Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jaco documentary

New Jaco documentary

Just got notice about this.

JACO, A full-length documentary film chronicling the life, music and ongoing influence of the mythic electric bass pioneer Jaco Pastorius, is being released on DVD/BluRay on Nov. 27, 2015. Produced by Robert Trujillo (bassist, Metallica) JACO incorporates interviews with musical visionaries including Sting, Joni Mitchell, Flea, Jerry Jemmott, Bootsy Collins, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Carlos Santana and many others with never-before-seen photos and films from the Pastorius family archive. This extraordinary film reveals the story behind Jaco's life and music, both as a solo artist and member of Weather Report, the tragic arc of his demise and early death and the enduring influence and inspiration of his artistry and genius.
    JP.jpg

Pre-order from Amazon here.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Looking forward to this!

My wonderful lady kicked in for this when they were taking pledges as a surprise for me. Already got the cool tee shirt looking forward to the blu-ray!!

XLNT.

That's about time.... I paid in the crowd funding campaign almost a year ago, and got the accompanying t-shirt just before summer. Waiting for the mail man now...

AutoBuy, of course, along with the 4 disc live WR set soon to be released.

Count me in...... unless there's commentary by Jack Black.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    +1

What a tragic story. Right up there with Badfinger and Skynyrd for pathos!

Weird....I'm only on board if Jack Black is heavily featured.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

The movie sounds sad, with so many home movies and voice mail messages. I want to remember Jaco's recorded legacy.

Not sure I want to wallow in his home life and tragic end.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    + 300 trillion.

This looks really interesting, looking forward to it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The bio on him was one of the few books that made me cry. I don't think I can watch a documentary on this. The 4 disc Weather Report collection however...very much looking forward to that!
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Obviously Jack Black could be a necessary moment of levity in an otherwise bleak film.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    The bio on him was one of the few books that made me cry. I don't think I can watch a documentary on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Obviously Jack Black could be a necessary moment of levity in an otherwise bleak film.
    Well it's not all bleak. I read the bio too. Of course it's a sad story, but the part about his early years and rise to fame is actually pretty uplifting. Like Joni said in the beginning of the trailer, Jaco was an original. Obviously, his music was the most fascinating thing about him, but the man was a very interesting individual too. Some of this documentary will indeed be painful to watch, but (in Yoda-ese) watch it I will.

Somebody enlighten me; what does Jack Black have to do with any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well it's not all bleak. I read the bio too. Of course it's a sad story, but the part about his early years and rise to fame is actually pretty uplifting. Like Joni said in the beginning of the trailer, Jaco was an original. Obviously, his music was the most fascinating thing about him, but the man was a very interesting individual too. Some of this documentary will indeed be painful to watch, but (in Yoda-ese) watch it I will.

Somebody enlighten me; what does Jack Black have to do with any of this?
    Absolutely nothing at all, but since some were annoyed with the fact that he was afforded a few seconds in the Rush documentary it's natural that it would be foremost in some people's minds, lol.

I can handle the tragic parts of any documentary (hmmm....well, there is one doc on Hiroshima that I couldn't finish). I look forward to checking this out even if they let Sasha Baron Cohen have a few words.
    <sig out of order>

I look forward to checking this out even if they let Sasha Baron Cohen have a few words.
    Ewww.

I swear I've seen this... did it air on cable?

Paul, you must have missed my post yesterday, about an All About Jazz article I wrote published yesterday called "Three Views of Jaco," covering the film, the soundtrack and the incredible new four-disc box from Weather Report, The Legendary Live Tapes 1978-1981.

Folks, if you love Jaco, you need to see this. Yes, the painful parts are painful...but the joyous parts are so damned inspirational. I was worried the film wouldn't be truthful but it is....on both ends of the spectrum. But it doesn't wallow in the tragedy....it's as much about the joy of his early life and music....and reveals some things I didn't know about him, his music, and the recording process of, for example, Word of Mouth's remarkable opener, "Crisis."

You can read the review here....

Enjoy!
    Last edited by jkelman; 11-19-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    No. It showed at a few festivals and a couple theatres as a premiere, but it is released on Record Store Day....

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The movie sounds sad, with so many home movies and voice mail messages. I want to remember Jaco's recorded legacy.

Not sure I want to wallow in his home life and tragic end.
    It doesn't wallow. It strikes a really good balance between celebrating his greatness while, at the same time, not sugar coating the truth about the tragedy that led to his premature death.

But it is far from a downer. There is a lot of joy in this film, too.

I really don't understand why people think of this as a bleak film. There was so much wonderful music and good times to celebrated-and document - before things began going south. And when they do they're handled really well. Peter Erskine, in particular,handles the bad years with such love and respect that you realize how, even though there were those who' don't play with Jaco because he,d become too unreliable/unpredictable, they all still loved him and never lost sight of his genius (a word I don't banter around too often but applies here, I think).

Overal, this is a celebratory film...not a bleak one.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I really don't understand why people think of this as a bleak film. There was so much wonderful music and good times to celebrated-and document - before things began going south. And when they do they're handled really well. Peter Erskine, in particular,handles the bad years with such love and respect that you realize how, even though there were those who' don't play with Jaco because he,d become too unreliable/unpredictable, they all still loved him and never lost sight of his genius (a word I don't banter around too often but applies here, I think).

Overal, this is a celebratory film...not a bleak one.
    Sorry - don't mistake my attempts at humor for actual knowledge of the film. I haven't seen it, but look forward to doing so.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    There was a BBC radio documentary that someone put photo images to on YT. It's the only one until now.