Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles: A 5 Minute Drum Chronology - amazing video - A must see!

The Beatles: A 5 Minute Drum Chronology - amazing video - A must see!

Wow, really impressive, Ringo was really inventive.

Track List (In order of first release date, not recorded date)
    (1962)
    0:06 - Love Me Do
    0:09 - P.S. I Love You

(1963)
    0:13 - Please Please Me
    0:17 - I Saw Her Standing There
    0:20 - Do You Want to Know a Secret?
    0:22 - From Me to You
    0:24 - Thank You Girl
    0:27 - She Loves You
    0:30 - All My Loving
    0:33 - I Want to Hold Your Hand

(1964)
    0:36 - Can’t Buy Me Love
    0:40 - A Hard Day’s Night
    0:43 - I Should Have Known Better
    0:46 - If I Fell
    0:52 - I’m Happy Just to Dance With You
    0:55 - And I Love Her
    0:59 - I’ll Cry Instead
    1:01 - You Can't Do That
    1:04 - I Feel Fine
    1:07 - She's a Woman
    1:10 - Eight Days a Week
    1:13 - I Don't Want to Spoil the Party

(1965)
    1:18 - Ticket to Ride
    1:22 - Yes it Is
    1:29 - Help!
    1:33 - Yesterday
    1:41 - Day Tripper
    1:45 - We Can Work it Out
    1:47 - Drive My Car
    1:51 - Norwegian Wood
    1:55 - Nowhere Man
    2:01 - Michelle
    2:03 - What Goes On
    2:08 - Girl
    2:10 - In My Life

(1966)
    2:14 - Paperback Writer
    2:18 - Rain
    2:22 - Taxman
    2:24 - Eleanor Rigby
    2:29 - Yellow Submarine
    2:33 - Good Day Sunshine
    2:37 - Got to Get You Into My Life

(1967)
    2:41 - Strawberry Fields Forever
    2:47 - Penny Lane
    2:51 - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
    2:56 - With a Little Help From My Friends
    2:58 - Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
    3:05 - A Day in the Life
    3:11 - All You Need is Love
    3:15 - Baby You're a Rich Man
    3:20 - Hello Goodbye
    3:23 - I Am the Walrus

(1968)
    3:24 - Lady Madonna
    3:29 - Hey Jude
    3:34 - Revolution
    3:39 - Back in the U.S.S.R.
    3:41 - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    3:46 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

(1969)
    3:50 - Get Back
    3:54 - Don't Let Me Down
    3:58 - The Ballad of John and Yoko
    4:02 - Come Together
    4:07 - Something
    4:12 - Octopus’s Garden
    4:15 - Here Come’s the Sun
    4:19 - The End

(1970)
    4:24 - Let it Be
    4:32 - You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)
    4:37 - For You Blue
    4:39 - The Long and Winding Road

(1995)
    4:50 - Free as a Bird

Everytime I go to YouTube this vid is recommended to me but I never watch it. I might as well watch it now.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

If you used this as a barometer for "drum-ness" in Beatles music there's a noticeable drop-off in 1966 that lasts through 1967, but then things pick up again in '68. It's easy to believe Ringo was bored out of his head during the making of Sgt. Peppers.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That was pretty cool.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Amazing how he plays this, going from one song to another. What's interesting about the choices made here is that Paul played drums on Back on the USSR and Ballad of John and Yoko (he didn't play on the Love Me Do single version, but I couldn't tell if this was the single or album version).

I like The Beatles and wish them well in their career, but I didn't like this.

Let It Be after Abbey Road? Free As A Bird at the end? Tin-eared posing.

The pause for Yesterday was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The pause for Yesterday was pretty funny.
    The video was cool, but went up a notch with that portion.

I watched that video when it was posted in the "Beatles: Revolution" thread. The guy sure knows his Ringo-isms, he even played the hi-hat with that weird slicing motion that I've never seen anybody but Ringo do.

Quote Originally Posted by grandinq View Post
    Amazing how he plays this, going from one song to another.
    I think it's edited (and very well at that). How else would he know the exact tempo changes and go from one to the other without the slightest time fluctuation?

However he did it, it was fun!

Very cool. Thanks for posting!

I don't think those time changes are edits; a lot of them happen during the same shot (ie. the time changes often aren't accompanied by a corresponding video cut). Those kind of breakneck changes CAN be internalized with the right amount of rehearsal; in Dweezil's band in the early 90s we did a medley of 200 songs from the 70's and nearly every snippet was a different tempo. We rehearsed it compulsively for months to the point that it sounded like tape edits with all minds acting as one. With this video, the fact that it's just one guy playing to an edited recording that will play the same every time puts the possibility of internalizing those time changes even more within reach. It's an obsessive compulsive endeavor for sure, but doable. I liked this guy's video a lot by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I don't think those time changes are edits; a lot of them happen during the same shot
    That's what I thought. I figured he just rehearsed a lot. I also noticed Ringo's drumming gets less interesting during the Pepper era. A shame he didn't do "She Said, She Said", which I've always thought was one of the few Beatles songs one could 'air drum' to.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I also thought he could have done a cooler section of "Rain" which is practically a drum solo with guitar accompaniment. But let's enjoy what we have

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I also noticed Ringo's drumming gets less interesting during the Pepper era.
    Don't tell that to Phil Collins. "A Day in the Life" was a huge inspiration for him and many others. Yes, you can argue that Ringo ruined Genesis.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I also thought he could have done a cooler section of "Rain" which is practically a drum solo with guitar accompaniment. But let's enjoy what we have
    Yeah I thought that was weird too...

Sweet vid.
    flute juice

I don't think those time changes are edits; a lot of them happen during the same shot (ie. the time changes often aren't accompanied by a corresponding video cut). Those kind of breakneck changes CAN be internalized with the right amount of rehearsal; in Dweezil's band in the early 90s we did a medley of 200 songs from the 70's and nearly every snippet was a different tempo. We rehearsed it compulsively for months to the point that it sounded like tape edits with all minds acting as one. With this video, the fact that it's just one guy playing to an edited recording that will play the same every time puts the possibility of internalizing those time changes even more within reach. It's an obsessive compulsive endeavor for sure, but doable. I liked this guy's video a lot by the way!
    You're probably right and if you are, I'm much more impressed by that video!

In an interview Ringo said that "Rain" was his favorite drum track out of the entire Beatles discography.

Paul is also well represented there, with 'Ticket To Ride', 'U.S.S.R.' and 'The Ballad Of John And Yoko'.

Great stuff, and a well deserved tribute to Ringo's genius. I also agree that the "Revolver" era, his absolute peak, could have been better represented. Not sure I'd noticed 1967 was an "off" year for him drumming-wise, what with "Strawberry Fields" and "A Day In The Life", to cite but two songs, released that year...

re: Mike K's remarks, I was also reminded of Tatsuya Yoshida's solo-with-tape-backing segments at various shows I've seen him do. Yes, he probably rehearsed to that same edit dozens if not hundreds of time, until the changes felt natural.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by billangus View Post
    Paul is also well represented there, with 'Ticket To Ride', 'U.S.S.R.' and 'The Ballad Of John And Yoko'.
    Are you suggesting Paul drummed on "Ticket To Ride" ? Never read anything to that effect. Wouldn't really have been feasible before they had access to bigger desks, which is probably why "U.S.S.R." is, as far as I know, the first Beatles track Paul drummed on (along with a couple of others from the White Album), although there has long been an unconfirmed rumour that he did all instruments and vocals on "Michelle".
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Paul didn't play drums on "Ticket to Ride." He did play bass and guitar, though. Being a John composition, he left Ringo to do his own thing, which was what he always did. Paul tended to direct Ringo on his own songs.

Lewisohn mentions nothing about Paul playing all the instruments on "Michelle." So, I think it was a rumor only.

John has said in an interview that Paul's main contribution to Ticket to Ride was coming up with the drum beat. Ringo did play it, though.

The drumming on Michelle is a good example of Ringo's patience: there isn't a single drum fill on that song, and it doesn't need any.

I seem to remember reading that there are two versions of Back In The USSR and Paul played one and Ringo the other. I think it may be erroneous that Paul is on the take on the album but now I hove to look that all up.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I seem to remember reading that there are two versions of Back In The USSR and Paul played one and Ringo the other. I think it may be erroneous that Paul is on the take on the album but now I hove to look that all up.
    I don't think so, Ringo had actually quit the band at the time, which is one reason why Paul sat in on the early takes. It's my understanding that the final track is a composite of takes from Paul, John and George. but, I'm pretty sure no Ringo.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I don't think so, Ringo had actually quit the band at the time, which is one reason why Paul sat in on the early takes. It's my understanding that the final track is a composite of takes from Paul, John and George. but, I'm pretty sure no Ringo.
    Well, that's what had always been said through the years. I don't remember where I thought I heard this new info. The Beatles Recording Sessions book is pretty definitive, I'll look at it when I get home

Edit- I do remember- it was Ken Scott's book. I'll look that up again.