Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marillion- North American tour 2016

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Phenomenal? I think his voice is quite annoying anymore, but that's just me.

But even when he sounded better the word "phenomenal" never entered my head in describing his voice.
    In his prime, he was excellent. But I've always considered a great frontman.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    In his prime, he was excellent. But I've always considered a great frontman.
    I used to like him but then his mumbling singer-songwriter vocalizations and over-dramatic stage persona started to grate on me. I guess it all comes down to taste.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Los Trios Marillos did a short US tour in summer 2005 and they played at the World Cafe Live.
    I had no idea! That was before I moved here, but I still would have made the trip if I'd known. Wonder how I missed the news. Anyway, I'd definitely agree the WC (hmmm, sort of an unfortunate abbreviation, I just realized) is superb for that kind of performance. For the full band, though, I'd say the one in DE is the one with the right vibe.

http://queen.worldcafelive.com/priva...the-queen.html

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, I hear Steve Rothery's solo band is doing some shows in Europe where they're playing Misplaced Childhood in it's entirety. Now, THAT I'd like to see come Stateside, though it's unlikely it'll ever happen.
    I think I'd rather see this than Marillion at the moment. I'm really digging Rothery's band.

The Hooters sell-out anytime they play in the area. Fantastic live band.
    The Hooters are local and were as big if not bigger than Marillion in the US in the mid-1980s.

Marillion won't sell out the Keswick unless there are one or two bands of similar stature with them. TLA used to do seats (saw Transatlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment there seated) but I'd imagine the tickets will cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've only seen one show in Philly, and it was at the TLA (Fish -Sunsets...). Seemed like a good venue, for a standing only one, in that the floor had a good grade to it, so everyone could see well. A bit crappy aside from that. Also, that street was kind of insane at night. Amusing but insane.
    I was there and it was awesome. (Followed Fish around for a week on that tour... Philly, N.Y. Club Bene, The Chance. I think Mickey Simmonds thought we were stalking him.)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'm not surprised. BB's is a fucking terrible place to see a show... arena pricing and tiny-club claustrophobia all in one. Marillion needs a room expansive enough to suit the music (or at the very least the ceiling should be more than three feet above their heads). I don't know for sure whether the place gouges the bands on merch sales too, but it wouldn't surprise me considering what they charge just for an appetizer.

That rant aside, I could sort of see them benefiting from the atmosphere of Underground Arts or Johnny Brenda's, but again they're just way too cramped for this kind of show. I'm having a hard time imagining how they'd come across at World Cafe Philly either, but I suppose it could really work much better at the one in Wilmington.
    Eh, I saw them at this place twice, and it was great!

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    The Hooters are local and were as big if not bigger than Marillion in the US in the mid-1980s.

Marillion won't sell out the Keswick unless there are one or two bands of similar stature with them. TLA used to do seats (saw Transatlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment there seated) but I'd imagine the tickets will cost more.
    Transatlantic played the Keswick on their last tour.

Just sayin'.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've been a fan since Script came out and have never seen them. Partly because I live in the Atlanta area and they seem to shy away from the south, probably because only a handful of us know about them. And I'm not $ enough these days to travel to see any band, really. But I have their Live from Cadogon Hall dvd to watch!

Transatlantic played the Keswick on their last tour.

Just sayin'.
    I was there too.

I should have been more clear about that. I saw Transatlantic for the first time in 2000 at the TLA. There were seats (See the Live in America DVD.)

I just found out that Marillion are coming to the Keswick theater(for all you Philly area fans)next November. I definitely plan on seeing them this time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can you post all the tour dates so I don't have to get up?

There are no listings yet at m.com or the Keswick site. Did you get one of their emails or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I just found out that Marillion are coming to the Keswick theater(for all you Philly area fans)next November. I definitely plan on seeing them this time.
    w00t! w00t!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral
    There are no listings yet at m.com or the Keswick site. Did you get one of their emails or something?
    There's a video on the Marillion North America Facebook Page.

There's a video on the Marillion North America Facebook Page.
    Aha. Figures. FB is fucked enough that you can't even watch the video without having an account to log in with, but I'm sure the actual dates will pop up shortly. And hey, John Wesley! Sweet!

https://www.facebook.com/MarillionOf...4020517614341/

Hmm....I was hoping to post the actual video, not a link.

Oh, so non-members can directly load sub-pages but not the main one. Weird? Anyway, thanks.

10/21 San Francisco, California
    10/22 Beverly Hills, California
    10/25 Denver, Colorado
    10/27 Chicago, Illinois
    10/28 Chicago, Illinois
    10/29 Northfield, Ohio
    10/31 Toronto, Ontario
    11/1 Montreal, Quebec
    11/2 Quebec, Quebec
    11/4 Boston, Massachusetts
    11/5 Washington DC
    11/6 Glenside, Pennsylvania
    11/8 New York NY
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    10/21 San Francisco, California
    The Regency, folks. Meh. I was really hoping for The Fillmore, but I guess it's better than no show at all.

Marillion tends to favor standing shows in SF though the Regency is usually always seated. Hmmm...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

10/29 Northfield, Ohio
    Finally! Back in the CLE!

And on a Saturday, no less!

http://www.playstationtheater.com/events/detail/302853
    Tix for NYC (and I think most/all shows) go on-sale this Friday at noon et. 11 months prior to the gig.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The venue for Boston is Royale. It's mainly a dance club, seems a strange place for a Marillion concert. Anyone ever been there? Also, 60 bucks a ticket. Ouch! Google maps "See Inside" 360 view:

http://tinyurl.com/jjlzqff

(I'm guessing the couches won't be on stage for the show, then again the band are getting up there in years, they might need a rest

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    The venue for Boston is Royale. It's mainly a dance club, seems a strange place for a Marillion concert. Anyone ever been there? Also, 60 bucks a ticket. Ouch! Google maps "See Inside" 360 view:

http://tinyurl.com/jjlzqff

(I'm guessing the couches won't be on stage for the show, then again the band are getting up there in years, they might need a rest
    It's a much better venue than the Paradise where they usually play. The stage is good and high which helps out a vertically challenge individual like myself. I saw black field there a few years back.

http://www.playstationtheater.com/events/detail/302853
    Tix for NYC (and I think most/all shows) go on-sale this Friday at noon et. 11 months prior to the gig.
    Still holding out hope that this will be a seated show. God, standing at that venue sucks. Or any venue.

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    It's a much better venue than the Paradise where they usually play. The stage is good and high which helps out a vertically challenge individual like myself. I saw black field there a few years back.
    Cool, sounds good! Now if I can scape up $60 plus service charges before it sells out, I might be attending my first Marillion show in my 22 years of being a proud fan of both eras (alone again, though not in the lap of luxury).