Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Yes setlist in years?

Best Yes setlist in years?

From last night, looks that way to me...Only one song is a total surprise but it looks like they're mixing up the eras in a way they haven't done since the In the Present tour.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yes/20...l-bf51982.html

"Nine Voices??"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

come on scott, put your hands together... nine voices...
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "Nine Voices??"
    Really? I've always thought of it as "Nine Voices!!"

One of my favorite later years songs. I'm not a nojonnoyesser by any means, but that seems weird without him.

(but then, they just spent a year playing Cans and Brahms without Rick, so...)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Really? I've always thought of it as "Nine Voices!!"

One of my favorite later years songs. I'm not a nojonnoyesser by any means, but that seems weird without him.
    Definitely a wacky setlist. Something from almost every decade. It's got to leave the audience with a bit of whiplash.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

A couple of surprises there, particularly the fact that they're still playing "Don't Kill The Whale"! I like that song, but it's odd to me that they're doing it again. And as one of the (very) few who enjoyed H&E, I'm glad they're at least representing it with one track.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I wish they wouldn't take snippets from songs like soon taken from gates. Play the whole piece.

Nice setlist.. Good for them..

Sorry but "nine voices" is probably one of my least favorite songs from the Ladder.

Also, I had to look it up to see what album "believe again" is from since I don't own(and have never heard)that album.

^It's nice that Yes have remembered they had an album out only last year. Though no, I didn't buy it either.

I'm a fan of The Ladder but yeah, 'Nine Voices' wouldn't have been the first choice of songs from that I would have expected live. But at least they are acknowledging the album!

I think it's official that they've reclaimed this song. Howe totally looks like he believes in it now. It sounds upbeat and energetic, even if Downes' keys are a bit "off."

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

A bit surprising, yes. However its basically the summer 2015 set plus 4 songs, right?

I'm curious if they'll do more Drama tracks in the coming week..?

Here's a cool one-

Yeah, that was nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here's a cool one-

Isn't that similar to what Downes did for his solo spot during the 1980 tour? I was actually hoping they did that instead of "Cans and Brahms" on the recent tour where they played Fragile in its entirety (2014?).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I think it's official that they've reclaimed this song. Howe totally looks like he believes in it now. It sounds upbeat and energetic, even if Downes' keys are a bit "off."

I think Steve struck a deal with management. "I'll give them the chorus-y wanking solo as long as I get a free improv in my own style at the end." Everyone wins.

Opening night, opening song issues-

And no, not the best setlist in years; we recently had all of CTTE, G4T1 & TYE in one night. Better than the recent summer tour perhaps.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Trade Nine Voices for New Languages. Believe Again for Subway Walls. Wouldn't they be awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "Nine Voices??"

With neither Chris or Jon to sing, they shouda done "mime voices"

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Best setlist in years was probably the 3 album tour: all of Close to the Edge, Going for the One and Yes Album. Now if you want to say "most surprising setlist" or "setlist with some rarer tracks thrown in", then maybe. I'd go with the tour around 2008 where they did Machine Messiah and Astral Traveler over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'm a fan of The Ladder but yeah, 'Nine Voices' wouldn't have been the first choice of songs from that I would have expected live. But at least they are acknowledging the album!
    Right - exactly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I think Steve struck a deal with management. "I'll give them the chorus-y wanking solo as long as I get a free improv in my own style at the end." Everyone wins.
    As a fan, this is what I'd want to hear, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    With neither Chris or Jon to sing, they shouda done "mime voices"

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Best? Impossible when it's got both "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and "Don't Kill the Whale." No.

Still, "Nine Voices" is a big latter-day highlight AFaIC, so big props for that (even if I'm not sure I'd want to hear it without one of the voices being Jon's).

Did they even play 'Nine Voices' when The Ladder was new?? I know they did play a lot of it at the time.

a short solo sandwiched between Man In A White Car played twice. a 'SUITE' hardly. but JD sounds great doing it.
    if they do the whole Drama album with him- it would be nice.