Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prog reference on Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    It rang a little false to me; I don't recall the music being called "Prog" rock in the late 70s.
    In 1978, I went to a friend down the street to borrow some Yes albums because I was going to see them in a few months. He said to me, "so you're getting into the Prog rockers now, huh?" So the term "Prog" was definitely around in the late 1970s, though perhaps not used everywhere (this was in Western Massachusetts). Either that, or this dude invented the term at that very moment in time, and the rest is history!

I watched the clip. I didn't think it was that funny, but maybe you need to get into the show more to get it. The name doesn't really sound like a "Prog" name to me either.

Bill

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Check out the music beginning around 38:50. Coincidence? (Somebody more tech-savvy may be able to embed it here, but not this Luddite)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Prock?
    Did Spock grok prock?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Check out the music beginning around 38:50. Coincidence? (Somebody more tech-savvy may be able to embed it here, but not this Luddite)
    It sounded like something from the mid 70s, but I couldn't place it.

I erased it off my DVR but I know exactly what you're talking about. It was cool. Would love to know what it was. You can usually Google music clearances for a given show, may have to do a little snooping...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think prog has been on a serious rise for a while. The problem is actually getting there. It seems that prog will never have mass appeal even if or when everyone knows about it. I suppose you could say the same about punk, classical and jazz though.
    "Prog" DID have mass appeal - once upon a time. The thing called "prog" which circles around today - no, not so much. And while punk, classical and jazz aren't exactly topping the charts nowadays, they all don a significant audience which is idiomatically self-conscious; meaning for example that there are huge festivals, weekly performances, steady sales and a substantial cultural activity maintaining popular knowledge of their phenomena. Do you honestly think that there'd be many threads about "punk-reference on Sex and the City!" on a punk forum - or perhaps "sorta dim jazz music on Frasier!" on a jazz forum - any time soon?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I erased it off my DVR but I know exactly what you're talking about. It was cool. Would love to know what it was. You can usually Google music clearances for a given show, may have to do a little snooping...
    That's a job for the Shazam app. If you don't have that on your phone - get it! I've used it several times to tell me what a song was when I would have had no idea. For example, I was watching a YT video of old WWII footage, and I loved the dramatic music that was playing, but had no way of knowing what it was. Fired up Shazam and in seconds it told me it was Daft Punk, and the track was "Disc Wars" from the Tron Legacy soundtrack. I would *never* have come close to knowing that. Bought the song and it now resides among my "Dramatic Film Scores" playlist. Brilliant!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I can't think of any prog rock bands (that would be somewhat known to the general public at least) with the template, "<full name of band member> and the <plural noun to denote the rest of the band members>".... so with no frame of reference like that, the joke goes nowhere. If instead there was a reference to a law firm with 3 names, say "Dewey, Cheatem and Howe", someone could make the joke, "Is that a law firm or a prog rock band?" and at least some in the audience would make a connection with Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

And yeah, the term progressive rock was definitely around in the 70's. I used to listen to a one-hour program on a college radio station, name of the show escapes me but they billed it as a progressive rock program. The woman who hosted it used the nickname "Snapper" and had an incredibly sexy voice.

I am still surprised by how many people I encounter, who have been listening to music long enough, who have never heard the term "prog rock." I've had people ask, "what kind of music do you listen to?" and when I include "prog rock" on the list, they have no idea what I'm talking about, even when I qualify it as progressive rock.
    Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 10-29-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    And yeah, the term progressive rock was definitely around in the 70's.
    But the comment in question was in regard to its abbreviation, "prog rock" - not "progressive rock"; the latter was in fact in circulation already before the point where some people in here appear to believe the initial "progressive rock" music was born, i.e. on the release of the debut KC album.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I found the credit for the composer of the show's incidental music, Jeff Russo. Maybe someone with more time can shoot him a query. He is/was apparently a member of a band called "Tonic".

On Oct 29, 2015 I wrote:

> Hey Jeff,
    > Loving your work on Fargo, where a number of fellow prog lovers enjoyed the
    > prog reference ("Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers...sounds like a
    > prog-
    > rock band"), as well as the incidental music at the end ofthe scene (around
    > the 38:40-50 mark) which sounded very "proggy." Wondering if this was
    > deliberate on your part? You can follow the online discussion here...
    >
    > http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-reference-on-
    > Fargo
    >
    > ..and if you could send me a file of that piece, I'd love to post it there
    > for
    > those who may have missed it!
    >
    > keep up the great work!
    >
    > Rick

Jeff replied:

It was definitely deliberate.. The whole piece I wrote for the show will be on the soundtrack. I’ll post it on my website until it comes out..

Thanks so much! I’ll check out the forum board..

Have a great day!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I can't think of any prog rock bands (that would be somewhat known to the general public at least) with the template, "<full name of band member> and the <plural noun to denote the rest of the band members>"
    Does Hatfield and the North count?
    Alec K. Redfearn and the Eyesores?
    Ruben and the Jets?
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Ruben and the Jets?
    Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men?
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

On Oct 29, 2015 I wrote:

It was definitely deliberate.. The whole piece I wrote for the show will be on the soundtrack. I’ll post it on my website until it comes out..
    Pretty cool. He hasn't updated his site with anything Fargo related for over a year.

So it was an original cue... how about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Oh, these don't count. They're not known to the "general public", y'see.

Rick Wakeman and the English Rock Ensemble.

But really, that form was very very unusual in the prawg genre.

It rang a little false to me too cause I didn't think anyone reffered to it as "PROG" rock in '79 either. But who cares, the writers definetely have knowledge and/or respect for the genre, and thats all that counts for me cause overall this series is brilliant. Personally, I think this season could prove to be better than season one. Its definetely my favorite tv series (along with Homeland). And as far as the accents go, this is my take on that: I am a southerner(Tennessee) who is now in Minnestota for a job. While my accent is instantly noticeable and exagerrated to them, most of their accents are more mild to me than expected. Its in the EAR of the beholder. But I will say that there have been more rural residents whose accents are pretty darn close to those in the show-you betcha. And I hear "Okay then" as much as I say "Ya'll". And alot of the mannerisms and "friendliness" rings true! And they're as embarrased of the show as I am of Graceland(Home of the king-my home town).
    Last edited by YESHEAD777; 10-30-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Fargo is THE best thing on TV at the moment. Don't forget the use of Billy Thorpe's Children of the sun in Ep 1. Not to mention the uncredited star player, that 1965 Corvair Monza Coupe. I had that exact vehicle (except mine was beige) from '79 to '81. I'm certain I listened to lots of great music in that car, including the previously mentioned gem.

By the way, I never heard the term Prog OR Progressive Rock until I joined this group in 2004 (grew up in Enfield, CT).
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    lol, even on this short clip they have to exaggerate the accent. I would love to watch this show, but that goddamn, inaccurate accent prevents me from ever watching it. Really sad as it has a lot of people I like.
    Oh now hon, doncha know its only a little bit of fun, eh? My wife's from Deer River and she howls over Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    It rang a little false to me too cause I didn't think anyone reffered to it as "PROG" rock in '79 either.
    Bullshit. Topographic Oceans was widely praised/derided as progressive rock and that was '73.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bullshit. Topographic Oceans was widely praised/derided as progressive rock and that was '73.
    I'm starting to think this was a regional thing. In the northeast (Pittsburgh, anyway) that was absulutely the case. They had a radio station back then that called itself a progressive rock station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progre...adio_format%29

Anyone catch "Locomotive Breath" at the beginning of Monday's episode?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Anyone catch "Locomotive Breath" at the beginning of Monday's episode?
    Yeah.

It was weird seeing people being killed, but I thought it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Progressive rock" , sure, but I don't recall reading/hearing about "prog" until getting on the 'net many years later.