Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Yes setlist in years?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Did they even play 'Nine Voices' when The Ladder was new?? I know they did play a lot of it at the time.
    yes.

"Nine Voices" from Cruise To The Edge:
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Best Yes setlist in years? - Not without an epic it isn't.

LOVED seeing Nine Voices on CTTE. Along with America (my favorite Howe jam ever! Even without the fieriness of the original '70's version, it still kicks) and some of the other choices, this was a wonderful set list. Steve Howe was great.

the best setlist in years?...... not without Jon Anderson.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the best setlist in years?...... not without Jon Anderson.
    Anderson hasn't sung with the band in over 11 years. Can we not take the phrase "the best setlist in years" to be referring to just the last decade? If so, given Anderson hasn't been at any of those shows, the best has to be without him.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Anderson hasn't sung with the band in over 11 years.
    Wow... has it really been 11 years? Some perspective: that's roughly the same amount of time from the debut Yes album in '69 to the Drama album in '80!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow... has it really been 11 years? Some perspective: that's roughly the same amount of time from the debut Yes album in '69 to the Drama album in '80!
    Anderson's last time singing with the band was 22 Sep 2004 in Mexico. He was invited to the November 2004 Produced by Trevor Horn show, but opted out.

Of course, Anderson was planning to return to Yes for summer 2008, before ill health forced him to pull out. As far as I can tell, he didn't get as far as rehearsing with the band, so he hasn't sung with Yes for a bit over 11 years.

If you line up 22 Sep 2004 with Yes's first show on 3 Aug 1968, then right now would be the equivalent of the abortive Paris sessions (so after Anderson's final live appearance with the band before leaving). If you line up 22 Sep 2004 with the release of Yes, then right now is partway through the UK leg of the Drama tour, and not too long before the band splits up. Tempus fugit.

Henry

PS: It's also about 5 years and 10 months since we first heard about the Anderson Wakeman Rabin project. In 5 years and 10 months from their formation, Yes had got up to Tales from Topographic Oceans and supporting tour, and Wakeman had just quit the band after releasing Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Also, if you figure from the time of Jon's birth, until he was 11 years old, Jon would have been in the Primary 6th grade. It would not be for another 7 full years (the cycle of the 7 year Magicicada Cicada) until he joined The Warriors where he and his brother Tony shared the role of lead vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

PS: It's also about 5 years and 10 months since we first heard about the Anderson Wakeman Rabin project.
    It was also 8 years and 4 months from the time Trevor Rabin announced that he was working on an instrumental album later to be called Jacaranda By coincidence, this happens to be the same amount of time before he will release the vocal album that he announced in 2012, right on time for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

So in the same length of time between Yes and Drama they have given us Fly From Here and Heaven And Earth. Not that great a comparison.

I was shocked at the 11 years without Jon though, it doesn't seem that long in my head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Also, if you figure from the time of Jon's birth, until he was 11 years old, Jon would have been in the Primary 6th grade.
    Well, no, because no-one in Accrington would have had the foggiest what you were going on about if you'd called it "6th grade".

Henry