Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Yes setlist in years?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I think Steve struck a deal with management. "I'll give them the chorus-y wanking solo as long as I get a free improv in my own style at the end." Everyone wins.
    Well, in Howe's defense, he's been playing that solo at the end since the 90's. But I do find it interesting that after using a harmonizer for a solo on Heaven & Earth - the first time I've heard him use one, although he may have used one before - he's finally using it on the Owner solo, after years of making limp whiny noises for 8 bars.

When was the last time they played To Be Over live? I have been going to shows for decades and still haven't seen that classic played. Is there a reason they "avoid" it? For that matter, same question about Silent Wings of Freedom.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

no video killed hte radio star in the white car suite suppose that would be considered tacky nowadays. coulda thrown in the cutting it fine bolero solo to beef it up, either way happy to see it back in the setlist. hope we get the full drama album here in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    When was the last time they played To Be Over live? I have been going to shows for decades and still haven't seen that classic played. Is there a reason they "avoid" it? For that matter, same question about Silent Wings of Freedom.
    Howe has played it as an acoustic track, including within Yes' own concerts around 2002/3. 'Silent Wings...' was nodded to in Chris Squire's 'The Fish' solo as well. These are on the 2003 Montreux DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Trade Nine Voices for New Languages. Believe Again for Subway Walls. Wouldn't they be awesome?
    I thought the same thing. I soon realized that playing "Nine Voices" is simple to play, as is "Man in A White Car [Suite]" (What is the "suite" part??).
    "Clap" and "Soon" are also easy as well as classics.

That is sort of four easy/energy saving scattered during the show.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I thought the same thing. I soon realized that playing "Nine Voices" is simple to play, as is "Man in A White Car [Suite]" (What is the "suite" part??).

I do think you are correct here. It should be mentioned though that Billy loves Relayer and has been pushing hard for Yes to bring back Gates Of Delirium. Who knows,that may just happen. Next year in England/Europe they are playing Fragile and Drama full albums.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

Five, if you consider "Time and a Word."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Five, if you consider "Time and a Word."
    Missed that, thank you!

I'm not really getting the freshness here. 2004 was fresher!

Seeing Jon-Luc tonight. Yes is in Florida again tonight. Funny how at least 5 of the same songs will be played. Both doing the "Soon" only segment.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I suspect you may have a more Yessish experience tonight than seeing the actual Yes at this point. Jon still has the mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Jon still has the mojo.
    Agree.. Yes needs to pull off one final show with Jon..

^I totally agree.

They do a show with Jon every night, where ya been?

I'm not really getting the freshness here. 2004 was fresher!
    Yeah--it seems as stale and plodding as it's ever been recently---no mojo--no gravitas----but it is what it is---but the ABWH line-up is still alive!

I suspect you may have a more Yessish experience tonight than seeing the actual Yes at this point. Jon still has the mojo.
    The same to me. I'd just replace "actual Yes" in your post with "fake Yes" with Jon's parrot.

Tonight's Anderson-Ponty Band concert blew away every "Yes" show I've seen since Jon has been gone. I've seen about ten of 'em w/Benoit/Jon II. Jon's voice was as good as it's ever been. "State Of Independence" was a vocal workout and highlight. Standing O's all night. Wow.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I think I saw somebody speculate in the APB review thread that Ponty might be appealing to/bringing out Jon's sense of professionalism? If so, that's a really positive development.

Really I have no problem with Yes going out and playing as they are, but I can't help but feel that at this point the key to Yes' legitimacy lies in Jon Anderson's hands. Maybe that isn't the legal reality but that's my sense surrounding the whole thing.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Really I have no problem with Yes going out and playing as they are, but I can't help but feel that at this point the key to Yes' legitimacy lies in Jon Anderson's hands. Maybe that isn't the legal reality but that's my sense surrounding the whole thing.
    I'd like to see Union II as others have mentioned.

Yes needs a songwriter, so hire Trevor Rabin. They need a second great lead guitarist and harmonizing vocalist, so hire Trevor Rabin. They also needs someone to produce and won't let egos get in the way as to which songs go on the album, so hire Trevor Rabin.

This will be great!

* Trevor Rabin -- guitar, vocals, quality control
    * Billy Sherwood -- bass, writing , vocals
    * Neil Peart -- drums, lyrics
    * Either Jon or both -- vocals (absolutely NO songwriting)
    * Any of the six keyboardists (it won't matter because the final keys will be Rabin's)
    * Steve Howe -- plays what he wants ("After all, I am Steve Howe")
    Last edited by yamishogun; 11-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post

I have posted to this extent myself. Anyone who enjoys what they are doing now, fine, but it's not really a Yes I personally have much interest in, and this set hasn't changed my mind (well, beyond it being nice them acknowledging The Ladder).

I've seen Yes a few times in various incarnations but the most "Yessish" (in the sense of cosmic and weird and great) concert was Jon A on his own at Manchester Royal Exchange (which was going to be recorded for release but wasn't, quel surprise!). He was brilliantly entertaining, funny and touching and musically spot on. Great set list, all over the place, Yes, Vangelis, Olias, some dorky song about the Beatles he seemed to have written five minutes before. All sorts. All good. He doesn't need the rest of Yes, but I do think they need him. I hope APB play in the UK at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Agree.. Yes needs to pull off one final show with Jon..
    And if they did, people would be saying "Yes needs to pull off one final show with Jon" again within the year.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The big difference for me was that APB isn't a rock group. You don't get the thunder of Yes, or of Ponty's vintage work (or even Ponty with RTF a few years back)...I found the sound a lot more lilting and lighter, with the Caribbean and Celtic flavors. All of the Yes arrangements (except maybe "Roundabout") were a good deal softer than the originals-- and too many cushy keyboard sounds for my taste. Great players for sure, Jon's voice in top form, and I'm very glad I saw the show. But I couldn't imagine this band pulling off "Going For the One" or "Awaken."

You don't get the thunder of Yes but something crisper and more articulate. Softer, maybe, but with more fire and precision than Yes can currently muster.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    And if they did, people would be saying "Yes needs to pull off one final show with Jon" again within the year.

Henry
    Probably correct here Henry..