Thread: Make a living playing PROG

Make a living playing PROG

Hi fellow prog-lo-dytes.
    LA instrumental band KING LLAMA saying hello. We are about to record our new record with producer extraordinaire Dave Schiffman (credits: Mars Volta, System of a Down, Audioslave, etc...). Our bass player will be on the record but then departing for a top secret CIA mission and will not be making the sojourn with us through the American hinterlands to support our new release. We are fortunate enough to be involved with some very professional people besides the estimable Mr. Schiffman, and actually have a shot at spreading the word of Prog. We are a fusion band ala (odd time rock/jazz/funk), and you may peep us in the below linked videos.
    Any interested bass players? Please contact Ryan at billspeering@yahoo.com. 5 or more bass strings required.

video links:

http://youtu.be/I33Zr0eXpQA

http://youtu.be/sLxz8pRZKxY

Making a living playing prog?

I suppose it's possible, could have as good a chance hitting megabucks or the state lottery as well.

I think the bigger question is how to create an audience for prog again that would include a healthy chunk of the mainstream
    music listening population. Would start will a movement away from electronica and back into live playing again. Seems most folk have completely lost touch for an appreciation of sophisticated rock music being playing in real time by real people.

Lot's of fans around here, but I'm seeing most club promoters not taking a chance on prog unless you can prove to them a healthy following in their area. How does one do that? Facebook likes, youtube views? It takes a lot of time and effort to do that, time otherwise spent practicing, writing, recording, composing etc....

If labels are going to finance a tour for a new prog band, even if they have contacts to do so, they are going to cover their butts first... and rightly so. How much could be left over for the band?

Is quality of life a consideration?

Would love to see a change in the tides and see prog bands out touring and playing live, not just making music on their computers at home.

Thanks for posting here, hope this thread can stay on topic and is not just solely a promo plug for your band... (wishing you guys well and the best of course)
    Last edited by Skullhead; 11-09-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Old man of prog
    Wow. This folder title caught my attention lol.

When I was 14 I taught myself how to play the middle section of "21st Century Schizoid Band" on bass albeit WAY slower than the KC version. Wish I knew how to play for real and get an opportunity to play some REAL music in a working band.

Guess I'll just have to settle for criticizing others

I think very few modern prog bands do it with just one band and no side projects etc. I would say Dream Theater and not sure who else. It could depend on your definition of prog too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think very few modern prog bands do it with just one band and no side projects etc. I would say Dream Theater and not sure who else. It could depend on your definition of prog too.
    No one I know apart from Steven Wilson and even he does remix work as well.

How do you make a small amount of money out of prog?

First start with a large amount of money.

You're best off disguising it as something else. That's worked for a number of bands. It's a lot easier for a music fan to never try something at all than to de-friend something he already likes

Best wishes! Remember: Avoid the word "Prog" whenever possible and you'll be halfway to success!

Old man of prog
    Allen Woody ex-Allmans and Gov't Mule used to have an 18 string bass that he would do his solo on. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You're best off disguising it as something else. That's worked for a number of bands. It's a lot easier for a music fan to never try something at all than to de-friend something he already likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Best wishes! Remember: Avoid the word "Prog" whenever possible and you'll be halfway to success!
    I'm not really sure I agree with this or at least not entirely. I think maybe this was the case 10 to 15 years ago and earlier but I think these days it's not the dirty word it used to be especially among open minded music fans. It is true that prog artists and bands have to promote themselves outside of prog circles but I don't think trying to hide the fact you are prog is the answer(all mo of course).

Back in the 90's and a little later I agree it would have worked and made a difference. I heard that the band Boud Deun used to call themselves "alternative rock" or something and would get booked at clubs that way. I suppose back then(90's)they were afraid of labeling themselves as prog. These days I'm not sure that's necessary but if a band is convinced it will make a difference and decide to call themselves something else then fine do it. However, people who know or care will find out as soon as a band plays.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-09-2015 at 11:39 PM.

The lack of a clear definition of "Prog" doesn't help anyone or the genre. There seems to be some kind of belief that having a clear defined label is uncool or shows a lack of creative artistry.

If people knew what Prog is or was, it would only help. The fact that a "Prog" board such as this can't define it shows a lack of something.... and that "something" is important in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with labels if they accurately detail a subject for the aid of referencing, categorizing etc... helping one find what they are looking for or what to avoid.

The problem is that the definition of prog is so all over the place that any particular band can be misrepresented.

To me, prog is just complex rock music with that complexity being heavily weighted by classical music.
    Maybe "Classical Rock" would be a better definition.

If I were in a record store and saw a section called "Classical Rock" I should find most all the classic 70's prog bands.
    "Jazz Rock" I might find the fusion bands.
    "Avant Guard Rock", I would find the RIO stuff.
    "Complex Metal" I would find more of the modern prog bands.
    "Progressive Blues" I might find Led Zeppelin or Robin Trower.

You wanna make a living playing prog, join YES. Nice stuff. When you get finished recording contact www.audiophileimports.com about selling it. There used to be a posting drummer here who sent me a cd/dvd of this band, his name is Jonathann Launer. Have you guys heard or seen anything about these guys.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I think Arjan Lucassen does quite well and he doesn't play live, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You wanna make a living playing prog, join YES.
    Good point. They do seem to always be hiring.

Glad to see we can kick off a spirited convo here! We know how rough it is to "make a living" from playing progressive music. ...It probably would have been a lot easier for us to purvey "alterna-rock" or pre-pubescent synth pop... But we do this for the same reason you read this forum. We love music that's as good as it can be! When we hire a plumber we want a guy who can "plumb" good, not someone who has a great haircut or the best showing ass-crack.
    > The fact does remain, we need a shit-hot bass player!

Quote Originally Posted by kingllama View Post
    Glad to see we can kick off a spirited convo here! We know how rough it is to "make a living" from playing progressive music. ...It probably would have been a lot easier for us to purvey "alterna-rock" or pre-pubescent synth pop... But we do this for the same reason you read this forum. We love music that's as good as it can be! When we hire a plumber we want a guy who can "plumb" good, not someone who has a great haircut or the best showing ass-crack.
    > The fact does remain, we need a shit-hot bass player!
    Why don't you put an ad at Berklee in Boston? I think you can do it online, or you could call the career center and they could help you. Lot's of great players lurking around there.

I'm a bass player, but I couldn't commit to the type of touring you are looking at. Best of luck!

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The music sounds very good! Be sure to post here again when the album's released (if not before).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The music sounds very good! Be sure to post here again when the album's released (if not before).
    Thank you so much, JKL, for you kind words and encouragement. It's not easy being a Prog-nosticator late 2015.

Thank you so much, JKL, for you kind words and encouragement. It's not easy being a Prog-nosticator late 2015.
    Get in touch with Soundgarden... ask to be an opening act. Like someone mentioned. You are not "prog" You are heavy rock/metal. Hell... just call yourself a product making pop band and then get objects thrown at the band when you start playing.

I would say get in touch with Joe Satriani or Steve Vai or some other similar artists. I agree it's not really typical prog but more like instrumental rock and that's not a bad thing at all. There are some subtleties about the music that might take it into prog territory(I'm only judging by the one youtube clip so far). I think the band is really good and has a lot of potential regardless of the label though. You guys are a talented bunch for sure.

Liked the first one although only listened once. Pulled it out(thanks for the free download) and will check it out in the next few days.

I told my ex-bassist to send you a email. He's got the chops, equipment and health(mental and physical) but he's lacking some theory, for sure. I think he's pulling my leg and knows more theory than he lets on. He can play stuff but he never has understood time sigs. He can play some crap so I never understood how he doesn't understand time/tempo and all that.

As a drummer, I don't really need to know notes. As a bassist, I'd think one would need to at least know where the damned downbeat is but he somehow figures things out. I'd say he's almost as good as another local boy, Tony Smith, who once played for Larry Carlton.

So, there's that. He's also got the most beautiful bass(possibly even guitar), I've ever seen, a Sukop sixer. Almost as beautiful as any lady I've ever seen, it's that cool and he can play it very well.

I'd love to see him doing something like this as it fits all his needs, funk, rock, jazz. Who knows, eh?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Since you live in LA why don't you hang out at The Baked Potato, I'm sure you could find a bass player there.

I would say get in touch with Joe Satriani or Steve Vai or some other similar artists. I agree it's not really typical prog but more like instrumental rock and that's not a bad thing at all. There are some subtleties about the music that might take it into prog territory(I'm only judging by the one youtube clip so far). I think the band is really good and has a lot of potential regardless of the label though. You guys are a talented bunch for sure.
    Thank you, DMan. I agree, we are more instrumental rock, with some jazz influence. It's a shame how difficult it is to avoid getting labeled as Prog when the music is instrumental... but honestly, as an artist, I don't care to focus on the style labeling of my music, and just embrace it for what it is. Make it as good as as it can be.

Since you live in LA why don't you hang out at The Baked Potato, I'm sure you could find a bass player there.
    Indeed! Good advice. Haven't been there for a few months... most excellent players there. Thx

Indeed! Good advice. Haven't been there for a few months... most excellent players there. Thx
    I've only been in there once and Ric Fierabracci was playing in the band. I also saw him earlier this year on the east coast touring with Billy Cobham.

I've only been in there once and Ric Fierabracci was playing in the band. I also saw him earlier this year on the east coast touring with Billy Cobham.
    Dope! and Dope! Ric is so sick.