Thread: Help Me Remember This German Musician's Name

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Help Me Remember This German Musician's Name

Ok, I'm getting old, but to be fair I haven't laid eyes on this guys albums for years, as they're hidden away in my basement somewhere.

It's a guy who plays Berlin-school electronic music, and Klaus Schulze produced at least one of his albums. The one I like best has, I think, two compositions, and he used mostly acoustic instruments for it yet it still has a Berlin-school sound. I just can't remember his name or any of the album titles. The first track is astoundingly good.

Harold Grosskopf?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, I'm getting old, but to be fair I haven't laid eyes on this guys albums for years, as they're hidden away in my basement somewhere.

It's a guy who plays Berlin-school electronic music, and Klaus Schulze produced at least one of his albums. The one I like best has, I think, two compositions, and he used mostly acoustic instruments for it yet it still has a Berlin-school sound. I just can't remember his name or any of the album titles. The first track is astoundingly good.
    Robert Schröder (Schroeder), maybe? Klaus produced a few of his albums: Floating Music, Mosaique, Galaxie Cygnus-A.

Could also be Schulze himself under his alter-ego name, Richard Wahnfried.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Could also be Schulze himself under his alter-ego name, Richard Wahnfried.
    The Tonwelle and Time Actor albums are hardly acoustic. Schröder was practically Schulze's apprentice at one point. Not really, but he was one of the reasons Klaus launched the I.C. label.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Robert Schröder (Schroeder), maybe? Klaus produced a few of his albums: Floating Music, Mosaique, Galaxie Cygnus-A.
    Thanks - you're right, it's Schröder's 1979 album Harmonic Ascendant I was thinking of. I didn't think to mention the protege aspect to their relationship, which would probably have been helpful - not that you needed any help!

Here's the album - give the title track a try if you haven't heard it. You have to stick with it for the payoff. I was wrong about the number of tracks - there are 3 and the title track is the first and is 22 minutes long.

You can also stream the album on Schröder's website.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The Tonwelle and Time Actor albums are hardly acoustic. Schröder was practically Schulze's apprentice at one point. Not really, but he was one of the reasons Klaus launched the I.C. label.
    Yeah, sorry rcarlberg, you get the booby prize this time around! I'm pretty well versed in my Klaus, so I know the Wahnfried albums. I had more Klaus albums than any other artist's until the Grateful Dead released the 80-disk set!

Thanks - you're right, it's Schröder's 1979 album Harmonic Ascendant I was thinking of. I didn't think to mention the protege aspect to their relationship, which would probably have been helpful - not that you needed any help!

Here's the album - give the title track a try if you haven't heard it. You have to stick with it for the payoff. I was wrong about the number of tracks - there are 3 and the title track is the first and is 22 minutes long.
    This may surprise you, but I actually prefer Robert's albums a little further down the road, those being Computer Voice, TimeWaves, Driftin' and select tracks on Brain Voyager.

I thought Paradise was dreadful. It literally felt like a waste of my time. The earlier albums, like Floating Music, are solid, but other guys like Mark Shreeve and Michel Huygen/Carlos Guirao aka Neuronium were way better early on. It's really a matter of preference, of course.

Suspended
    I heard quite a lot of this music in the 1980's, courtesy of an ABC radio programme called "Dreamtime". It wasn't just electronica, but he played lots of it: Klaus Schulze, Kitaro, Robert Schroeder, Tangerine Dream, Manuel Gottsching(?)...There was another similar programme called Mirage, which I later discovered was the name of one of Klaus' albums.

I don't think the ABC has any similar programs now, but I still occasionally hear samples of this kind of music on community radio.

Yeah, sorry rcarlberg, you get the booby prize this time around!
    Yay, boobies!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I was gonna guess Adolf Hitler

Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post

Too soon?
    Anyone who thinks Steve Roach is Berlin School, leave the room!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post

Too soon?
    Well, he's back.