Thread: Tom Petty

Tom Petty

Does anybody know which of these books is the best to get?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=tom+petty

The not yet released Zanes book sounds like it might be interesting, but otherwise I can only vouch for the Zollo book which is quite good.

I should really read some book about TP, since I've said for years that TP is my later years musical link to both Dylan & Da Boids.

A perfect example of someone who can't sing very well being a great singer.

The legends in the Wilburys and Lynne obviously thought he was worthy.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Not a book, but there was a good documentary I saw maybe five or six years ago, I think it was called Runnin' Down A Dream. It's like 3 hours long and covers his entire career, interviewing a couple of the guys who were in Mudcrutch, going straight through to all of the Heartbreakers years, straight up to around the time that Ron Blair rejoined the band. It's a good film. One of the best bits was when they were talking about the Damn The Torpedoes era, when Tom sued the record company, and they're talking about how they told the engineer after each day's session to "take the master tapes, but don't tell us where you're taking them, so that if we have to hand over the tapes if this lawsuit fails, we can legitimately say in court we don't know where the tapes are".

I'd go with the Zanes book, i like the idea that the author has a pretty close connection with the subject.