Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Prog's biggest disappointments of 2015

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    in the year 2015, they still make candy bars with coconut.
    Early Zager & Evans demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If that record has anything watered down, it's Ponty classics with Anderson jabbering a bunch of airy/faerie lyrics over them that are goofy even for him.
    Yeah have to agree---feared this from the beginning---also Yes carrying on---very sad and weird---maybe they need Anderson's airy/faerie lyrics and voice back.lol

I forgot to mention one other. King Crimson live at the Orpheum Theater. As much as I love the new KC, Fripp teasing us like this sucks. A very unsatisfying tidbit, leaving the listener yearning for more. I want to hear an ENTIRE concert, and I hope that happens sooner than later. I was at one of those L.A. shows, and believe me it seems that they left off most of the really good performances. Now I have heard 2 boots from the 2015 U.K. tour, and I hope they will release a full show that includes the classics Epitaph and The Court of the Crimson King. The boots aren't the greatest quality, but it seems the new line-up has really jelled, and the performances are staggering. C'mon RF, please give us a full concert release, and maybe it will be a top 2016 prog album, that I know will not disappoint.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Suspended
    Who is this Gilmore person that people keep referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Who is this Gilmore person that people keep referring to?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmore

He worked with Michael Kamen, unlike--wait, never mind.

Well, my main disappointment is certainly the "new" AksaK Maboul (with Véronique Vincent) album

Which is actually an unfinished Honeymoon Killers album from the early 80's that was recently finished by Crammed Discs

Very disappointmlent off-base new wave electro-pop... But then again nothing the Honeymoon Killers didn't do back then

However, WhyTF market this "thing" as a Aksak Maboul album?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The artist is Claude Martin, who also did the UNIFAUN reissue and the latest from my band The Winter Tree, "Earth Below".
    I think he was just doing what Nad wanted. Claude's an amazing artist and the new Nad cover art isn't really indicative of his style.
    http://www.claudemartin.net/

I agree that Nad's new album is really great.
    yep,looking at these there are lots of things I do like. You are probably right-- Nad i know does like the goth vampire kind of thing. problem is to me it all seems a bit "Twilight" series. Anyway, a cover doth not make/break an album and the album is fab!!

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    yep,looking at these there are lots of things I do like. You are probably right-- Nad i know does like the goth vampire kind of thing. problem is to me it all seems a bit "Twilight" series. Anyway, a cover doth not make/break an album and the album is fab!!
    Completely agree. For me it also givces off a gothic/symphonic metal vibe. The music is fantastic.

Cheers,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If that record has anything watered down, it's Ponty classics with Anderson jabbering a bunch of airy/faerie lyrics over them that are goofy even for him.
    A friend of mine saw them live and said it more like a fusion show than a prog show.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Almost all the stuff I was waiting for (a long time) (mostly Italian Prog) wasn't released this year.
    And some of the bands seems to have vanished during their recordings...

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Battles - La Di Da Di
    Jaga Jazzist - Starfire
    Guapo - Obscure Knowledge
    Zombi - Shape Shift

Maybe 2 or 3 non-'prog' albums as well. Here's a few (you can debate the style) I heard most or all of and wanted to get but haven't yet:

Squarepusher - Damogen Furies
    Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
    Thy Catafalque - Sgùrr
    Haven't heard the new Squarepusher but I enjoyed Ufabulum very much!

Dan Deacon's album is incredible though - serious AOTY contender in my opinion. Dude keeps getting better.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    A friend of mine saw them live and said it more like a fusion show than a prog show.
    Half and half. I saw them live Saturday. It was quite good, Anderson goofiness aside. Much better than the album.
    I'm not sure how a Yes fan who didn't already know Ponty's material would feel, but I'm more of a Ponty fan who has some Yes (almost all pre-1980) stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Battles - La Di Da Di
    Jaga Jazzist - Starfire
    Guapo - Obscure Knowledge
    Zombi - Shape Shift

Maybe 2 or 3 non-'prog' albums as well. Here's a few (you can debate the style) I heard most or all of and wanted to get but haven't yet:

Squarepusher - Damogen Furies
    Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
    Thy Catafalque - Sgùrr
    Thy Cataflque = autobuy for me.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I forgot to mention one other. King Crimson live at the Orpheum Theater. As much as I love the new KC, Fripp teasing us like this sucks. A very unsatisfying tidbit, leaving the listener yearning for more. I want to hear an ENTIRE concert, and I hope that happens sooner than later. I was at one of those L.A. shows, and believe me it seems that they left off most of the really good performances. Now I have heard 2 boots from the 2015 U.K. tour, and I hope they will release a full show that includes the classics Epitaph and The Court of the Crimson King. The boots aren't the greatest quality, but it seems the new line-up has really jelled, and the performances are staggering. C'mon RF, please give us a full concert release, and maybe it will be a top 2016 prog album, that I know will not disappoint.
    Honestly i think i'm reaching Crimson saturation point. i'm a die-hard...saw the friends and family show before the first Canada show where they're at now...that's me on the left in Tony's recent diary update in the suit...but like, the old-new songs flat out didn't convince as being "new" (RF hardly played on them either - NST aside - and when he did his tones weren't very powerful or high in the mix) and nor did the new-new ones...they're honored but lacking...there're rumors of another personnel change come 2017 but we'll have to see...honestly this line-up seems more like 21CSB but with lots of drummers and RF not really knowing what to do, next to no improvisation from the backline...shrug...we'll see what's next i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Honestly i think i'm reaching Crimson saturation point. i'm a die-hard...saw the friends and family show before the first Canada show where they're at now...that's me on the left in Tony's recent diary update in the suit...but like, the old-new songs flat out didn't convince as being "new" (RF hardly played on them either - NST aside - and when he did his tones weren't very powerful or high in the mix) and nor did the new-new ones...they're honored but lacking...there're rumors of another personnel change come 2017 but we'll have to see...honestly this line-up seems more like 21CSB but with lots of drummers and RF not really knowing what to do, next to no improvisation from the backline...shrug...we'll see what's next i guess.
    It's a touring spectacle, not a recording band. As a touring spectacle, I think it succeeded very well. No surprise to me that they'd be moving on fairly quickly - eventually, the tour was going to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    WhyTF market this "thing" as a Aksak Maboul album?
    In order to get weirdoes like us, who have such names on auto-buy, to part with our hard earned money...

Glad I skipped this one, as I agree with your take on the album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    I'd really respected Howe and White if they had dropped the name Yes and picked up a different "Yesish" name, just like the three guys from Gentle Giant that call themselves Three Friends did.
    But apaprently $$$$ are more important for them.
    I thought Three Friends *wanted* to call themselves Gentle Giant, but the Shulmans blocked that...?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

They missed a golden opportunity to call themselves Tres Amigos and play all the old GG songs mariachi style.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    The second biggest disappointment is Dave Gilmour's album. It's simply horrible. I couldn't belive it was Dave's album when I was listening to it.
    I have to admit.... I bought it (on vinyl too), but after hearing a few tracks on internet radio before it arrived, the album still finds itself neatly shrink-wrapped. Any takers?

My biggest disappointment of the year was going to see the Trevor Horn Band play with Seal due to sing, but Seal had to pull out with flu. Still a good show, but would have been great to see Seal, and indeed see Seal sing the likes of "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Slave to the Rhythm" and "I'm Not in Love".

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

My biggest disappointment is that people are still taking photos at King Crimson gigs despite Fripp's request that they cease and desist. Have you guys heard about this? I'm surprised that there isn't a 15-page thread filled with self-righteous indignation and internet macho bravado!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    King Crimson live at the Orpheum Theater. As much as I love the new KC, Fripp teasing us like this sucks.
    I don't mind the length (especially considering how fast they got it out). For me the song selection was the disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My biggest disappointment is that people are still taking photos at King Crimson gigs despite Fripp's request that they cease and desist. Have you guys heard about this? I'm surprised that there isn't a 15-page thread filled with self-righteous indignation and internet macho bravado!
    There is one on-going about a Toronto incident ... It's called Fripp is not amused (is he ever, though?)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    There is one on-going about a Toronto incident ... It's called Fripp is not amused (is he ever, though?)
    Biggest disappointment of 2015: Trane did not get the joke of Yves.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/