Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Albums you bought that your parents owned

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I've bought some albums that my grandmother had - Sinatra and the like. Since she grew up in the big band era she could appreciate jazz and had some of Coltrane's mellower albums, like My Favorite Things.

My parents bought 90125 and So in the 80's, but weren't interested in the 70's material from those artists.
    Wow, you must be really, really young then.

Gene Krupa
    Django Reinhardt
    Louis Armstrong
    Count Basie
    George Gershwin
    John Coltrane
    Dave Brubeck
    Duke Ellington
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    My dad would never have liked any of my music so I didn't bother letting him hear it. My mom occasionally showed interest when overhearing some things but never specifically said that she liked it. I had Yes "And You and I" on once and she asked if it was from "Godspell", which I was playing bass guitar in for a church production at the time. Another time she asked about one of the early Peter Frampton solo albums I was playing. In her later years (over 70) she would watch some concerts on TV, saw Stevie Ray Vaughn and thought it was fantastic. Another time I caught her watching an Iggy Pop concert! Even if she didn't like it, I guess it was one of those things where you just can't look away!
    For my dad he has Palladia and Axis on his cable system and that seems to be where he has been exposed to a lot of this stuff. He sees things that he absolutely hates, but it has turned him on to a lot of stuff too that he completely dismissed in his younger days. I guess the two channels have had the same impact on me as well.

Suspended
    I'd hazard a guess that those whose parents listened to late 60s/early 70s stuff are more likely that others to appreciate what their parents liked.

As has been documented many times, Steven Wilson's early musical efforts were heavily influenced by two albums that his parents owned: DSOTM, and "Love To Love You Baby" by Donna Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I remember when I was a teenager my dad decided to pop in one of my records just to see what it was. He came up to my room and asked, "'Snot is running down his nose?' What the hell are you listening to?"
    I can picture my mother doing the same with The Lamb... and getting to Counting Out Time and the lines "Erogenous zones, I love you"... she was shocked enough I snuck in some GFs in my room for the night, but me listening to smut...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Here are a few I don't plan on buying. My mother loved Johnny Mathis, and Tom Jones. I also remember she had this album of piano music. One track was called "The Falling Leaves" or something. Funny thing is, when I was a kid I'd listen to all these records (especially the Whipped Cream And Other Delights). Yeah, I listened to top-40 radio, Beatles, Stones, etc., but in the apartment all we had were those Johnny Mathis records to listen to. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to that stuff today, but for nostalgia's sake they'd probably be a kick to listen to now.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I can picture my mother doing the same with The Lamb... and getting to Counting Out Time and the lines "Erogenous zones, I love you"... she was shocked enough I snuck in some GFs in my room for the night, but me listening to smut...
    Good thing she never made it as far as "Don't delay, dock the dick!"

Those I remember

Stravinsky - Le Sacre (Bernstein)
    Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (Eugen Jochum)
    J.S. Bach - Brandenburger Concertos (dont recall the conductor or orchestra)
    Jan Johansson - Jazz på Svenska ("Jazz in Swedish")
    Debussy - Piano stuff, dont remember the title, but Noel Lee is the pianist)

There are more...

my dad usually bought 'best of' or 'greatest hits' albums because he believed he was getting the 'best of' whomever it was. Even though he was wrong, I respect him for that. And this song is dedicated to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4dX...el=THIAGOSILVA

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I remember when I was a teenager my dad decided to pop in one of my records just to see what it was. He came up to my room and asked, "'Snot is running down his nose?' What the hell are you listening to?"
    Two things I remember not playing if my parents were around:

"God damn the pusher" - Steppenwolf
    "I will love the cops as they beat the shit out of me" - The Mothers of Invention

What's funny is that compared to the smut and cursing you hear on mainstream radio today (mostly rap), that stuff was nothing!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

"I will love the cops as they beat the shit out of me" - The Mothers of Invention

What's funny is that compared to the smut and cursing you hear on mainstream radio today (mostly rap), that stuff was nothing!
    When "Snoopy vs the Red Baron" was on the hit charts in Australia, the radio stations bleeped out the word "bloody".
    Fast forward to 2015, and not only do I hear the F word frequently on radio, but even the C word on occasion (and I'm not referring to "crap").

My folks didn't have a very large record collection and having both been born sometime in the 1920's (I was born in the 60's) their tastes and mine ran counter to say the least. However there is one album they had that I also own. It's one of the Mahalia Jackson Christmas albums. I heard that album as a kid, loved it, still love it to this day. It also takes me back to when Christmas was such a special, exciting time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

How about your mum hearing Joe's Garage?

rotflmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great topic although I can't say I have much to offer as my parents were born in the twenties. I do have a few shared albums and some of their music I wouldn't have touched when I was younger, appeals to me now. The one I will play the most is Bob Sharples Pass In Review. It's a military marching band album that uses stereo to good effect. It actually charted in the early 60's! Couldn't imagine anything like this getting any playtime today.

My Dad also had some Ink Stops singles and I have a greatest hits album of theirs. Tommy Dorsey and Mitch Miller are some of the greatest hits albums that I picked up over the years.

My Mom loved opera so there is nothing that I overlap with her. She did like some of my collection, namely Elton John and Genesis. And I was able to introduce her to some classical music. The only thing that she ever requested by name was Genesis' The Brazilian. My room was upstairs so often I would see the flashing hallway lights, which was code for Turn that Shit Off! Now If the door was shut so I couldn't see the lights, and they were yelling, I was pretty close to being in trouble. If I didn't hear them and they came upstairs, well that wasn't good. Except for that one Genesis song which I got repeated requests for!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    When "Snoopy vs the Red Baron" was on the hit charts in Australia, the radio stations bleeped out the word "bloody".
    Snoopy is still played every Christmas in mine and my siblings home. Can't have Christmas w/o Snoopy and the Red Baron! Brings back great memories.

Suspended
    I was a bit gobsmacked some time in the 1970's when my aunt, who was the oldest in my mother's family, unmarried, very active in the Methodist church and pretty conservative in every way (or so I thought), let it drop that she actually quite liked Elton John, and had even made a point of being in the city when he was making some kind of public appearance. This was when Elton was still considered very cool, long before his MOR period.

She didn't have a record player of any description. I'm not sure if she even had a transistor radio, she probably still listened on Grandpa's old valve radio.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-06-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Never mind someone's Mum, when I heard JG I thought the lyrics were revolting and puerile (in Acts II and III, anyway). I got used to them, but at the same time, I now just concentrate on Act I and ignored the others (apart from "Watermelon in Easter Hay").
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

My Dad was born in'35 and my Mom in '36 both they were pretty damned hip in the 60's and 70's. I remember them listening to The Mothers Of Invention, Chicago Transit Authority, Blood Sweat & Tears, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, The Doors, Led Zeppelin and. of course, the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack. That one scared the hell out of me - especially the 39 lashes. Yikes!
    The Prog Corner

I had moved out of my parents' home a half a decade prior to it's release.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere

Kansas - Point of Know Return

Cool, eh?

None, but my dad bought an Achim Reichel album I own.

I just remembered the other album they had, that I bought.
    Erroll Garner - Concert By The Sea
    A true classic, just beautiful music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain