Thread: Uli Jon Roth-Scorpions Revisited

Uli Jon Roth-Scorpions Revisited

For those that don't know, Uli was the signature guitar sound of The Scorpions in what many consider their heyday 1974-1978. He stands neck to neck with Michael Schenker (IMHO) in both his playing and importance to their respective bands(Michael-UFO). Songs like "Sails of Charon", "Pictured Life", "Longing for Fire", and "In Trance" have some of the most memorable guitar hooks and solos of that classic metal age. Uli has gone onto many solo works and colaborations in the metal-classical realm since his departure, and The Scorpions were never the same. His unique phrasing and occasional Hendrixish sound, his songwriting, and Klaus Meine's young voice is what made this group at this time so dominant in the metal hard rock scene of the mid 70s. All the reasons this venture could have gone terribly wrong. First, Roth's playing is stronger and cleaner than ever. Second, they recorded it virtually live(few overdubs)at the very concert hall the Scorps rehearsed in back in the day, and 3)The singer, Nathan James is very well suited for this, sounds enough like Klaus when he needs to, but makes his own mark with an incredibly strong metal voice. Some of my favorite solos from that period are done as good or even better here. And the fact that it leads off with "Sails of Charon"- a song they didn't play live hardly at all due to its difficulty-says it all. a must buy for Early Scorpions fans!

I don't doubt your review at all. I saw Uli in 2012 when he was doing an all Scorps tour and he was tremendous.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    The singer, Nathan James is very well suited for this, sounds enough like Klaus when he needs to, but makes his own mark with an incredibly strong metal voice.
    Nathan has been part of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra tour the last few years. He isn't with them any longer as he started his own band, Inglorious, and got a deal with Frontiers Records - they open for Winery Dogs in January. This is one of the TSO songs he sang the last few years:

Uli rivals Steve Howe for the worst lead voice ever recorded. Why the guy couldn't find a vocalist in his post-Scorpion years and instead, chose to sing himself, is beyond me. Great guitarist, abysmal singer.

Thanks for sharing. He's perfect for that!

I have the German import of this CD and love it. I also saw this tour and the 2 previous tours when he started concentrating on more of the old Scorpions material. I have also done 3 Sky Academy's with Uli. He is a very nice man and quite the character. Just landed tickets today to see him again in April on his next US tour.