Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Marillion- North American tour 2016

Oh yeah! I'll be there!
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've only seen one show in Philly, and it was at the TLA (Fish -Sunsets...). Seemed like a good venue, for a standing only one, in that the floor had a good grade to it, so everyone could see well. A bit crappy aside from that. Also, that street was kind of insane at night. Amusing but insane.
    That's South Street, man. Philly's little home for the hip and eclectic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And at night in the summer--gangs.

Never really had any issues with that, though I don't really hang out there.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    When I was there the street seemed hip and eclectic by day, but at night it seemed trashy and sort of ghetto.

Anyone know why Mark Kelly left Twitter? He deleted his account. Too bad, I used to enjoy reading his tweets.

I heard that last time Marillion played at the TLA in Philly the place was packed. I don't know their definition of packed(that could mean almost anything). When I saw Porcupine Tree there in 2001 it certainly wasn't packed but I can guarantee it would be now. Back then maybe 350 people showed up(at the most I'm guessing). Most of them were curious and just wanted to check out a concert or were avid prog fans. Back to Marillion though: I think they could draw between 400 and 800 people but that's just a guess. I don't see them playing in front of much more than that. I do think the Keswick would be a good venue. I don't know how big the new Fillmore is. That could be good also. I'll have to do some research on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    Anyone know why Mark Kelly left Twitter? He deleted his account. Too bad, I used to enjoy reading his tweets.
    I don't know, but IMO Twitter is a bad idea for anyone other than businesses and celebrities that need to address the world for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I heard that last time Marillion played at the TLA in Philly the place was packed. I don't know their definition of packed(that could mean almost anything). When I saw Porcupine Tree there in 2001 it certainly wasn't packed but I can guarantee it would be now. Back then maybe 350 people showed up(at the most I'm guessing). Most of them were curious and just wanted to check out a concert or were avid prog fans. Back to Marillion though: I think they could draw between 400 and 800 people but that's just a guess. I don't see them playing in front of much more than that. I do think the Keswick would be a good venue. I don't know how big the new Fillmore is. That could be good also. I'll have to do some research on that one.
    The TLA's capacity is 800. The first time time I saw them (on the Marbles tour), we had to stand at the very back of the club, as we couldn't get any closer - it was that packed. The second time, I was able to get tickets for the balcony, and it looked pretty crowded on the floor.

The Keswick holds 1300, and I'd imagine that Marillion could at least come close to selling that out.

I don't know, but IMO Twitter is a bad idea for anyone other than businesses and celebrities that need to address the world for whatever reason.
    Depends upon how media-savvy the business or celebrity is.

The TLA's capacity is 800. The first time time I saw them (on the Marbles tour), we had to stand at the very back of the club, as we couldn't get any closer - it was that packed. The second time, I was able to get tickets for the balcony, and it looked pretty crowded on the floor.

The Keswick holds 1300, and I'd imagine that Marillion could at least come close to selling that out.
    Scott, I agree. To this day they are still by far the most well known neo prog band(imo). I don't think any other neo band is well known outside of immediate prog circles but I know there are casual fans or music fans who aren't necessarily prog fans who like Marillion and are fans. Unfortunately that's what it takes for a prog band to be big even these days. They have to have some kind of following outside of our little universe. Steve Wilson(who is still not as well known as PT)was maybe 100 seats shy of selling out the Keswick when I saw him there earlier in the year. I would imagine Marillion could at least fill 900 of those 1300 seats(especially if they don't play any other shows in the area).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-06-2015 at 11:11 PM.

The last two times I've seen Marillion at the TLA (2004 and 2012) it was sold out.

Here are capacities in Philly venues all similarly sized:
    TLA: 800
    Trocadero: 1200
    Keswick: 1300
    Fillmore: 2500
    Electric Factory: 2500
    Underground Arts: 600
    Union Transfer: 1200
    World Cafe Live: 700
    Scottish Rite: 1000

I'm sure I'm leaving something out but those look to be the Philly-area options for Marillion. Not sure they could do the Fillmore or Electric Factory, but Union Transfer (never been there), the Keswick, the Troc, or Scottish Rite seem to be the best options for them.

Scott, I agree. To this day they are still by far the most well known neo prog band(imo). I don't think ay other neo band is well known outside of immediate prog circles but I know there are casual fans or music fans who aren't necessarily prog fans who like Marillion and are fans. Unfortunately that's what it takes for a prog band to be big even these days. They have to have some kind of following outside of our little universe. Steve Wilson(who is still not as well known as PT)was maybe 100 seats shy of selling out the Keswick when I saw him there earlier in the year. I would imagine Marillion could at least fill 900 of those 1300 seats(especially if they don't play any other shows in the area).
    Steven Wilson also had several tourdates in the tri-state area IIRC. Harrisburg, Philly, Newark, Wilmington, and NYC IIRC. I'm guessing Marillion will only be doing Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC.

I've never seen them. I'm hoping they come to a decent place in the philly region. I may have to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends upon how media-savvy the business or celebrity is.
    The key word in my sentence was "need." If they don't know how to do it effectively, they don't need to do it. I'm really thinking of food carts more than celebrities - food carts need Twitter more than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I've never seen them. I'm hoping they come to a decent place in the philly region. I may have to go.

I highly recommend it. They're a great live band.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I highly recommend it. They're a great live band.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately all my ducks have to fall in a row anymore for me to get to go to shows anymore. I've never heard their lead singer live but I've heard from several people that he's phenomenal.

I would rather see them in virtually any other Philly venue but the TLA. I can avoid Johnny Brenda's too as I'm not a fan of the area. Union Transfer would be a great choice, as well as the Keswick.

Being from South Jersey I vote for Scotish Rite or Keswick. I am not going if they play TLA because I stood for
    5 hours at their last show and there were sound problem.

I'm sort of surprised they've never played BB King's in NYC instead of the crap places they usually play (not that I love BB King's but it's ok), but BB King's probably does something irritating like taking a big cut of the merch money or something. I guess it's kind of small too.

I'm sort of surprised they've never played BB King's in NYC instead of the crap places they usually play (not that I love BB King's but it's ok), but BB King's probably does something irritating like taking a big cut of the merch money or something. I guess it's kind of small too.
    One of the many reasons I early don't like this establishment
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I'm not surprised. BB's is a fucking terrible place to see a show... arena pricing and tiny-club claustrophobia all in one. Marillion needs a room expansive enough to suit the music (or at the very least the ceiling should be more than three feet above their heads). I don't know for sure whether the place gouges the bands on merch sales too, but it wouldn't surprise me considering what they charge just for an appetizer.

That rant aside, I could sort of see them benefiting from the atmosphere of Underground Arts or Johnny Brenda's, but again they're just way too cramped for this kind of show. I'm having a hard time imagining how they'd come across at World Cafe Philly either, but I suppose it could really work much better at the one in Wilmington.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Unfortunately all my ducks have to fall in a row anymore for me to get to go to shows anymore. I've never heard their lead singer live but I've heard from several people that he's phenomenal.

Phenomenal? I think his voice is quite annoying anymore, but that's just me.

But even when he sounded better the word "phenomenal" never entered my head in describing his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    I would rather see them in virtually any other Philly venue but the TLA. I can avoid Johnny Brenda's too as I'm not a fan of the area. Union Transfer would be a great choice, as well as the Keswick.
    What's wrong with Johnny Brenda's? Too small for Marillion but the area isn't bad at all. That whole side of Fishtown and Northern Liberties has pretty much been gentrified in the last five years.

How do I know? I live 2 blocks away from Johnny Brenda's!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'm not surprised. BB's is a fucking terrible place to see a show... arena pricing and tiny-club claustrophobia all in one. Marillion needs a room expansive enough to suit the music (or at the very least the ceiling should be more than three feet above their heads). I don't know for sure whether the place gouges the bands on merch sales too, but it wouldn't surprise me considering what they charge just for an appetizer.

That rant aside, I could sort of see them benefiting from the atmosphere of Underground Arts or Johnny Brenda's, but again they're just way too cramped for this kind of show. I'm having a hard time imagining how they'd come across at World Cafe Philly either, but I suppose it could really work much better at the one in Wilmington.
    Los Trios Marillos did a short US tour in summer 2005 and they played at the World Cafe Live. Nice little room and good sound.