Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream Theater- The Astonishing

Dream Theater- The Astonishing

Over on DT forum everyone is talking about the new "rock opera" album that Dream Theater are releasing early next year! The Astonishing is the rather odd title of the album,and they've also confirmed some European dates for Feb-March where they will be performing the album in its entirety! Sounds really interesting………

Rumour has it that it's a double album. Hoping for a surprise or two this time around. And also hoping that any epic tracks do not descend into hokey, swaying, lighter-waving power ballad material. "Illumination Theory" had some great stuff for the first two-thirds, and then...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Illumination Theory" had some great stuff for the first two-thirds, and then...
    I'm a softie, I love all of that. I think the little piano-guitar bit at the very end helps offset the "maudlin" nature of that finale.

Yeah, after the dross of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings, to the "meh" nature of A Dramatic Turn of Events, they scored a lot higher with the self-titled album if only for "Illumination Theory" alone. I actually felt like that song could have been a little longer; they'd finally worked out how to develop epic musical themes with decent lyrics (as opposed to "Boo! I'm an Italian guy with a big scary house!"). So I'm very optimistic about the new one.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I liked Systematic Chaos, but they kind of lost me with Black Clouds... And I pretty much gave up with the one with the clown on the cover. I couldn't get through that one once.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-02-2015 at 10:48 PM.

I haven't seen them with Mangini but I do have both dvd's from the last two tours and it just isn't the same without Portnoy. I don't find Mangini as creative as Portnoy and he doesn't even play the old stuff correctly at times.

Like 6:00 A.M. That pishy sounding cymbal contraption, that I have no idea what it's called but really would like to know, isn't there. If Portnoy could play it with four limbs, why can't he? He wants to add some cool fills, that's alright, but he hasn't and don't take things away that should be there.

Oh well, it is what it is. I'd still go see them live but it's just not the same. Hope they get it better, at least, than the last two although the second isn't all that bad.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

BTW, The Astonishing is either a great title or a terrible one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's terrible.

Given Petrucci's often cringe-worthy lyrics, I can't see how the "concept" for this won't be completely silly. But, we'll see. I liked their last two much more than the last two with Portnoy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Count me ready. I've liked the last 2 albums with Mangini. I dont know if DT can do any wrong in my book. They are all such great musicians, and even when the songs arent that strong, for me the individual performances often obscure the effects of a weaker song. Of course I am not a hater of melody, so the "pussy" songs some people complain about, I find compelling. Some DT critics seem to want every song to have great big sweaty hairy balls and anything that varies from that theme is an insult. I like the band that DT has become.

I really think Mangini has made DT a netter band. The "frantic-ness" of earlier albums seems to be gone as Mangini makes the drums sound easy. He is a much more "relaxed" sounding drummer than Portnoy. I have been surprised at how much more musical the band has become.

Yeah, I could do with a real strong double length rock opera. I just cant get enough rock opera.

Have they made Myung more audible on the last couple of albums? I remember that was a big problem for a while.

Have they made Myung more audible on the last couple of albums?
    Not really, no. This is one of several problems with the DT sound these days.

DT listeners all seem to agree that there's something wrong with their direction, but don't agree on what. For example, I thought A Dramatic Turn Of Events was one of their best albums (up there with Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Scenes From A Memory) but they definitely need a rethink. I found the Breaking The Fourth Wall video irritating as well because you couldn't hear the orchestra properly. Rarely has a band found itself in a more questionable creative position to start work on a concept double-album.

Its an astonishing title that's for sure.

^It's asking for an 'I'll be the judge of that' review!

It's the same as with the new Star Wars film - we'll have to wait and see

skeptical... expecting power ballads. They should go darker Awake-like, Train-like. I'm not preordering this one sure as. revisited Infinity the other day... that's when Myung had his best mix!

Have they made Myung more audible on the last couple of albums? I remember that was a big problem for a while.
    Yeah, that's never going to happen. I couldn't tell you why but after all these years I don't see them changing. I guess Myung ain't too bothered by it. Maybe he just doesn't care.

I found the Breaking The Fourth Wall video irritating as well because you couldn't hear the orchestra properly.
    I also said the same thing about that Kansas dvd with the orchestra, I can't hear them. Why even bother having them if they aren't going to show up on the recording?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Yeah, that's never going to happen. I couldn't tell you why but after all these years I don't see them changing. I guess Myung ain't too bothered by it. Maybe he just doesn't care.
    I've struggled to hear him on the albums and I've struggled to hear him live, right in front of me. They do tend to suffer from Metallica "And Justice For All" syndrome. Loud, crunching guitars and drums, but the knobs in the studio that say "Myung" turned way down when mixing. And live, I can see that he's playing some wild stuff, but he's drowned out so often. Must be frustrating for the young bass players in the audience!

These guys are chock full of talent, but I've said for years that they would really benefit from a producer who knows his stuff. Someone who would say "No" when Petrucci and Rudess want to bloat almost every track on every album with blistering tradeoff solo sections that last for several minutes.

But hey, who knows? This one could be a real killer! I'll be optimistic. The last one was much better than the one before it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    These guys are chock full of talent, but I've said for years that they would really benefit from a producer who knows his stuff. Someone who would say "No" when Petrucci and Rudess want to bloat almost every track on every album with blistering tradeoff solo sections that last for several minutes.
    This has been their problem for a long time now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Even more maddening to me is the "let's stop the song for two or four bars and let Rudess play some ridiculous piano ditty that has nothing at all to do with the song". You are right, they need another voice in the studio.

Also, is it just me or did they have many more varied keys sounds with Sherinian? At least he played Hammond, which Rudess basically doesn't do but it seems to me that most of Jordan's sounds kinda suck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Also, is it just me or did they have many more varied keys sounds with Sherinian? At least he played Hammond, which Rudess basically doesn't do but it seems to me that most of Jordan's sounds kinda suck.
    I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought that Sherinian was perfectly suited for DT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Not really, no. This is one of several problems with the DT sound these days.
    Has anyone actually LISTENED to the self-titled album? Myung is WAY more audible there. He has a thicker, meatier sound all around.

Last edited by ThomasKDye; 11-03-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought that Sherinian was perfectly suited for DT.
    I've always liked him. And since he's been out of DT, he's done some terrific stuff.

Speaking of former DT keyboardists, I wish OSI would do another album. THAT would get me excited.

I've had no trouble hearing Myung after Mangini joined the band. Portnoy preferred a flabbier bass drum sound and as the producer he always seemed to make sure that it got pushed up in the mix, leaving little room for the bass.

I think rudess' work on the first 4 or so albums He was on was just stellar, esp. SOAM and Octavarium, but He's done nothing innovative or original since.