discern, their works over the past decade have found them in much more of an electronic groove which, from what I have been able to hear and read in reviews, is a real positive in the evolution of their sound.

    I think that listeners who aren't that attuned to their music tend to think that it all sounds like a rehash of what they did before. However, if you fall for their stuff at first listen like I did, you can hear something new in every release and marvel at their ability to pull it off over such an extended time frame.
    Well said. Their sound has evolved, but it requires active listening to discern. Ed'd recent solo album is very similar to OT but incorporates some subtle colors and textures that are new too.

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozricale View Post
    Well said. Their sound has evolved, but it requires active listening to discern. Ed'd recent solo album is very similar to OT but incorporates some subtle colors and textures that are new too.
    I will need to pick up Ed's solo release; thanks for the reference point

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •