Thread: Offramp

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Offramp

Anyone familiar with this "band" (I think it might be a one-man outfit)? Seems to be music intended to be atmospheric, or meant for listening while doing other things, yet it could be more interesting than that - not sure.

http://www.offrampmuse.com/

Hello!

Just wanted to let you know that Offramp is my music project and that it is in fact a one-man 'band'. Thank you for asking about it as I never knew anyone outside a small circle of people I know have even heard my music. I have been writing music for the past 20 years and releasing official Offramp projects since 2001. Most of the music is instrumental and atmospheric, but I prefer to write rock and prog-like rock music but it is more difficult and time-consuming to finish those songs. That is my website so even though no one has responded, I appreciate the promotion and questions. Thank you again for your interest and feel free to write back if you wish.

Chris (OFFRAMP)

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner23 View Post
    Hello!

Just wanted to let you know that Offramp is my music project and that it is in fact a one-man 'band'. Thank you for asking about it as I never knew anyone outside a small circle of people I know have even heard my music. I have been writing music for the past 20 years and releasing official Offramp projects since 2001. Most of the music is instrumental and atmospheric, but I prefer to write rock and prog-like rock music but it is more difficult and time-consuming to finish those songs. That is my website so even though no one has responded, I appreciate the promotion and questions. Thank you again for your interest and feel free to write back if you wish.

Chris (OFFRAMP)
    I clicked the link but couldn't get a feel for your project (nor did i go to the service to hear a sample). Might you please give us a feel for the project? Is it Ambient? Something else? What sort of instrumentation?

Thanks!

Well, guess what! There's ANOTHER guy not in your circle who has one of your CDs. Haven't listened to it in a while, so I guess I'll have to go back and familiarize myself with it.

The website link should work -- www.offrampmuse.com (http://offrampmuse.com) - The music I write has been of late mostly ambient, piano, and general soft/light instrumental pieces. I have done some rock stuff with my first, self-entitled Offramp project in 2001 and then the follow-up in 2009 called Dark Matter. The recording for the first album was done on ADATs but the drummer was not up what I hoped to have. Nice guy and then a good friend, but the songs did not have the punch I wanted. Dark Matter included a pro drummer and the songs were more of what I wanted - just the recording quality was not as good as I wanted since he/the drummer was just setting up his studio and using me as his learning curve. After that cd, I recorded 4 instrumental albums - Later Days (2010), Fading from View (2011), Pastoral Elegy (2014), and the latest, The Road Goes On (2015). These last 4 cds contain instrumental tunes that range from solo piano, electronica-styles, ambient, and New Age sort of stuff - all melodic in style and just whatever I seem to come up with that captures a snapshot of my life during that recording time period.

To get samples of each album, you can check out my CD Baby page = http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Offramp (not that I am asking for anyone to buy anything, but all of the albums are there and on iTunes). thanks again for the interest and I seem to recall someone from Windsor, NJ (jpprogbear) buying a cd some time back if you purchased it from CD Baby! Thanks for your support and interest

I liked the samples of the "the Road Goes On", Chris.
    I admire your abilities and discipline.
    I'll check out some of the other titles and just might plunk down my ducats to purchase one.

Thank you Gizmotron as I appreciate your interest. I love creating and recording music but not very comfortable promoting it. I hope you enjoy whatever you discover regarding my Offramp as that would be a nice feeling to have. Thanks again~

I listened to most samples on four of the albums, Chris. I like the range of styles, textures, and instruments. I see what you mean; Dark Matter and Offramp have a rock feel...excellent drums on the former (but I felt the drums were still quite good on the latter). I also liked the more lyrical, lush sound of the other albums. And good to hear drums on those albums. A very nice range!

Sounds like a real piano on the recordings. Yes?

You deserve to be promoted more.

Not real piano - for the earliest album, I used the Roland JV-90 and a Roland rack module. For Dark Matter, I used the Yamaha S90ES and now I use the Korg Kronos and or recent high-rate samples that my buddy has for his studio. Thanks for the support and comments! I am excited to get into some longer, prog-like rock songs but time is the great enemy for such things. I have a lot of songs sketched out and even rerecorded two songs from the first album in 2001 for a future release. Just takes so much time amid having a job and such. But I do appreciate your interest and support ~

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner23 View Post
    Not real piano - for the earliest album, I used the Roland JV-90 and a Roland rack module. For Dark Matter, I used the Yamaha S90ES and now I use the Korg Kronos and or recent high-rate samples that my buddy has for his studio. Thanks for the support and comments! I am excited to get into some longer, prog-like rock songs but time is the great enemy for such things. I have a lot of songs sketched out and even rerecorded two songs from the first album in 2001 for a future release. Just takes so much time amid having a job and such. But I do appreciate your interest and support ~
    Thanks for the info. (I'd love that Kronos!) I thought all of the piano sounds I encountered on my little sampling binge sounded great. And I loved the one or two instances when the dreamy reverb reminded me of Harold Budd/Eno.

So you have a regular job AND you have been this productive? Kudos to you! You will help motivate me to get going.

The Kronos has good piano sounds but my friend who has the studio prefers the samples so it depends on if I record songs to my Tascam DP24 or at his studio. Too much MIDI manipulation sometimes contributes to losing some of the organic feel of playing something live but it is not always easy to get a crisp piano sound that doesn't spike or create frequency problems. If I had the extra cash, I would update the Kronos to its newer version or go back to Yamaha - but for now, I will stick with what I have. Yes, the job interferes with creativity and the time I wish I could spend attempting to get better at playing, writing, and recording - but I am glad I am able to get done what I have so far and wish to continue making more music for the handful of people that are familiar with my Offramp project (there appears to be more than one Offramp out there). So, yeah, whatever motivation my music can provide is cool and I hope you are prolific with your upcoming musical projects!