Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream Theater- The Astonishing

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've always liked him. And since he's been out of DT, he's done some terrific stuff.
    To be honest, I think people would have thought he was pretty samey. He certainly loves that guitar patch, which is kinda his signature. All I know is that while he was in the band fans wanted Jordan.

I'm one of those in the minority that loves SC. Personally, it was one of the best albums they did in a long time. At the same time, the band probably needed a change. I'm not sure if Mangini is what they needed.
    Last edited by TheLongshot; 11-06-2015 at 09:48 AM.

I couldn't stop laughing at the concept, and I'm a pretty big fan. The Velveeta factor is off the charts! It sounds like it was thought up by a bunch of 7th grade boys. General Nefaryus? ("clever" spelling) Oh well. I hope there are more instrumental passages than usual. : )

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    General Nefaryus?
    Lucas-worthy. But I'll still take it over "The Count of Tuscany."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

It looks like a video game!

"Emperor Nafaryus"?

Oy vey.

Even Arjen Lucassen would call this whole thing "too cheesy".

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    "Emperor Nafaryus"?

Oy vey.

Even Arjen Lucassen would call this whole thing "too cheesy".
    Is Emperor Nafaryus nefarious?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight View Post
    The concept behind the new album is starting to be revealed....

http://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing

Even at this early stage this looks appalling.

My hope is that this is all just a big goof.

2. Dystopian Overture
    3. The Gift of Music
    My "Didn't Rush do this in 1976" alarm bells are going off in my head. But it's still early.

This is shaping up to be more like The Abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought that Sherinian was perfectly suited for DT.
    In hindsight, having listened to his solo albums and the stuff he's contributed to Relocator and Planet X, you're absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    I'm one of those in the minority that loves SC. Personally, it was one of the best albums they did in a long time. At the same time, the band probably needed a change. I'm not sure if Mangini is what they needed.
    I really liked it too, with the exception of "The Ministry Of Lost Souls" (it's okay, but drags somewhat). Speaking of this album and being in the minority, my favourite track they've ever done is "Repentance". "Constant Motion" is a great track, and I think the two-part epic is very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    My "Didn't Rush do this in 1976" alarm bells are going off in my head. But it's still early.
    I have to admit, I thought the exact same thing when I saw "The Gift Of Music"!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I don't know. Call me stuck in the 70's. Call me blind to shtick. Call me deaf to musical cheese. But I'm kind of excited for what may be the contents of this Velveeta package. Time will tell.

My favorite DT song is "Octavarium".

Come at me, bros.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If I pass Mike Portnoy on Cruise to the Edge, I'm going say "The Astonishing" just to see what his reaction is.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    This is shaping up to be more like The Abysmal.

Highlander 5: The Astonishing

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    I couldn't stop laughing at the concept, and I'm a pretty big fan. The Velveeta factor is off the charts! It sounds like it was thought up by a bunch of 7th grade boys. General Nefaryus? ("clever" spelling) Oh well. I hope there are more instrumental passages than usual. : )
    And hopefully 3 times as many notes!

Nice to see Burt Reynolds working again, this time in the role of General Nefaryus...

… I'll get off the hate train for the moment. I mean, yes. "General Nafaryus" is… not… promising…? but maybe it'll work on some level as an allegory. And maybe it will be fun if you turn off your mind and sort of enjoy the cheese space-opera-epic-ness. I don't know. "Snow" was pretty trite, too, but it had some good songs in it.

Honestly, I'm not sure when I last enjoyed a "rock opera." I can't get into Ayreon because the myriad singers robs their albums of cohesion (in my opinion).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Ass Tarnishing

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I have no idea what's the difference between Portnoy and Mangini, I'm no drumming expert. I regularly see on forums or on youtube the seemingly endless cries how Portnoy was great and how Mangini just doesn't have it.

But I think there is a difference when comparing some keyboard players of different eras in various bands. On the other hand, on one of these DT threads someone said something along the lines of "If someone believes that a keyboard player within a band makes any difference..." (and so on, I don't remember the rest of it). I suppose each keys player has his own experience how much of his own preferences he can get on to the record. My guess is that since Portnoy left Rudess has been given more space with his symphonic stuff, but while Portnoy was there all three of their keys players just followed the song and had little inserts/ideas of their own included on the albums. But this is just speculation.
    Part of it is visual. Mangini being ambidextrous, or semi, whatever, makes him look likes he's not doing much. Being a drummer I'm ashamed to admit that, even if it goes under the title of showmanship which is part of the deal - which goes both ways. He's a monster and looks as if he's doing very little. This is rock & roll, not let's go home and have a beer. On all video's and shows I've ever seen from DT, Portnoy was all in and showed it. I do think the setup of Mangini's kit has a bit or more to do with it. That ambidextrous stuff just looks unimpressive to most everyone. Not unlike you, no offense. You don't know and that's not a crime.

Portnoy did things like playing a piece, then playing it again with a little more added then expanding upon that for even more. Makes a song more dramatic. Maybe not better, but more dramatic works for me most times. Mangini has done almost nothing in regards to exciting drum lines.

Let me put it this way. I'm a drummer. Not trained, at all. Yet I can pull off more Mangini patterns better than Portnoy's. Yet, I still say Mangini has more natural talent than Portnoy but it's all in how one approaches a song and Portnoy has done it much better.

ETA: Portnoy, and DT, were the drummer I wanted to be and the band I wanted to be in, before I ever heard of DT. Well, to be honest, I wanted to be Neil Peart who also wrote lyrics before I ever wanted to be MP, but I heard the DT style of rock in my head before I ever heard them. I just failed in the execution. Hence why I probably have a bias.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 11-07-2015 at 03:49 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Part of it is visual. Mangini being ambidextrous, or semi, whatever, makes him look likes he's not doing much. Being a drummer I'm ashamed to admit that, even if it goes under the title of showmanship which is part of the deal - which goes both ways. He's a monster and looks as if he's doing very little. This is rock & roll, not let's go home and have a beer. On all video's and shows I've ever seen from DT, Portnoy was all in and showed it. I do think the setup of Mangini's kit has a bit or more to do with it. That ambidextrous stuff just looks unimpressive to most everyone. Not unlike you, no offense. You don't know and that's not a crime.

Portnoy did things like playing a piece, then playing it again with a little more added then expanding upon that for even more. Makes a song more dramatic. Maybe not better, but more dramatic works for me most times. Mangini has done almost nothing in regards to exciting drum lines.

Let me put it this way. I'm a drummer. Not trained, at all. Yet I can pull off more Mangini patterns better than Portnoy's. Yet, I still say Mangini has more natural talent than Portnoy but it's all in how one approaches a song and Portnoy has done it much better.

ETA: Portnoy, and DT, were the drummer I wanted to be and the band I wanted to be in, before I ever heard of DT. Well, to be honest, I wanted to be Neil Peart who also wrote lyrics before I ever wanted to be MP, but I heard the DT style of rock in my head before I ever heard them. I just failed in the execution. Hence why I probably have a bias.
    When I see Portnoy or Mangini in live videos the only difference I notice is their different behavior. I can't comment on their technical/playing differences. If I like a drummer I hesitate to say if I would be able to make some sensible comments about what I like. On a side note, I'm not familiar with DT's catalogue from A to Z, there could be songs which I've listened to only a couple times. So not seeing the differences between Mangini and Portnoy could be explained by this.
    Since you mentioned Rush, I think that is a band which is strong on all fronts, much more tight and balanced than DT. I can easily understand where the praise for all three of the members comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    My favorite DT song is "Octavarium".

Come at me, bros.
    +1

It's amusing to me to see people on this board of all places criticising The Astonishing in anticipation of its bonkers plot. There are very few plots in the Prog world that aren't embarrassing.

"DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE MOMENTOUS 2016 EUROPEAN TOUR
    DEBUTING NEW ALBUM LIVE IN ITS ENTIRETY"

Ticket secured (Stockholm show March 2) - what could possible go wrong?!?
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx