Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Klaatu?

Do You Klaatu?

I'm afraid I'll get some gruff with this post, but does anyone else enjoy Klaatu? I really dig their first album, but it started to go downhill after that, IMHO.
    Last edited by RapidRefresh; 11-13-2015 at 03:41 PM.

First three albums were excellent. Well, Sir Army Suit was about half excellent. After that it kind of went in the dumper I'd say the general consensus is that Hope is the stand-out, but I think Silly Boys is the single best song they ever did.

Jon Neudorf
    Like them alot. Agree about the first three albums, really dig them.

Cheers,
    Jon

"Hope" is in my desert island discs. Still enjoying it after so many years.

No. And "Calling Occupants" is cringe worthy.

I always felt the debut album was spotty as well, actually. I like Sub Rosa Subway, like Little Neutrino, Anus Of Uranus and a couple others but some like Dr. Marvello don't do much for me. Calling Occupants is kind of a guilty pleasure; it's uber-cheesy but I like the production on it quite a lot. On the whole it's a good album.

Like most folks the first three were solid.. I have the 4th but can't say it gets much if any airtime with me anymore.. Hope was the best of the bunch for sure..

Banned
    http://www.klaatu.org/
    All the remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Like most folks the first three were solid.. I have the 4th but can't say it gets much if any airtime with me anymore.. Hope was the best of the bunch for sure..
    Endangered Species makes Yes-Union legit. Klaatu don't even play on any of these songs and Sell Out,Sell Out is actually describing what is happening to them down in Los Angeles while making the album. It really is dreadful and they agree. The last one,Magentalane is pretty sweet if a little corny and commercial.

Being one of the first on the bounce at the release of 3:45 EST, it still is one of my fave (let's say top 50 for me), though Hope does equally well (I'd urge the OP RR to reisten to it, because it's astounding, despite being imperfect)

I must say that Sir Suit Army was really disappointing and I never warmed to it... I'd rather not mention the rest of their albums
    Last edited by Trane; 11-13-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    I listened to some of their earlier albums after "Hope" was a featured CD on PE. Afraid I couldn't be bothered with them. Some of it is not actually bad pop, and almost falls under the "progressive" label, I found it a little pretentious and not all that inspiring. What i mean by "pretentious" is that the music is much more ordinary than the science fiction themes behind the lyrics would lead one to expect. Much the same reaction from me as Mike Oldfield's "Songs of Distant Earth", or Kenny Young's "Last Stage For Silverworld".

Hope is a classic, and like I said in an other thread on the subject: the orchestral Hope from the Sun Set compilation is sheer joy. 3:47 EST is also really good, and there are some good moments on Sir Army Suit. The latter has been re-released recently which included the animations for the proposed movie.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Meh...

The first two albums are classics for me, amazing albums, love them a lot. Never heard anything else from them that I liked however.

Hope remains one of the all-time great Canadian albums. Like parts of the 1st and 3rd also but Hope is their best.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Love the first two albums. I have the other three, and they're pretty much gathering dust. Time to get that $4000.00 vinyl cleaner.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Do I Klaatu? Well I did years ago; I had the first two. I hadn't listened to them for decades until a thread on them came up on PE a while back. Not anything I'd want to reach for today, but I enjoyed those two albums back in the day; even the novelty tunes like "Anus of Uranus" and "Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby." I used to like "True Life Hero" a lot. If nothing else, they were definitely ambitious!

I love Hope. I think I have the first one too, but can't rember anything of it (so it might not have liked it that much)

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    http://www.klaatu.org/
    All the remasters.
    More direct: http://www.klaatutheband.com/cdstore/cdstore_int.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Endangered Species makes Yes-Union legit. Klaatu don't even play on any of these songs and Sell Out,Sell Out is actually describing what is happening to them down in Los Angeles while making the album. It really is dreadful and they agree. The last one,Magentalane is pretty sweet if a little corny and commercial.
    Could someone explain why they didn't play on Endangered Species? This is weird!

I have a 2-for on a CD of the first album and Hope. I'll like both'em but Hope is the better album. Haven't heard that CD in years.

Hope is a masterpiece. I really like it, a truly superb creation of progressive/psychedelic pop with stunning attention to detail. Sure, the concept might strike some as cheesy, but I still really love it.

The debut and Sir Army Suit are pretty good, too. Well, the debut wears its influences on its sleeve a bit too much, especially the Beatles-y tunes, but it times it sounds like they’re running the gamut of imitating other bands they like (Yes on “Calling Occupants...,” the Beach Boys on “California Jam,” Pink Floyd on “Little Neutrino,” etc.). Sir Army Suit is more of a workaday album without the attempt at something grander like Hope was, though it contains some fine songs (I’d say the same about Magentalane, but far less so, unfortunately). The less said about Endangered Species, the better.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I tried and tried to get into Magentalane as some kind of return to form but for me it's as bad as Endagered Species- maybe worse.