Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Albums you bought that your parents owned

I can’t really think of anything other than some classical music. My parents were just old enough that they were pre-rock n roll for the most part (although my father saw Bill Haley And The Comets in concert at some point). Growing up he had a lot of crooners, jazz and bluegrass albums, but nothing that I ever explored much further. What is interesting is that in recent years he has come around to like some of the music that I grew up with. I have even taken him to see Fleetwood Mac, Trans Siberian Orchestra (which totally blew him away), Gordon Lightfoot, Bella Fleck and others in recent years and he owns albums by all of them now. My father is 84 and back in the summer apparently he had Palladia on and goes “I saw this band on TV that I thought were really good…….they were called Umphry’s something” What he had seen was Umphrey’s McGee’s live from Red Rocks concert. I told him I have seen them several times. When I was growing up he hated most of the music I listened to, but he has come to like some of it in his senior years.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    My dad was in The Chicago Symphony Orchestra and classical albums were about the only kind of albums my parents owned, aside from some Jewish comedy records and Alan Sherman. I own several of the CSO albums my dad played on (and some he didn't), mostly from the Reiner and Solti eras.
    Did your father play on the Dvorak symphony No. 9 conducted by Solti? It's a great recording! I think it was released about 30 years ago?

I think my parents bought two albums when I was growing up. A Neil Diamond album, and Carole King's Tapestry. I don't own them.

Suspended
    ^^^ There was a joke going around in the 1970's that when a couple underwent divorce proceedings the biggest issue was who got to keep Hot August Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    This is easy: Nothing
    !I'd be tempted to say the same, but not completely so

My mom and dad were 37 and 38 when I started buying music in 74 when I was 11.

My mom was into music hall music and mainly the French-type : Brel, Brassens , Piaf, Montand, Trenet and Chevalier ... and Marlene as well. But she was more modern as well in Chanson Française as well.

My dad was fairly jazz & blues , but it was very New Orleans-y (including Ella & Satchmo >> not really N-O, I know) and big-band-ish (Ellington, Miller and Basie), but by the time I started paying attention to his records, he was mostly into classical music.
    Never saw anything remotely close to Bop or Post-Bop in his record collection (no Davis, Coltrane, Parker, Mingus, etc...), so he wasn't a hipster by the time of the 60's. The Blues stuff he owned was Jimmy Rushing and Big Bill Broonzy.
    Though he did still belong to a jazz organisation by the late 60's and Memphis Slim came to sleep at our house, when I was three or four - and the first time I touched (pinched , actually) a black man was Rashaan's bassist in a small café concert.
    However there were two UFO's in his collection: Stand Up and the Hair Broadway musical OST... Guess which two of his albums I played constantly??

So yes, though I now own both albums, I did buy Stand Up three or four time since (1st gen CD, Mini-Lp and the expanded 3 Cd/DVd thingie... And I had bought the Hair movie OST in vinyl and since in CD and own the DVD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    When I was at high schools one of my friends Dad's record collection was full of Hendrix, Soft Machine, Floyd, Crimson, Beatles, Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin. We thought he was the coolest Dad in town.
    Yup, I'd have dug that from my dad or one of my buddies' dad... But sadly, no such luck

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Time Out - Dave Brubeck
    That one they may have had, I think everyone had it.
    That would be one as well, but TBH, I had passed up on it when a kid/teen...

I'd say my dad bought it on the strength of Take Five, like he bought Stand Up on the strength of Bourée, but he never played the rest of the album.

Actually, he kind of liked some of The Beatles (in the 60's) and later on some stuff like DSOTM or WHWH that I played in the living room or later on when passing by my bedroom(s open door once I had my own Hi-Fi, but he would've never bought that stuff for himself.
    Last edited by Trane; 11-03-2015 at 06:08 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sinatra, Martin, Gillespie, Coltrane, Monk, Brel, Brassens, Ferre, Piaf, Holiday, Fitzgerald, Carpenters, The Beatles, Elton John and some more.

I inherited Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Barry White, Peter Paul & Mary, Gilbert O'Sullivan, James Last, Peter Maffay, Tony Christie, Tom Jones and Kreator.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My Mom was mostly into the sixties folk scene, but she did own these, as she was a Baby Boomer:

The Beatles - Help, Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour
    Kansas - Point of Know Return (she loved "Dust in the Wind"), Audio Visions
    Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night (I actually inherited this)
    Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager

She later got into medieval music so our tastes diverged, but I do credit her for initially getting me into Kansas.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Actually, I can personally take the thread title at face value, because in the late 70s and 80s a lot of the albums I bought were bought for my parents. As regards my father, who was very ill, I bought most of his country and cajun albums for him.

None that I can think of, but he bought a couple that I'd played incessantly in the house - Brain Salad Surgery (I remember playing Karn Evil 9 every morning before school for at least a term), and also And Then There Were Three and Seconds out. He became quite a big Genesis fan in the end, buying the later stuff that I didn't have.

Nothing. My parents were big opera & classical fans. Not interested into anything rock'n'roll.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Mostly classical music. Beethoven's 5th, 6th and 9th were played a lot by my parents. Also my mother liked Chopin and Debussy a lot, the piano music. I bought all that stuff on cd about 20 years ago and still listen to it every now and then.

Regarding non-classical musics, I think they only owned a total of 5 albums: Getz/Gilberto, Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66, and the first three Joan Baez records. I bought the G/G on cd whenever that came out (mid-90s) and a JB compilation. Oh God, I'm forgetting Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass "The Lonely Bull" so they had 6 total. No, I haven't bought that one.

My parents have never been big on buying albums, but during my pre-teen years in the 70s my mom usually had a radio around the house or in the car tuned to a "classic rock" station that also played the more popular proggy stuff (Yes Album, Dark Side of the Moon, etc) which was probably a huge influence on my musical tastes.

My dad has always been a country fan, which didn't stick with me despite his best efforts. He used to make me watch Hee-Haw with him, and we even took a family vacation to the Grand Ole Opry once, but much to his chagrin none of his kids ever developed a taste for country music. Although a few years back I borrowed all his Johnny Cash albums and cobbled together a compilation CDR that is listenable.

The only specific albums I can remember them having that I now own were The White Album (which my mom bought after reading the book "Helter Skelter" about Manson, just to see what the music sounded like), and the ELO compilation "OLE ELO" (which they had on 8-track - I still remember the big "ka-chunk" in the middle of the violin solo during Kuiama). I think mom also had a copy of Chicago's Greatest Hits at some point. And I've got a cassette of C. W. McCall's greatest hits that my dad gave me because I liked the song "Convoy" when I was a little kid. I kept it because the song "Classified" is actually pretty funny.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Time Out - Dave Brubeck
    My Dad was into big band and some be bop which I had no real interest.
    I had been listening to 70's jazz rock/fusion, prog. Teen age rebellion music ( for me, anyhow ).
    One day I was coming up out of my music area in the basement and heard Blue Rondo à la Turk playing. Stopped my in my tracks.
    I know I had heard it before. But it just ckicked. Bought myself a copy soon afterwards.
    Maybe you heard The Nice do it first. I know I did. Theirs was kind of a bastardized version; they "straightened" the meter out and called it "Rondo." I thought it was really cool... until I heard the original Brubeck version.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Did your father play on the Dvorak symphony No. 9 conducted by Solti? It's a great recording! I think it was released about 30 years ago?
    I honestly don't know, Reid. If it was exactly 30 years ago, my dad would've been newly retired from the CSO. I know he recorded a bunch of Mahler with Solti.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I haven't bought it yet but I'm thinking of buying Whipped Cream And Other Delights by Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass.
    Don't think we don't know what you're up to, Vic. You're going to take the album cover and a bottle of lotion into your bedroom with you.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    When I was growing up he hated most of the music I listened to, but he has come to like some of it in his senior years.
    My dad would never have liked any of my music so I didn't bother letting him hear it. My mom occasionally showed interest when overhearing some things but never specifically said that she liked it. I had Yes "And You and I" on once and she asked if it was from "Godspell", which I was playing bass guitar in for a church production at the time. Another time she asked about one of the early Peter Frampton solo albums I was playing. In her later years (over 70) she would watch some concerts on TV, saw Stevie Ray Vaughn and thought it was fantastic. Another time I caught her watching an Iggy Pop concert! Even if she didn't like it, I guess it was one of those things where you just can't look away!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

^ You got me

I'd like to have it anyway just for nostalgia's sake.

That post was for Ernie.

Imagine, telling your parents to "turn that racket down".
    The older I get, the better I was.

My grandmother(who is no longer alive)was a fan of Pink Floyd and David Bowie and to a lesser extent the Moody Blues, Neil Young and probably others. I introduced her to Genesis and King Crimson. She didn't like YES though because of Jon's voice. She died in 1992 at the age of 80.

Albums I bought that my dad had? Most of them (at least at first).

This will be a unique-ish list, as my dad was born in '63 and I was born in '86.

Some ones that I still listen to quite a bit:

-Genesis-Trick of the Tail
    -Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
    -Chicago-Seven
    -Steely Dan-Aja
    -Tears for Fears-Everybody Loves a Happy Ending
    -Marillion-Misplaced Childhood
    -Jadis-More than Meets the Eye
    -Pat Metheny-American Garage
    -Marshall Crenshaw-Best of

He got a used LP copy of Tales from Topographic oceans sometime around 2001 or so. I remember us listening to the chant at the beginning of the record together and thinking "umm, is the whole album going to be like this?" The only albums I'd heard of them were 90125, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Tormato. Those albums sounded so different from each other that it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that this album was a double album of all hippie dippy chants with weird noodling in the background haha. I love that album to this day. My dad, not so much.

I remember in the heyday of Insideout Records, my dad and I would go to Newbury Comics and sometimes get the same cd on the same day. I think we took both of their copies of The Flower Kings' Unfold the Future the day it came out.

Of course, there were albums I turned him on to as well. I'm still working on him to enjoy "The Wake" by IQ (my favorite neo-prog album these days).

My Dad loved Steely Dan to death in the 70s. He had all of their albums on cassette and we listened to them everywhere we went in the car back then. He always loved Bob Dylan, too. He has always talked about seeing Dylan live when he was still an acoustic act during the early 60s.

Library Jon

Not much. Can't remember my Mom ever listening to anything besides Elvis. But I can remember my Dad and I both owning these at different times:

Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits, Circle of Love

Probably some Eric Clapton, Eagles, and the like.

The Pursuit of Happiness - Love Junk (Late '80s Can-Con band. My Dad would have been about 40 when this came out and me about 13.)

[YES- The Yes album (the only thing by them that my dad ever owned)]

I'm not sure how my dad found out about Steely Dan, Santana or most of the other bands he liked back then but probably through the radio. However, as far as the Yes Album goes I don't think he bought it because he heard it on the radio. According to him, some young guy(who may have been a friend of a student of his or maybe was a student)named Mani who was into drugs was raving about the record to my dad. I can just imagine the conversation:" You have to check out this album, man. It's really far out. It's called "the Yes album." I know that's a strange title but it's really great man, you have to check it out. My dad:"Ok, I'll do that. Thanks for the tip." This guy named Mani apparently died several years ago possibly from a drug overdoes(who knows). My dad never bought a single album by Yes again despite claiming that he liked it. My ex step mother who was more age appropriate to be into a progressive rock band(she was 22 years younger than my father)only had "Fragile." I honestly don't understand how someone can claim to like a band like Yes but only ever buy one album. To me that's like sticking your hand in a bag of potato chips only to pull out one potato chip and never touch the bag again. Oh well. To each their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Albums I bought that my dad had? Most of them (at least at first).

This will be a unique-ish list, as my dad was born in '63 and I was born in '86.
    Oh man, I'm feeling old! Your dad is 10 years younger than me.

Thank God I got guys like Progeezer and Adapt2it around!

Cool that all you young'uns are into prog though! Guess you have your parents to thank for that!

My dad recently gave me a box full of old albums. Now I have all the John Denver and Neil Diamond I'll ever need.

I remember when I was a teenager my dad decided to pop in one of my records just to see what it was. He came up to my room and asked, "'Snot is running down his nose?' What the hell are you listening to?"

I've bought some albums that my grandmother had - Sinatra and the like. Since she grew up in the big band era she could appreciate jazz and had some of Coltrane's mellower albums, like My Favorite Things.

My parents bought 90125 and So in the 80's, but weren't interested in the 70's material from those artists.