Thread: Gentle Giant reissues - which ones?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Gentle Giant reissues - which ones?

I know that Steve Wilson has begun remixing this catalog but when I start sourcing Gentle Giant on line there seem to be a bunch of reissues of this catalog from 25th Anniversary reissues to 35th Anniversary Alucard to Japanese SHM editions - are the Wilson remixes the be-all-end-all or should I take advantage of what's already been reissued (and cheaper). I currently only own two first issue CDs of this band (Octopus and Free Hand) but would like better sounding copies.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

The Alucard reissues from around 2010 were very nice sounding from what I remember.

There are also the ones that were done by Repertoire in mini LP sleeves, but just the first four albums I believe.

Haven't heard the Wilson remix of Octopus yet, and while The Power And The Glory was quite nice, I wouldn't call it the be-all-end-all necessarily. Just a different way to experience the album.

Avoid the 35th Anniversary versions

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Avoid the 35th Anniversary versions
    Agreed, these were not very good.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

If you can get your hands of those from Repertoire Records... I think they are OOP http://www.repertoirerecords.com/artists/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    If you can get your hands of those from Repertoire Records... I think they are OOP http://www.repertoirerecords.com/artists/
    Those where limeted from the start, but can still be found for normal Prices. They sounded good and had very nice mini LP packaging.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Actually I think I miss reported... the Alucard aren't the same as the 35th Anniversary reissues. The Alucard are a 24bit reissue a few years later it seems. Luckily for me, I'm not overly invested in this band to have purchased three different versions of the same album (the way I did Yes).

the I lost my head set is a nice inexpensive way to grab the bands latter material and I think they sound quite good. many are not fans of the final few albums but its got free hand interview and playing the fool which are essential.

Except For Octopus on SACD, from what I've heard of Giant's Vertigo years on CD?

Vinyl.

And it isn't even a race.

I really thought the Alucard Interview CD was an improvement over the Road Goes On Forever disc.