Thread: Bored with your current fare....

Bored with your current fare....

....well then here are just ten bands old and new that you could listen to for just a few minutes to discover some very different style combos and perhaps provide inspiration or some new faves:
    Flesh God Apocalypse
    Urga
    Laibach
    Gogol Bordello
    Cardiacs
    NSRO
    Apocalyptica
    Dub Syndicate
    Faust
    Doomsword

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ....well then here are just ten bands old and new that you could listen to for just a few minutes to discover some very different style combos and perhaps provide inspiration or some new faves:
    Flesh God Apocalypse
    Urga
    Laibach
    Gogol Bordello
    Cardiacs
    NSRO
    Apocalyptica
    Dub Syndicate
    Faust
    Doomsword
    Just saw Apocalyptica for the first time earlier in the year and was very impressed. They put on a great show.

Never heard Flesh God Apocalypse, Urga or Doomsword. Can you describe the music of those three? I assume Doomsword is a polka group.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Suspended
    Frankly, for me with names like Doomsword, Flesh God Apocalypse and Apocalyptica, the bands are guilty until proven innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Frankly, for me with names like Doomsword, Flesh God Apocalypse and Apocalyptica, the bands are guilty until proven innocent.

I can vouch for Laibach, Cardiacs, Dub Syndicate and Faust, though.

How about these ones?

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just saw Apocalyptica for the first time earlier in the year and was very impressed. They put on a great show.
    I too saw them for the first time at a summer metal festival a few months ago. I was surprised that their triple cello and drums line up was bolstered by a bass (guitar) player. If I'm entirely honest though, I prefer them on disc to live, as for my ears anyway the nuances of the triple cello interplay got lost in the outdoor live setting.

Apocalyptica, I'm afraid, figure amongst the most unconsciously campy musical groups I ever experienced. Glad to hear how others have a different view on them.

You know, there's a story from back in the late 90s of the occasion when a guy (I believe one of the Höry-Kone/Alamaailman folks) introduced one of the Apocalyptica cellists to the music of Univers Zero (or Art Zoyd, I can't recall), apparently prompting the latter to reconsider his perception that somehow Metallica were supposed to constitute the uppermost "classical" in rock music. Bizarre.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Never heard Flesh God Apocalypse, Urga or Doomsword. Can you describe the music of those three? I assume Doomsword is a polka group.
    Flesh God Apocalypse = a real treat, this is real classical music mixed with death metal....a must listen!
    Urga = gypsy-techno-folk-foreign language-punk-polka-klezmer
    Doomsword = melodic, bombastic Italian doom metal

...or flesh sword..perhaps ....I think that says more about your mind Bob, than about the groups per se

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Flesh God Apocalypse = a real treat, this is real classical music mixed with death metal....a must listen!
    Urga = gypsy-techno-folk-foreign language-punk-polka-klezmer
    Doomsword = melodic, bombastic Italian doom metal
    Thanks. Of the three, Urga sounds the most interesting. I'll have to check them out.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Some Ska beats in there as well