Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant

Guess I was fortunate to have this album as my introduction to Gentle Giant.. Still find parts of it most enjoyable.. Remember loving the album cover at the time..

I like the sound of it. It had a nice fat roomy production they lost on later albums. Kerry had the Leslie sounding like it was going to catch fire, like Tony Kaye... later GG albums were far better musically but production-wise they got a little prissy

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Guess I was fortunate to have this album as my introduction to Gentle Giant.. Still find parts of it most enjoyable.. Remember loving the album cover at the time..
    Same here. I kind of thought this was what the band would sound like, and kind of liked it. For me, Acquiring the Taste was a disappointment. (Though my opinion of the latter may have been colored by that awful effing cover.)
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I had to go listen to this on Youtube and I forgot how good it is. Nothing at All is an amazing song (despite that improv; nice in concert but pointless on the album imho); Giant is stellar; Isn't it Quiet and Cold is great- I like that the rock roots still showed on this album. The end of Why Not shows why GG was different from most other prog bands; they could be twee and complex but they could also play the damn blues. I mean, God bless Yes and Genesis and Crimson and the rest but imagine them playing that song, and especially the 12-bar at the end. It would be a disaster. GG was (if they chose to be) a better blues band than Deep Purple. And then they chose not to do it, apart from an occasional gary Green solo. That is the most epic win in prog.

I think I just discovered a great truth of life: the secret to rock is to be able to play a great blues but never actually punish your audience by actually playing it. Except maybe once.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    That is the most epic win in prog.
    That could be the topic of a whole other thread...which we would all be better off without.

I'm guessing you are not a fan of Hackett's Blues with a Feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    That could be the topic of a whole other thread...which we would all be better off without.

I'm guessing you are not a fan of Hackett's Blues with a Feeling.
    Have not heard it, actually... will check it out. Not sure if I can picture Steve playing Teh Bluez...

The end of Why Not shows why GG was different from most other prog bands; they could be twee and complex but they could also play the damn blues.
    I know Gary's original background was as a blues/blues rock guitarist. So, i think there's a lot of factual back up in what you say.

I think I just discovered a great truth of life: the secret to rock is to be able to play a great blues but never actually punish your audience by actually playing it. Except maybe once.

So, this is the most profound thing you have learned from lack of song lyrics, then?
    Last edited by Steve F.; 11-06-2015 at 08:49 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Gary Green could/can play a blues solo in the middle of a Beethoven symphony, and it would fit perfectly !

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Gary Green could/can play a blues solo in the middle of a Beethoven symphony, and it would fit perfectly !
    Exactly. I alsways love that, you get counterpoint, counterpoint, Bartok, ok Gary, solo and he's like, screw you guys! Pentatonic scale and a wah-wah!

Gary Green could/can play a blues solo in the middle of a Beethoven symphony
    His freakout during the 2nd part of "Peel the Paint" discloses once and for all that Green stems from the Hendrix/Clapton/Peter Green school of rock guitar - rather than the Beck/Fripp/Hackett one.

I always loved G. Green's playing. His textures were both discreet *AND* absolutely decisive and substantial to the final outcome of a part.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think whether someone enjoys the second half of the debut depends a lot on whether they appreciate the blues. I know that's a big reason why I don't care much for it but like the first half. On the other hand, I do like Gary's bluesy playing in a non-blues environment on a lot of GG songs. His solo over the whole tone scale in "The House, The Street, The Room" is a great example.

Ha- yep!
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Green brought the balls they so desperately needed.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Maybe so, but he better not attempt it. Beethoven would roll over for sure.

And sing:
    Roll me over, lay me down
    And do it again.

I'm listening to it right now because of this thread. I think it's brilliant. It's as proggy as anything they ever did. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm listening to it right now because of this thread.

I personally like it more than any of the post-Free Hand albums. I think even their most universally accepted 'worst album' Giant For A Day isn't a total throwaway.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post

I personally like it more than any of the post-Free Hand albums. I think even their most universally accepted 'worst album' Giant For A Day isn't a total throwaway.

mmmhhh!!!....FWIW:

top three: Octopus, IAGH, Interview
    then: ATT, debut
    then: 3F, TP&TG, FH
    the rest: but MP (for mainly the final track) and Civilian more than GfaD
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I played Three Friends too. Those two albums (1 and 3) tend to be sort of forgotten for me. It was cool to play them again. The first album was better than I thought. It'd been probably 10 years since I played it. I really think it's as brilliant as anything they've done. Well, I'll rank it above the post-IAGH albums. I know, TP&TG gets rated very highly. I like it but not more than the first album. Nothing At All is whacked (in a good way). Yeah they padded the song out but it's insane. Whoever heard of someone playing a classical piano piece over a rock/drum solo? Great, great band. Just brilliant musicians. No tricks, fakery, or slight of hand, just brilliant, creative musicians. Often imitated, never equaled. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin. I'll say it again, the first 5 albums are their best albums (imo). Of the three that came after In A Glass House, my favorite is Free Hand. I guess it's time for me to go on a GG binge.

Their first is way better than the two last (which means that AT is way way better than the two last).

Personally I rate Interview over Free Hand, but I think I'm a minority here on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Green brought the balls they so desperately needed.
    I would also say that once John Weathers joined, he also gave them the kick (pun intended) they needed. I love the power and feel he added to their music. The busier/jazzier? drumming on the releases prior to Pugwash just don't sound as good to me. And I do agree that Gary also added balls to the band. He came up with some great stuff over the years. What amazes me when listening is how cohesive the music is, so well composed for each instrument. And when you focus on one instrument, you wonder how does this work with everything else? But, it always does....just great writing.

I do like most of this album, I think it's an incredible debut
    Last edited by eporter66; 11-07-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Personally I rate Interview over Free Hand, but I think I'm a minority here on that.
    Probably, but I'm with you. I love every song on Interview, whereas Free Hand has "Time to Kill" and "Mobile" which are just okay.
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I totally rate Interview over Free Hand. FH may have a couple higher peaks but Interview is consistently excellent and it's heavier and weirder. OK, Give It Back is a bit of a lull, but it's still ok.

Interview is a *great* album IMO! I'd rank it alongside Free Hand. That is, I like both a lot, but not quite as much as my favourite period (Acquiring/Three Friends/Octopus).

As for the debut album, "Giant" is a killer opener! And "Funny Ways" is a pretty classic GG track. I like the rest of the album too, but it fails to compare well with what followed.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Probably, but I'm with you. I love every song on Interview, whereas Free Hand has "Time to Kill" and "Mobile" which are just okay.
    nice to see more Interview or FH fans
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    (Which is to say I love the rest of Free Hand beyond those two mediocre tunes.)
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-