Thread: Flying Colors - Live at the 27

Flying Colors - Live at the 27

Goddamn them. I'm liking A Place In Your World and can't stand it on the album. I knew this was going to happen. Gotta give big props to Casey as he seems to really be the guy instead of hired help. Not to say that was the case but I read a interview - http://vintagerock.com/index.php?opt...views&Itemid=4 and I realized yeah, he was a bit out of his element on the first tour. He handled it extremely well but wouldn't you be nervous going on stage with those guys?

They seem so much more of a band on this, but maybe that's because they weren't a band before the first album. Not like they paid their dues in clubs as young guys, in this band. to get there and then, of course, we would have had the inevitable sophomore dive.

I think you all get what I mean there. Words escape me sometimes. Dammit.

Very nicely filmed. Sounds good even on my crappy speakers. I've been watching this as I type and I gotta give more kudos to Casey. Read the interview and he had to learn Steve's guitar lines, not a easy task at times and he really seems to have become a confident frontman. Good for him and them.

Seriously, he's playing along side of Steve Morse. That's intimidating. Plus the rest, all accomplished musicians. Nothing nerve wracking going on there.

Still, it can't make me like Mask Machine. To many whoa-whoa's. They got me with APIYW but that ain't a happening here.

Dave LaRue on Neal Morse: "He picked the ones he liked and put about twenty aside", regarding a recent NM album. So I wasn't wrong, he really does write epics while on the john.

So, what's yer all's take on it?
    Last edited by TheLoony; 11-14-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Still waiting for my "pre-order" from Mascot.

Bastards.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I got my pre-ordered cd/blu ray. I think is my set-up but had issues with the mix. Neal's keyboards and drums are missing or very far behind. The bass is really up front, with the voices. It has to be my set up but making the comments here just in case someone else is having issues with the sound.
    The cameras are all over the place (lot of them). I like this band and all the musicians. I enjoyed much more the first blu-ray release where each guy has a solo spot where they play some piece from their own bands. Anyway, both are good.
    Now I hope they can reunite soon for a new album and tour.
    Last edited by rickm; 11-16-2015 at 11:48 AM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Have only listened to the audio discs, sounds good to me but wifey complaining of mix being thin. YMMV.

Ember
    Very impressed with the audio mix on the Blu-ray. Less so with some of the video editing choices, but I've seen worse. We saw the second show of this tour at the Keswick, outside Philadelphia. A disgraceful turnout, only about a third full, btw. Nevertheless, the band cranked. AFAIK they did the same setlist for every show on the tour, and it would be hard to say which performance was better.

Our original seats blocked out view of Mike Portnoy; we complained and they moved us to the front row where Dave Larue loomed over us all night. So the video lets us see what Neal and Steve were doing over on the other end of the stage. Great stuff. I would have no issue recommending this as an introduction to the band.