Thread: Ange - Caricatures

Ange - Caricatures

The first two Ange albums are my faves of theirs. I already planned on making a thread about the second album Le cimetiere des arlequins(my #1) but it has the word 'cemetary' in the title, sooooo we'll go with this one instead. Anyone else who prefers the early stuff to the later stuff?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Love it! Here's a thread you may enjoy.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ge-Caricatures
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ha! I probably already read that one. As I said I originally wanted to go with the second album.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Their latest three or four records are actually *VERY* solid as well, while not at all any "retro" or nostalgia trips.

My faves are still Caricatures, Au-Dela du Delire and Guet Apens.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The first two albums have a very special charm imho. The lyrics are weird, the sound quality is rather poor, the keyboard sound is really unique. That gives these albums an archaic, nightmarish quality. Caricatures in particular seems to come from another dimension - a surrealistic world in which your strangest dreams take shape. The third one, Au-Delà du Délire, feels more mature and lyrically focused. My favorite is Emile Jacotey, which is probably the most refined and polished album they made in the 70s, and I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea for this reason. Guet Apens brought back some of the nightmarish atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Anyone else who prefers the early stuff to the later stuff?
    Yes. Le cimetiere des arlequins; Au-Dela du Delire; Caricatures, in that order of preference. Some of my favorite keys sounds.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'd reccommend every CD since 2000 as well as the early stuff. All very solid (the 80's and early 90's were not-so-good)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "