Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anderson/Ponty Band Tour 2015 REVIEWS

Did get that gooey, cosmic Yes feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Did get that gooey, cosmic Yes feeling?
    To a point.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    After the really exciting APB show in Ridgefield, CT last Friday, the four of us agreed that these - even imperfect - versions of Roundabout and other Yes songs are the best you will hear live today from any of the original band members. For that reason and many others, it was worth seeing their show. For me, the supporting musicians were a big part of the show, except for Jamie Glaser who was pretty full of himself.

The arrangements are not a mess, but rethought to please new and old audiences. It may be difficult to hear a favorite song from your childhood in a new tempo, with different instruments, but lots of other classic rock bands are realizing that their good songs have many ways of being expressed.
    It was also great to see many younger fans at the show, along with the long grey ponytails. Hey - it's Connecticut!
    Jamie is a very humble human being. Check him out on Facebook. He is very accessible and down to earth. He's gone through a lot in his life and is anything but full of himself. Anyway, I'll be seeing the show in SF on Nov. 17. Can't wait.

I saw the show Wednesday night in Long Island. Jon sounded stronger than he has in years and the band was very tight. The live album is such a bad representation of this band. I can't stand the idea of playing live and then completing eliminating the audience (I know they had to dub all the guitar parts over, which makes the DVD uncomfortable as they try to not to show the guitarist). Classy tribute to Squire by
    Anderson was the capper. I haven't seen Yes since 04, but I really enjoyed this evening. It's a strange combo that really works in a live setting. Good for both of these legends.

NYC show was amazing. Anderson sounded great. Blew away every Yesshow I've seen since he left. Huge JLP fan and have seen him a dozen or so times since the late '70's. Ponty's band was so damn tight. Rayford Griffin schools Alan White. Standing ovations all night. Everyone on their feet for "Roundabout". Smoking version. Ponty gave a nice tribute to his fellow Parisians and our fellow music fans saying this was the most emotional concert he's ever been a part of and then the band went into a kick a** rendition of his "Enigmatic Ocean" suite. Folks, this is a "run, don't walk" to type of band if they're in your area. Wow.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Mr. Obscured described the show very well!
    Saw them last night in Berkley perfomance Center in Boston. Didn't expect too much, honestly, but they exceeded my expectatin. Very enjoyable show.
    The best thing about this band is they did not pretend to be "Yes" like Davidson pretends to be Jon Anderson, etc. Their versions of Yes songs are very much of their own. They have fun, and it shows, not making $$$ by playing old songs just like on the LP again and again, like current fake "Yes" do.
    Jon is a really nice guy: he dedicated a song and said a lot of good words about Squire who basically kicked him out of the band while he was fighting for his life.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I've seen Ponty at least a dozen times over the past almost 40 years and he's usually all business on stage, but last night he seemed to he having a really fun time. At one point Anderson mentioned that when he stood next to "Steve" Jones it made him feel like a hobbit. Bassist Keith Jones is about a head taller than him. We had the misfortune of having great seats but sitting close to That Guy, the inevitable jackhole in every crowd who has to constantly yell out adjectives and names of musical instrument manufacturers, and attempt to sing at the top of his lungs any songs that he thinks he knows.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 11-15-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Mr. Obscured described the show very well!
    Saw them last night in Berkley perfomance Center in Boston. Didn't expect too much, honestly, but they exceeded my expectatin. Very enjoyable show.
    The best thing about this band is they did not pretend to be "Yes" like Davidson pretends to be Jon Anderson, etc. Their versions of Yes songs are very much of their own. They have fun, and it shows, not making $$$ by playing old songs just like on the LP again and again, like current fake "Yes" do.
    Jon is a really nice guy: he dedicated a song and said a lot of good words about Squire who basically kicked him out of the band while he was fighting for his life.
    I read that Jamie Glaser said the Berklee performance was especially meaningful for him as he graduated from there and he and fellow musicians were the first to play in the Center. Can't wait until Tuesday in SF! I'll be seventh row center. Anyone else going?

Couple of up close from either side, NYC-

Even with the sh*tty sound of these vids one can tell how strong Jon's voice is.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Looking forward to seeing them in two days in Sacramento! It will be nice to have a night out with music friends again. It's been a long time! I have not met Jamie yet, but his Facebook posts seem very genuine, so I don't know why he's getting so much flak here. In any case, I expect to be thrilled by the show!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Jamie's great.

Has there been any talk about a 2nd album, or is it just this?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I read that Jamie Glaser said the Berklee performance was especially meaningful for him as he graduated from there and he and fellow musicians were the first to play in the Center. Can't wait until Tuesday in SF! I'll be seventh row center. Anyone else going?
    I am, though I don't have a ticket yet. I just checked and they've sold out the front and middle floor sections, but for the Regency I usually hang out in the back by the bar anyways.

Holy smokes -- I just checked the ticket prices. With all the fees and extras it's a $75.00 show. That's almost twice as much as Steven Wilson's and Yes' recent shows, isn't it?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Jamie's great.

Has there been any talk about a 2nd album, or is it just this?
    I think they're considering a Kickstarter campaign for a second release.

All kidding aside, a proper studio recording would be nice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Even with the sh*tty sound of these vids one can tell how strong Jon's voice is.
    I think a live album would be a great idea.

I appreciate everyone's reviews so far, but could you guys stop beating around the bush, and just let us all know how it compares to Yes's recent shows? Christ, the way you're dancing around the subject, it's like you guys are afraid to talk shit about Yes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I appreciate everyone's reviews so far, but could you guys stop beating around the bush, and just let us all know how it compares to Yes's recent shows? Christ, the way you're dancing around the subject, it's like you guys are afraid to talk shit about Yes at all.
    The last time I was interested enough in Yes to attend a show, Jimmy Carter was still president.

So I just left the SF show and damn if it wasn't... pretty awesome.

There were clearly a lot of Jon fans and Yesheads in the crowd, and they ate up "Wonderous Stories" and "Long Distance Runaround". But what worked best IMO were the long, jamming danceable songs. That stuff is actually very Anderson but it's not very Yes-y.

We have a large Indian community in the Bay Area and it was awesome to see a bunch of these guys (all Ponty fans for the most part) having a great time and dancing their butts off. When was the last time you saw THAT at a Yes show (outside the usual Yeschicks)?

Anyways, I was on the fence about this til now but I think it would be a very good thing if Jon returned to Yes. Especially if he brought Rayford Griffin with him. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

had a lovely time at Sacramento last night. It was a bit mellower than I was hoping and the song choices of yessongs was a little too predictable. like others the highlight for me was definitely state of independence which I thought was awesome. I really wish he would mine his own back catalogue a little more would love to hear stuff like animation song of seven for friends of mr cairo. that said the new stuff was intriguing and I am definitely gonna look into getting the album and hopefully a future studio album!

I loved the concert. There were times I felt nostalgic for the JLP Band of the 70s and 80s, and wanted JLP's songs played without vocals. Overall, I enjoyed Jon's singing with the tunes. Then they played Enigmatic Ocean Pts. I and II! Just great. Egocentric Molecules at the end, too.
    Jon's voice sounded great. The band was killer. Keith and Rayford played some fine solos. Jamie's best solos were on acoustic. Jean-Luc has lost nothing.
    I did see him on the last RTF tour. He's always a treat. He said when you think of the horrific event in Paris, remember Boston and New York. Jon talked lovingly
    of Chris. The stage was once again too dark at The Regency Ballroom. The musicians and the audience had a great time. People were standing against the wall and some were dancing. At the end, a lot of folks were swaying while standing. Great energy from everyone.

I was at the Saban Theater in Los Angeles last night for the 2nd to last show of the tour. It was much the same as others here have described. Jon Anderson looked to be having a fantastic time and his voice was as good as every one has been saying. He was also quite the comedian between several of the tunes. Jon Luc Ponty was also in great form. I wish my fingers could do that.
    It is hard to believe these guys are as old as they are cause they looked, sounded and played great.

The band were all wonderful, very talented lads. There were a couple of tunes/arrangements that didn't fly so well for me but overall the new versions of songs were okay and they all seemed to be having a good time. The new intro to Roundabout was unexpected and quite fun. The audience was very into this performance. There were numerous standing ovations throughout the show. What a fun night.

I was at the Saban Theater show too in LA. Since Jon's severe respiratory issues to these days tonight was the best Jon's voice I heard. The theater was full. I don't know too much about JLP repertoire other than "New Country", which they played. To my taste they were OK but the JLP band didn't impress me. Anyway the important thing is I saw JA in a good form, shape and healthy.

I spotted Billy Sherwood and Trevor Rabin 2 seats in front of me. Billy clapped on several of the songs. Trevor was mostly static. Deborah Anderson was 1 row away, she sang and moved her arms in all the songs.
    To me Jon is ready to return to Yes or for something better. He surely needs a band.

For those who didn't get to catch this tour the tribute to Chris was incredibly moving. Jon clearly has nothing but love for "Christopher Robin", and Ponty's elegiac coda was breathtaking. Anyways, just watch...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

Anyways, I was on the fence about this til now but I think it would be a very good thing if Jon returned to Yes. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Agree..
    Agree---I think this line up playing Yes music is proof if you have solid players the music is still very powerful. For me JA back with Moraz and Howe White and a top session bass player would get me to go.

They don't want him back. It's like bringing your old pain-in-the-ass boss back to your work after you've gone for years being happily in charge yourself.