Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Mike Keneally : Scambot 1 & 2

Jefferson James
    Mike's music opened lots of doors for me and I will happily listen to any and everything he releases; that said, "Scambot" is definitely an exceptionally dense chunk of music for me to take in, after a few tries I put it on the shelf and got into "Bakin' at the Potato".

I love stuff like "The Universe Will Provide/Parallel Universe", "Evidence of Humanity" and "Nonkertomph" so it's not like I can't get into Mike's more experimental adventures

I tried reading the booklet along with the music, once, and realized I am incapable of listening and reading at the same time with any sense of coherency. It's a bit too much for me to take in all at once.

I'll keep revisiting because when Keneally music clicks with me, it's major. Making a note to pull this out and listen again this week in case there's a surprise test.

Keep listening! There's tons of great stuff on this record! My favorite bit of guitar work is on the brief instrumental, Foam. Such tasty phrasing, tones, and melody! For those who don't have the deluxe edition, you're missing the catchy, high energy rocker, Tiny Red Bug. I think this tune would have a wide appeal. And then there's Broken Chair, which is hilarious! And a really cool acoustic/electric version of Tomorrow with funny lyrics. That tune has an inventive, elongated riff that sounds great on acoustic guitar.

chalkpie
    Worthy of laudation for sure. Not my absolute favorite by MK, but pretty damn close. Even 5 spins won't do it IMO - were talking more like 10 here - its a dense sumbitch.

Really, really fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Really, really fantastic.

Love love love this album--it was my favorite release of whatever the hell year that was. Waiting patiently for Part 2!

yeah great news about scambot 2. As to the density, or complexity, or whatever... I believe there is no great music that can be fully digested on first listen.

All your good words are deeply appreciated. Thanks so much everyone. I'm grateful to everyone who's given this album time to sink in. Hopefully the rewards of the next one will be more immediate (although for those who crave more layered insanity, the physical edition comes with a second album called "Inkling" which delivers quite a bit of that stuff...)

^^
    Thumbs up, looking forward to diving in.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I could've written that myself. Though I love most of Mike's albums, I found this one considerably harder to crack. It does deserve more spins from me and that's in my plans, thanks to this thread.
    It's brilliant. And it's as much about the whole - Mike being an album oriented guy - as individual songs, i think. I love it. It's a dense, complex, funny and extremely musical listen, imho. I'm so excited for Scambot 2, i can hardly stand it! :droll
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

"Ladies and gentlemen,
    The monster,
    Which the peasants in this area call Scambot 2
    (apparently another Keneally extravagonzo)
    Has just been seen approaching the power plant
    Bullets can't stop it
    Rockets can't stop it
    We may have to use autobuy force!"

http://www.keneally.com/scambot-2-survey-thoughts/

Because I attended music school as a "percussion performance" major, I very much appreciate the arrangements by Zappa and Keneally that utilize mallet percussion instruments in the arrangement...............lovely stuff.

As an example................"Live In Japan"..............a nice addition to a fine composition.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post

As an example................"Live In Japan"..............a nice addition to a fine composition.
    Live in Japan is one of my very favorite tunes by anybody. Love that pseudo-rap in the end with the horn callbacks. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Live in Japan is one of my very favorite tunes by anybody. Love that pseudo-rap in the end with the horn callbacks. Brilliant.
    "Got a date to modulate so help me out Bob Tedde!" [immediately followed by key change]
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    "Ladies and gentlemen,
    The monster,
    Which the peasants in this area call Scambot 2
    (apparently another Keneally extravagonzo)
    Has just been seen approaching the power plant
    Bullets can't stop it
    Rockets can't stop it
    We may have to use autobuy force!"

http://www.keneally.com/scambot-2-survey-thoughts/
    I'll take one double, no fries!

Jefferson James
    Very happy to hear that wonderfulness in the form of Mike Keneally music is imminent.

In anticipation of Scambot 2, I'm ordering Scambot 1 (the deluxe edition) from the Keneally store. Seems I've been remiss by neglecting this one for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    Because I attended music school as a "percussion performance" major, I very much appreciate the arrangements by Zappa and Keneally that utilize mallet percussion instruments in the arrangement...............lovely stuff.

Same here! Really adds a lot of color and character to the music. I wish more rock and prog groups used mallet percussion instruments, even though I suppose they're not what one would typically associate with the idea of "rock".

I'll echo Ian by also saying that Live In Japan is one of my very favorite songs.

Well, Scambot 1 is definitely a dense musical confection. There's a lot going on here, but I'm looking forward to digging in.

Glad I sprung for the deluxe edition with the bonus disc. There's some really cool stuff on there.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Ordered the 2 discs and downloading the main album now

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Ordered the 2 discs and downloading the main album now
    Likewise.

Very much looking forward to hearing this! Was just listening to Evidence of Humanity yesterday while out for a drive in the country, and it was splendid.

This is a no-brainer!

I'm already done pre-ordering. How about you???

-S

Gonna order this tonight when I'm home. Scambot in a wet T-Shirt.

The Bot is mine! Scammed!!!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Bot is mine! Scammed!!!
    Got it in my digital clutches as well. So far, pretty great!

This is interesting stuff for sure. I can tell it's going to take multiple listens to absorb it all, and that's just fine by me.

Keeps getting better. "Roll" is like Audioslave as interpreted by early 80s Frank Zappa.