Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roy Harper Charges Dropped

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Yes she was. Dreadful album IMO, despite Kate. Only the title track and "The Flycatcher" save it.
    Wha?

This sums up the scene back then pretty well.
    http://theleopardcoat.blogspot.com/2...-groupies.html

Hats off to Roy. I remember having Led III back in 1971 or 72. I always wondered who Roy Harper was, that Led F'ing Zeppelin would right a song about him. I thought he must've been some old, obscure, Delta Blues man.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wha?
    See, even a crazy scientist knows that there are no bad Roy Harper albums!

The saddest thing about all of this is the fact that Harper was never compensated for his Have A Cigar vocals until fairly recently. And not by either Gilmour (surprisingly!) or Waters (no surprise there as Roger hated Roy's vocal on the track) but by drummer Nick Mason, all of all people. Harper finally gets a nest egg for himself and has to spend it all on lawyers and legal bills. That's why he's so POed about all this nonsense.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 11-23-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    The saddest thing about all of this is the fact that Harper was never compensated for his Have A Cigar vocals until fairly recently. And not by either Gilmour (surprisingly!) or Waters (no surprise there as Roger hated Roy's vocal on the track) but by drummer Nick Mason, all of all people. Harper finally gets a nest egg for himself and has to spend it all on lawyers and legal bills. That's why he's so POed about all this nonsense.
    Oops! They forgot to pay him. Wow, I didn't know that.

See, even a crazy scientist knows that there are no bad Roy Harper albums!
    "Good news everyone! Work of Heart kicks ass!"

It's true, there really are no bad Roy Harper albums, and I have them all. One of my favorites is kind of obscure: "Loony on the Bus." In fact the title song is one of my favorite Roy Harper songs. He did release a live video in the late 80s that was of pretty poor quality (not the material, the audio and video) and he spends like 20 minutes at the beginning of the tape apologizing for how bad it is. But that's so funny that it makes the release good.

I always wondered how Jimmy Page never got in trouble for that 13-yo groupie (or Bowie, FTM >> didn't know he actually deflowered her - always assumed Jimmy did)...
    At least JL Lewis married his 13-YO cousin (and he's still with her from what I gather), but was still given hell about it

Oops! They forgot to pay him. Wow, I didn't know that.
    Not so sure he didn't get paid.... it's like that chick singing in Great Gig In The Sky.... she got paid for the session alright (so most likely Roy did too), but she thought that given the success of the song, she wanted a bigger slice of the cake, pretending that she improvised therefore she "composed" as well

Generally all session players (even "buddies") got paid directly (most often in cash)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I always wondered how Jimmy Page never got in trouble for that 13-yo groupie (or Bowie, FTM >> didn't know he actually deflowered her - always assumed Jimmy did)...
    At least JL Lewis married his 13-YO cousin (and he's still with her from what I gather), but was still given hell about it

Not so sure he didn't get paid.... it's like that chick singing in Great Gig In The Sky.... she got paid for the session alright (so most likely Roy did too), but she thought that given the success of the song, she wanted a bigger slice of the cake, pretending that she improvised therefore she "composed" as well

Generally all session players (even "buddies") got paid directly (most often in cash)
    So it doesn't seem like contractually Harper would have been due royalties or anything, would he?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    No, there's been a few wives since! It had a huge, negative effect on his career at the time.

So it doesn't seem like contractually Harper would have been due royalties or anything, would he?
    AFAIK, unless there is a specific contract stating otherwise, you only get royalties if you're a registered author (lyrics), a composer (music) or the producer (in the wider sense of the term).

Now, based on that, if Mason gave him (Roy) money, I suspect that it's actually because he wanted to help him out ...
    Or else, he fears another Doris Troy court case...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

That blows!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Harper was a friend of the band, and more importantly, a label mate on EMI Harvest. He was not a paid session musician as was the case of women singing lead and backup on TDSotM album. And Harper, as other's pointed out, had no legal contract with the band or the record company for album royalties, he simply expected to be compensated. One can say that Gilmour paid him back by appearing as an unpaid guest on many Harper albums, so perhaps Gilmour felt that his obligation to Harper was squared. We will never know unless Gilmour makes a statement and I don't see that as forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    No, there's been a few wives since! It had a huge, negative effect on his career at the time.
    It absolutely killed his career in the UK overnight.