Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Green Suffers Heart Attack -- Now Stable, in Recovery

Gary Green Suffers Heart Attack -- Now Stable, in Recovery

Some news from the Gentle Giant-list:

Just received an email from Jerry McCarthy, here is the content:

"Scary news: I just spoke to Judy Green and she asked me to inform the lists that Gary suffered a heart attack yesterday morning. He had to be airlifted to a neighboring city equipped with a Cath lab and underwent a procedure Tuesday afternoon to have a shunt/stent inserted. His coronary artery was pretty much 100% blocked.

Judy expects Gary to be moved out of ICU today and he may be able to come home tomorrow. She said he is stable and currently feeling much better.

Please crank up those Good Vibes Machines once again and send your prayers and/or positivity towards Illinois. Thank you!"

A follow up post from Marc C -

Hey folks,

Gary called me a few minutes ago, I talked to Judy earlier as well, and I want to let you all know that he sounds fantastic. He was laughing and joking and is very much himself.

Everyone is thankful that this did not happen on the boat next week, although we had a nice chuckle that if it were to happen during mid-set, it would definitely be during "His Last Voyage" on the pool stage and the Med-Evac would fly down and whisk him away.

Just to let you know that he is in great spirits and it would be hard to tell what he has gone through the past few days. he will be having some rehab and recovery.

Great relief to know he seems to be quickly recovering. Saw Three Friends again last year, Gary is still very much a force to be reckoned with and I hope he continues to amaze us for many more years.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Whew! Nice to see one of these scary stories with a happy ending.

Good to hear of his recovery. Hope he was insured, those chopper rides are pricey!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Good to hear of his recovery. Hope he was insured, those chopper rides are pricey!
    Yeah... a friend who was in an accident recently had a med flight. $34,000 for a 20 minute ride.

I've grown to love this man as a person (musical acumen aside) since I've gotten to know him from many Chicago concerts. He was a particular favorite of Kay's, and we had the opportunity one night to have dinner with GG (just the 3 of us), and Kay picked his brain about his jazz influences.

I'm elated that this one turned out positively.

Mend quickly, my friend!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yikes! Glad to hear Gary is doing well. Hoping for a full and fast recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

I've grown to love this man as a person (musical acumen aside) since I've gotten to know him from many Chicago concerts. He was a particular favorite of Kay's, and we had the opportunity one night to have dinner with GG (just the 3 of us), and Kay picked his brain about his jazz influences.

I'm elated that this one turned out positively.

Mend quickly, my friend!
    He is a wonderful guy - getting to know him at Nearfest and hanging with him on CTTE, we have had a lot of fun together. So glad they were able to help him before it became more serious, and very glad he is on the mend. One of my favorite all time musicians and someone I could have only dreamed of meeting. Best of luck and get well Gary!

So glad he's on the mend! Saw GG many times back in the day, and here's hoping a real reunion will someday happen.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Sorry to hear that but glad to hear he has recovered. I too have met Gary a few times and agree with the others here.

Thank God the prognosis (no pun intended) is good! And that it didn't happen on-board ship.

Whew, I glad he's OK, love that guy
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Glad to hear he is ok. Although I don’t really know him I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he has always seemed like a very nice (and very funny) man.

I was just listening to In A Glass House a few minutes ago. Damn, Godspeed Gary. Get well. We live you.

And we love you too.

It's a glove save for Vic!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Man I super love Gary. He is hugely important to me and I wish him all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Glad to hear he is ok. Although I don’t really know him I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he has always seemed like a very nice (and very funny) man.
    I guess I don't really know him either then since that sums up it up for me too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very sad he won't be on the cruise, but glad he's doing so well now. Have to agree it's good that didn't happen on the cruise. I only met him briefly at NEARfest, but agree he was very personable, and one of the guys. A giant.

Wow, pleased hear he's getting better, get well soon Gary.

Good guy. Hope he has a full recovery and gets back to doing what he loves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy carp!!!...Glad to hear that GG is recovering nicely.

Positive vibes definitely going out your way Gary !!!

Get well Gary!